Please help

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Please help

#21  Postby Lazar » May 31, 2010 2:07 pm

b00rek wrote:I came up with an idea. Maybe I should give her Sagan's Cosmos to watch. I used to love it and still do.

:thumbup: then sneak her a few zomgitscriss youtube vid's. That is what I would do were it not for the fact my sister-in-law (wife's sister) is chief woo.

Spinozasgalt: "And how come no one ever sigs me?"
Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Dries van Tonder » May 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Lazar wrote:
b00rek wrote:I came up with an idea. Maybe I should give her Sagan's Cosmos to watch. I used to love it and still do.

:thumbup: then sneak her a few zomgitscriss youtube vid's. That is what I would do were it not for the fact my sister-in-law (wife's sister) is chief woo.

I just love her youtube videos :thumbup: :thumbup:
Reality is an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Dries van Tonder

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#23  Postby MichelleZB » Jun 07, 2010 2:58 pm

First of all, be a good brother. Call home from university, ask her how her life's going, send cards at holidays, etc. If you have a good relationship with your sister, you'll have your whole life to convert her. ;)

Obviously, you grew up in a religious household--the same one she's growing up in! What converted you?
MichelleZB

Print view this post

#24  Postby b00rek » Jun 27, 2010 11:03 pm

What converted me? James Randi and Shermer, seriously.
b00rek

Croatia (hr)
Print view this post

#25  Postby tuco » Jun 27, 2010 11:12 pm

Maybe what your parents mean by saying "You are young, you'll get it one day." is to say that one day you'll come to realize that imposing on another or/and indoctrinating another is not as cool as one might think, in other words helping others against their will does not necessarily mean helping them in fact.
tuco

Print view this post

#26  Postby Nostalgia » Jul 04, 2010 6:24 pm

tuco wrote:Maybe what your parents mean by saying "You are young, you'll get it one day." is to say that one day you'll come to realize that imposing on another or/and indoctrinating another is not as cool as one might think, in other words helping others against their will does not necessarily mean helping them in fact.

He's trying to save his wee sister from a life wasted believing in woo and superstitious nonsense!

Not only is that cool, it's honourable, kind, loving and wonderful.

I guess I'm lucky; my sibling doesn't have an existential bone in her body.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Parenting & Education