Taste?

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Taste?

#1  Postby LIFE » Sep 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Attention: This may probably be a very stupid question but I'll ask it anyways :shifty:

Say for example the cauliflower. When it's getting cooked and its abhorrent stench is being exposed to my nose I almost have to puke. And the taste is even worse. But my whole family loves it, my sister even likes to eat it cold out of the refrigerator :puke: How come? I mean wouldn't it make more sense if we only ate the stuff that is being perceived as tasting pleasant by our taste buds? I find the taste of cauliflower to be bitter yet Tonic Water is my favourite type of drink so the bitterness alone can't be what puts me off :scratch:

Me not understand :(

Also, is this closely related to the pain phenomena with chillies etc?
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Re: Taste?

#2  Postby SPMaximus » Sep 22, 2010 5:30 pm

mmmmm cauliflower
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#3  Postby LIFE » Sep 22, 2010 5:32 pm

It's probably not such a good idea to tell people what my kryptonite is...
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#4  Postby HughMcB » Sep 22, 2010 5:39 pm

Cauliflower is the tits. Let alone uncooked cauliflower that rocks.

I also recommend uncooked broccoli, fucking delicious! :hungry:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby LIFE » Sep 22, 2010 5:42 pm

HughMcB wrote:I also recommend uncooked broccoli, fucking delicious! :hungry:

Almost as bad :ill:

So, can someone address the OP, please? Or at least give me some pointers...
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#6  Postby SPMaximus » Sep 22, 2010 6:19 pm

uncooked broccoli is awful, cooked is delicious, but cooking cauliflower is a waste of time, just grab a whole one, put some dressing on and bury your face in the deliciousness of it :P
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#7  Postby HughMcB » Sep 22, 2010 6:21 pm

LIFE wrote:But my whole family loves it, my sister even likes to eat it cold out of the refrigerator :puke: How come? I mean wouldn't it make more sense if we only ate the stuff that is being perceived as tasting pleasant by our taste buds?

I don't really get it, I mean they simply like the taste and you don't. Is it that you're asking whether you actually perceive the taste differently, or whether they actually like a taste you think is bad?
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8  Postby GreyICE » Sep 22, 2010 6:23 pm

LIFE wrote:Attention: This may probably be a very stupid question but I'll ask it anyways :shifty:

Say for example the cauliflower. When it's getting cooked and its abhorrent stench is being exposed to my nose I almost have to puke. And the taste is even worse. But my whole family loves it, my sister even likes to eat it cold out of the refrigerator :puke: How come? I mean wouldn't it make more sense if we only ate the stuff that is being perceived as tasting pleasant by our taste buds? I find the taste of cauliflower to be bitter yet Tonic Water is my favourite type of drink so the bitterness alone can't be what puts me off :scratch:

Me not understand :(

Also, is this closely related to the pain phenomena with chillies etc?

My best thought is that you, like anyone who has different tastes than me, are most likely defective.

I'm not sure medical science has gotten around to curing this, so until they do, you'll just have to suffer.
GreyICE

Name: Kiss my ass

Print view this post

#9  Postby natselrox » Sep 22, 2010 6:26 pm

This hardwiring of 'good taste means it is good for you' might be true on a very superficial level but I think the taste-processing modality is pretty plastic and can be subjected to a huge amount of conditioning that could explain the individual differences in preferences of taste.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#10  Postby LIFE » Sep 22, 2010 6:27 pm

HughMcB wrote:
LIFE wrote:But my whole family loves it, my sister even likes to eat it cold out of the refrigerator :puke: How come? I mean wouldn't it make more sense if we only ate the stuff that is being perceived as tasting pleasant by our taste buds?

I don't really get it, I mean they simply like the taste and you don't. Is it that you're asking whether you actually perceive the taste differently, or whether they actually like a taste you think is bad?

The former.
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 22, 2010 6:27 pm

I was going to say how good broccoli is with melted cheese on it. But then again, shit would at least taste like melted cheese with melted cheese all over it.

My boys prefer broccoli to cauliflower. They even eat sprouts.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Ubjon » Sep 22, 2010 6:29 pm

SPMaximus wrote:mmmmm cauliflower

With cheese sauce its even more Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I used to hate garlic (Sacrilige I know!) until I ate enough of it to learn to love it. Of course some foods are so revolting that its impractical to eat it until you love it. Marmite springs to mind
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby LIFE » Sep 22, 2010 6:29 pm

natselrox wrote:This hardwiring of 'good taste means it is good for you' might be true on a very superficial level but I think the taste-processing modality is pretty plastic and can be subjected to a huge amount of conditioning that could explain the individual differences in preferences of taste.

Conditioning like what?
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#14  Postby LIFE » Sep 22, 2010 6:30 pm

GreyICE wrote:
My best thought is that you, like anyone who has different tastes than me, are most likely defective.

I'm not sure medical science has gotten around to curing this, so until they do, you'll just have to suffer.

:D :waah:
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#15  Postby natselrox » Sep 22, 2010 6:30 pm

LIFE wrote:
natselrox wrote:This hardwiring of 'good taste means it is good for you' might be true on a very superficial level but I think the taste-processing modality is pretty plastic and can be subjected to a huge amount of conditioning that could explain the individual differences in preferences of taste.

Conditioning like what?

I don't know. Association with good meals, happy memories, maybe... :P

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#16  Postby natselrox » Sep 22, 2010 6:32 pm

Even the idea that 'it tastes bad but it's good for your health' may give rise to a twisted form of Operant Conditioning. :P

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#17  Postby LIFE » Sep 22, 2010 6:32 pm

natselrox wrote:
LIFE wrote:

Conditioning like what?

I think I was like 4 or 5 years old the first time I ate it (and puked).
So we're talking about 4-5 years of conditioning then? I find that hard to believe in this case.
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#18  Postby HughMcB » Sep 22, 2010 6:33 pm

LIFE wrote:
HughMcB wrote:

The former.

I was hoping it would be, that seems like an all the more interesting one. :)

Is this a case of "is your red my blue?" thought experiment though?
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19  Postby natselrox » Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm

LIFE wrote:
natselrox wrote:
LIFE wrote:

Conditioning like what?

I think I was like 4 or 5 years old the first time I ate it (and puked).
So we're talking about 4-5 years of conditioning then? I find that hard to believe in this case.

You are at the default position. We need to find out what went 'wrong' with your relatives.

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#20  Postby LIFE » Sep 22, 2010 6:39 pm

HughMcB wrote:
LIFE wrote:
HughMcB wrote:

The former.

I was hoping it would be, that seems like an all the more interesting one. :)

Is this a case of "is your red my blue?" thought experiment though?

If your eye is fully functional and mine is too, you'd see the same red as I do, no? Assuming that if all conditions were the same (you standing at the same spot, same light reflections etc). So I imagine that what you taste when you eat this abhorrent vegetable it will be the same taste I perceive. The question is more like "Why do you perceive it as being a pleasant taste and I do not?". Cauliflower is a common dish here in Germany and at one point I even did some research to see if one of my closer relatives doesn't like it as well, so far I'm the only one.
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection