Faith Schools Menace - New Dawkins Documentary

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Faith Schools Menace - New Dawkins Documentary

#61  Postby Macros1980 » Aug 18, 2010 10:38 pm

Aca wrote:
Kazaman wrote:
Macros1980 wrote:Religion: For consenting adults, in private.

That sounds a bit like sex, except far less fun. :ask:

:lol:

reposted

Wow. I've just found this attributed to Francis Crick! What a bloody legend.
To presume that your one-in-64-million chance thing is a miracle is to significantly underestimate the total number of... things... that there are. -Tim Minchin
Macros1980

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Ubjon » Aug 18, 2010 10:40 pm

mraltair wrote:That Muslim science teacher should be fired. How can you claim to teach ToE and not know simple facts about it, thats not teaching ToE at all. Fresh water and salt water don't mix, it flows through each other? You mean mixes? Otherwise your being an idiot.

I hope the girl that wants to be a doctor knows shes got about 8 more years worth of science education to catch up on even before she starts her degree.

Good program though. The kids at the end looked so bored. I know hoe they felt, I hated assemblies.

She won't become a doctor. I went to university with a fundamentalist Christian and she failed her degree because she held onto her beliefs which were in direct contradiction to the subject she studied (Biology).
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#63  Postby mraltair » Aug 18, 2010 11:05 pm

Ubjon wrote:
mraltair wrote:That Muslim science teacher should be fired. How can you claim to teach ToE and not know simple facts about it, thats not teaching ToE at all. Fresh water and salt water don't mix, it flows through each other? You mean mixes? Otherwise your being an idiot.

I hope the girl that wants to be a doctor knows shes got about 8 more years worth of science education to catch up on even before she starts her degree.

Good program though. The kids at the end looked so bored. I know hoe they felt, I hated assemblies.

She won't become a doctor. I went to university with a fundamentalist Christian and she failed her degree because she held onto her beliefs which were in direct contradiction to the subject she studied (Biology).

Yeah thats what I think. I hope she realises the absurdity of the idea she hold now about science and starts to use science in science based subjects.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Enoch » Aug 18, 2010 11:27 pm

That Muslim lady was a science teacher?.....
Enoch

Name: Phil
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#65  Postby SPMaximus » Aug 18, 2010 11:42 pm

:popcorn:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Re: DAwkins TV show tonight

#66  Postby King David » Aug 19, 2010 12:40 am

I'd love to watch it. One thing that sucks about living in America is being unable to watch British TV. American news media sucks in comparison.
Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer. -Humphry Davy
King David

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#67  Postby jerome » Aug 19, 2010 1:16 am

Anything is better than Danish TV, if my memory serves me correctly. I t could have got better though, been decades :)
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#68  Postby jaydot » Aug 19, 2010 2:16 am

interesting. from a voice crying in the wilderness, he's now got people thinking.
jaydot

Print view this post

#69  Postby HughMcB » Aug 19, 2010 2:37 am

Well how did it go? :scratch:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#70  Postby DanDare » Aug 19, 2010 2:55 am

Macros1980 wrote:I'll concede that moderate religionists, who allow their kids access to proper education and who let them make up their own minds, can't really be blamed for wanting what they see as best for their children. I guess these parents cannot really be said to be guilty of abuse.

Its still abuse, its just not intentional.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#71  Postby DanDare » Aug 19, 2010 2:57 am

Anyone found a linky to let us poor bloody auzzies see it?
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#72  Postby HughMcB » Aug 19, 2010 3:03 am

Yeah I wanna see it too. :(
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Scarlett » Aug 19, 2010 6:59 am

HughMcB wrote:Well how did it go? :scratch:

It was really good Hugh, someone mentioned a site earlier in the thread you may be able to download it. If not I've recorded it on Sky+, pop round for a coffee ;)

Oooh that wink made it look like "coffee" when I actually did mean coffee, us girls should really make ourselves clearer ;)

There was some really interesting stuff coming back from the kids he spent time with, he had a psychologist talk to some kids at one point, I won't spoil it for you
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Scarlett » Aug 19, 2010 7:06 am

I'd be really interested how a series of programmes like this would go down in other countries? It's not even controversial here, we're either so liberal or so full of apathy it doesn't create a stir at all

Doesn't help it was relegated to one of the fringe channels tho, I think that's down to the apathy :roll:

But would it be shown at all in other countries? Would there be a public outcry?
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#75  Postby MattHunX » Aug 19, 2010 7:10 am

Every site I find the documentary on says the same, that "it's not available in my area". Some even show a message saying, it's because the makers or whoever didn't give permission to show it outside of the UK. I'm fed up with this non-sense. It's the damn internet. It's supposed be available to everyone, everywhere, anytime not just Brits.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#76  Postby DanDare » Aug 19, 2010 7:19 am

Paula1 wrote:I'd be really interested how a series of programmes like this would go down in other countries? It's not even controversial here, we're either so liberal or so full of apathy it doesn't create a stir at all

Doesn't help it was relegated to one of the fringe channels tho, I think that's down to the apathy :roll:

But would it be shown at all in other countries? Would there be a public outcry?

It will probably get a gurnsey on the ABC as a Compass special. Then there will be some "bloody Dawkins militant atheist" mutterings. Then some twat will bring up the private schools vs public schools debate again and all the usual bullshit will circulate for a few more days. The waters will smooth over. The pond will once again remain undisturbed.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Macros1980 » Aug 19, 2010 8:02 am

Just spent the last half-hour trying to find a program to "capture" the video from the 4od site. No luck, I'm afraid. Perhaps you guys could connect to the 4od site via a UK-based proxy site?
To presume that your one-in-64-million chance thing is a miracle is to significantly underestimate the total number of... things... that there are. -Tim Minchin
Macros1980

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#78  Postby hackenslash » Aug 19, 2010 8:31 am

Macros1980 wrote:Just spent the last half-hour trying to find a program to "capture" the video from the 4od site.

Cam Studio.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#79  Postby Macros1980 » Aug 19, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks Hack. I'm having some technical difficulties, though. It doesn't want to pick up any audio. I'm getting "WaveoutGetSelectControl() failed." This is quite apart from the fact that the video doesn't seem to want to stream at the moment. Might try from home later.
Macros1980

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Aug 19, 2010 10:01 am

If anyone can find a (free) working proxy ip address from the UK we can use that, i'm working on it and if i find one i'll post instructions here.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting & Education