Raspberry Pi computer

Can it get kids into code?

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Raspberry Pi computer

#1  Postby DougC » Mar 02, 2012 1:54 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17192823
B.B.C. article
"The hope of Britain's future computer science industry is gathered around a tiny device in a school classroom in Cambridgeshire.
The pupils of Chesterton Community College ICT class have been invited to road-test the long-awaited Raspberry Pi computer.
A projector throws the image of what the Pi is generating - a simple game of Snake (available on any Nokia phone near you) - onto a whiteboard.
The atmosphere is feverish as the 12 year olds compete for the keyboard.
Crucially, they are not just playing the game - they have created it by writing their own computer code."
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Raspberry Pi computer

#2  Postby mattthomas » Mar 02, 2012 9:19 am

Me and my daughter sat down last night and wrote a game in 10 minutes using scratch

It's just a cat you can move left and right and fish fall from the sky, you have to press up to catch the fish as it falls into your mouth, good fish get you a point, bad fish lose you 5 points...

It's piss easy, she's 10 and it's introducing her to variables, conditional statements, loops etc etc.... So for kids, scratch is bloody awesome, I wish I'd had it when I was 10.

E.T.A. I will be buying a Raspberry Pi when they email me to say they're available, £22 for a computer capable of playing HD movies at 1080p, running a fedora core with the ability to chuck a TB USB drive as storage... yes please.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#3  Postby DougC » Mar 10, 2012 12:41 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17311146
B.B.C. article
"Manufacturing problems will mean the first batches of the £22 ($35) Raspberry Pi computer, aimed at helping people learn programming, are delayed."
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby mraltair » Mar 17, 2012 4:37 pm

I'm getting one for myself. I've only recently started to learn JavaScript on Codecademy, and had a play around with Scratch, which looks great for kids as mattwilson said.

I want to get into writing programs, even as a hobby and I think the RPi will provide something cheap and powerful that I can make and break. This is what will make it great for school kids. Teachers wont worry so much if kids start delving deeper into what you can do with Fedora or programming, if it breaks, get a new one. :)

I've registered my boss to get one for work to see what the school can do with it. Not sure if he knows yet, but he's Head of ICT/IT Manager, he should be excited. He's not. :what:

We've got students that write batch files trying to bypass permissions and the internet filter. One kid has written and sold several iPhone apps, hes 13. They need some form of computer science to keep them interested, but all they receive is how to make a spreadsheet or a flyer. I really hope schools jump on the RPi.

I'm excited, even if nobody else is. :grin:
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to Parenting & Education