Faith Schools Menace - New Dawkins Documentary

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Faith Schools Menace - New Dawkins Documentary

#81  Postby natselrox » Aug 19, 2010 10:03 am

T0rr3nts?
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#82  Postby MattHunX » Aug 19, 2010 10:07 am

natselrox wrote:T0rr3nts?

None yet. Not on the major sites anyway. :nono: The last time I checked...few hours ago.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#83  Postby natselrox » Aug 19, 2010 10:09 am

MattHunX wrote:

None yet. Not on the major sites anyway. :nono: The last time I checked...few hours ago.

I'm on a crappy connection now. Don't forget to send the link if and when you get them. :cheers:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#84  Postby SPMaximus » Aug 19, 2010 10:11 am

zi forbidden word, ye must not speak of it! we call it "you know what"
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#85  Postby MattHunX » Aug 19, 2010 10:11 am

natselrox wrote:
MattHunX wrote:

I'm on a crappy connection now. Don't forget to send the link if and when you get them. :cheers:

Will do! :cheers:
MattHunX

Print view this post

#86  Postby Macros1980 » Aug 19, 2010 10:37 am

Looks like next week's offering is a 2-hour televised version of TGD. :plot: Should be fun.

Channel 4 wrote:Professor Richard Dawkins launches a wholehearted attack on religion as the cause for much of the pain and suffering in the world.
To presume that your one-in-64-million chance thing is a miracle is to significantly underestimate the total number of... things... that there are. -Tim Minchin
Macros1980

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Scarlett » Aug 19, 2010 10:51 am

Macros1980 wrote:Looks like next week's offering is a 2-hour televised version of TGD. :plot: Should be fun.

Channel 4 wrote:Professor Richard Dawkins launches a wholehearted attack on religion as the cause for much of the pain and suffering in the world.

2hrs? I'm excited already :dance:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#88  Postby devogue » Aug 19, 2010 11:32 am

That science "teacher" was a disgrace. She should be out of a job this morning.

Leaving aside the religion/science debate and whether someone agrees with evolution or not for a second, for a person to get a job as a science teacher in a British school and not have a basic understanding of human evolution is shocking and disgusting.

Dawkins asked her a very simple question:

"If humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes now?"

- and she was absolutely lost, completely without a clue.

That woman is paid between £20-30,000 a year of taxpayers money. I'm a thick twat who runs a bloody shop and I know more about evolution than someone who is being paid as a science teacher? WTF? And for the headmaster to come out with the old "evolution is just a theory, it's not a fact" canard...a headmaster!! A so called "learned" man!! Fuck off!! :nono:
It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Scarlett » Aug 19, 2010 11:40 am

devogue wrote:That science "teacher" was a disgrace. She should be out of a job this morning.

Leaving aside the religion/science debate and whether someone agrees with evolution or not for a second, for a person to get a job as a science teacher in a British school and not have a basic understanding of human evolution is shocking and disgusting.

Dawkins asked her a very simple question:

"If humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes now?"

- and she was absolutely lost, completely without a clue.

That woman is paid between £20-30,000 a year of taxpayers money. I'm a thick twat who runs a bloody shop and I know more about evolution than someone who is being paid as a science teacher? WTF? And for the headmaster to come out with the old "evolution is just a theory, it's not a fact" canard...a headmaster!! A so called "learned" man!! Fuck off!! :nono:

I found it almost as frustrating watching the catholic irish guy (I think he was in charge of catholic education, but I might be wrong), he just shouldn't have bothered agreeing to the interview, he never said anything coherent or constructive despite consistently talking over Dawkins, I was furious, at least he never made any points that some may see as valid. Dawkins very admirably stayed calm
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Wiðercora » Aug 19, 2010 11:56 am

Just finished watching it...Jesus fucking Christ. I realised that out of the 3 schools in my area, two are faith schools.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Scarlett » Aug 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Wiðercora wrote:Just finished watching it...Jesus fucking Christ. I realised that out of the 3 schools in my area, two are faith schools.

I had no idea it was like that either, I know they were only referring to England I must try to find out the situation in Scotland

I know in my town of 26,000 people there is only one faith school, the catholic primary school. Although don't start me on the level of faith of the remaining schools :roll:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#92  Postby devogue » Aug 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Paula1 wrote:I found it almost as frustrating watching the catholic irish guy (I think he was in charge of catholic education, but I might be wrong), he just shouldn't have bothered agreeing to the interview, he never said anything coherent or constructive despite consistently talking over Dawkins, I was furious, at least he never made any points that some may see as valid. Dawkins very admirably stayed calm

That twat was playing to the gallery, and he came up with a completely facetious argument. He will be back-slapped today by the parents of the children at his school for putting Dawkins in his place.

Dawkins stated that he wanted his child to have an education free from indoctrination, the headmaster said (to all intents and purposes) that children should be indoctrinated. That was the absolute bottom line, the difference in their thinking.

But Dawkins allowed the aggressive and hot-headed headmaster to shift the goalposts away from that fundamental question to harp on about the "human rights" of parents. I don't understand why Dawkins didn't nail him - I was fucking screaming at the TV.
It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Animavore » Aug 19, 2010 12:40 pm

Just watched it now. I thought he let that Catholic guy get the better of him too. He even let him away with calling him, "dictator". Of course Dawkins got the last word because it was his show but I just feel he fucked up on that one.
I agree with the overall point of the show. The Muslims were the ones that really pissed me off, despite coming across as a bit confused, it's just a disgrace that they are learning about science and then told that the Koran supersedes it just so they can get around the Ofsted (for all non-religion curricula, 'cause, of course, Ofsted don't look at their R.E.). No wonder Dawkins' Professor friend was complaining that he more and more frequently gets challenged on his subject (molecular biology I think it was) by Muslims.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Scarlett » Aug 19, 2010 12:46 pm

I would disagree the catholic guy got the better of him, he was very obviously losing his cool, Dawkins kept his, if Dawkins loses it there's far too many people ready (including some on this forum) to jump on him for it. The guy showed himself for what he was, a tit
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Animavore » Aug 19, 2010 12:48 pm

The God Delusion programme, as far as I can make out, is simply his programme from a few years ago shown as one part instead of two.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#96  Postby Macros1980 » Aug 19, 2010 12:50 pm

devogue wrote:
Paula1 wrote:I found it almost as frustrating watching the catholic irish guy (I think he was in charge of catholic education, but I might be wrong), he just shouldn't have bothered agreeing to the interview, he never said anything coherent or constructive despite consistently talking over Dawkins, I was furious, at least he never made any points that some may see as valid. Dawkins very admirably stayed calm

That twat was playing to the gallery, and he came up with a completely facetious argument. He will be back-slapped today by the parents of the children at his school for putting Dawkins in his place.

Dawkins stated that he wanted his child to have an education free from indoctrination, the headmaster said (to all intents and purposes) that children should be indoctrinated. That was the absolute bottom line, the difference in their thinking.

But Dawkins allowed the aggressive and hot-headed headmaster to shift the goalposts away from that fundamental question to harp on about the "human rights" of parents. I don't understand why Dawkins didn't nail him - I was fucking screaming at the TV.

Likewise. He asked something along the lines of "Do you think parents should have the basic human right to choose the manner of their children's education?" He was trying to draw Dawkins into a "Yes" or "No" answer. When Dawkins tried to give a considered response, he was shouted down.

As he went on to point out, the rights of the parents to choose must be balanced against the rights of the children. Children have the right not to be brainwashed and indoctrinated. A line has to be drawn somewhere, and it is (should be) the responsibility of the government to say where parental choice ends. Obviously, parental choice does not extend to brainwashing their kids with racist or murderous ideologies. So parental choice is, demonstrably, not sacrosanct.

IMHO, no form of childhood indoctrination should be allowed in schools of any sort. End of story. Even if these schools were privately funded, I'd still have a massive problem with them.
To presume that your one-in-64-million chance thing is a miracle is to significantly underestimate the total number of... things... that there are. -Tim Minchin
Macros1980

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Macros1980 » Aug 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Animavore wrote:The God Delusion programme, as far as I can make out, is simply his programme from a few years ago shown as one part instead of two.

Do you mean the "Root of all Evil?" ones?

I'm hoping for new stuff. :pray:
Macros1980

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Animavore » Aug 19, 2010 12:57 pm

Macros1980 wrote:
Animavore wrote:The God Delusion programme, as far as I can make out, is simply his programme from a few years ago shown as one part instead of two.

I checked it. It is The Root of All Evil. You can even watch it on 4oD now.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-god-delusion

Maybe they changed the title because Richard said he never liked it in the first place?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#99  Postby Macros1980 » Aug 19, 2010 1:18 pm

Animavore wrote:
Macros1980 wrote:

I checked it. It is The Root of All Evil. You can even watch it on 4oD now.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-god-delusion

Maybe they changed the title because Richard said he never liked it in the first place?

D'oh! :confused:

Never mind. These were really good documentaries. I'll enjoy watching them again. Remember the ex-Jewish Muslim from New York, living in Jerusalem? That interview was the first time I've ever seen Dawkins come close to losing his rag.

Interviewee: Blah-blah western decadence. Blah-blah-blah the way you dress your women...
Dawkins: THEY DRESS THEMSELVES!

:lol:

Couldn't find a video clip.
Macros1980

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#100  Postby Lightf00t » Aug 19, 2010 1:57 pm

Richard Dawkins is a prick, and his marxism was exposed when he said that parents don't own their children. It's obvious to anyone that he thinks the government should own children. Fucking marxists are addicted to tyranny.
Lightf00t
Banned Troll

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting & Education