Non-horror movies that gave you nightmares.

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Non-horror movies that gave you nightmares.

#141  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 12:42 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Stop trolling. Why is my posting history so important to you? Weird.

How is providing a factual account of what happened trolling?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#142  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 12:44 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Stop trolling. Why is my posting history so important to you? Weird.

Why is it of importance to him? Strange is the least to be said about it but I do notice a resemblance.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#143  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 12:58 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Why is it of importance to him?

The answers to this is irrelevant to the question asked.

Scot Dutchy wrote: Strange is the least to be said about it but I do notice a resemblance.

Yes, there is a resemblance to a poster called Gnu Ordure, who has been active on a variety of other sites over the years. Again, not that this has any bearing on the question asked.

"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#144  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 2:34 pm

Sendraks wrote:How is providing a factual account of what happened trolling?

Still waiting Scot.

You're plenty active in other threads, so we all know that you're here. An answer to my straightforward question would be much appreciated.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#145  Postby monkeyboy » Jan 18, 2016 2:57 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:We had an old house in a wood which was said by many to be haunted. Few dared to go there. It did not bother me.

My parents put the fear in my brothers and I from visiting abandoned places like that. Detailed discussions about structural integrity, the joys of tetanus and application of the trespass laws. Nary a ghostie was mentioned.

Similar here. There was an old garage near our first house with an old inspection pit. I remember being bollocked big time for messing in there. My dad showed me(from outside) where the walls were unsafe etc. A few weeks later it collapsed thankfully with nobody anywhere near it. Never got the "told you so" off my dad but he did, He called it. Lesson learned.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#146  Postby monkeyboy » Jan 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sendraks wrote:Nah, my fear of worzel gummidge was entirely a creation of my own making.

Although I also never liked Jon Pertwee as Dr Who. I found him slightly creepy.

Maybe not you but others? A group can evoke a strong feeling about certain things.

Do you tend to watch many things like Worzel Gummidge in groups?

I get the group hysteria thing in cinemas maybe but many of the things mentioned on here are at best family experiences. Most appear to be accounts of individual experiences of finding various scenes/characters scary.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#147  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 3:04 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
Similar here. There was an old garage near our first house with an old inspection pit. I remember being bollocked big time for messing in there. My dad showed me(from outside) where the walls were unsafe etc. A few weeks later it collapsed thankfully with nobody anywhere near it. Never got the "told you so" off my dad but he did, He called it. Lesson learned.

I really don't see how attempt to "ward" children away from an unsafe location can effectively be achieved by claiming some sort of supernatural activity. Saying "don't go there, it is haunted" is surely only going to prompt an inquisitive child to go and see whether it is actually true or not.

Saying "don't go there, the building is unsafe and it might collapse killing you" is something that a child is less likely to want to go and personally verify.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#148  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 3:09 pm

Sendraks wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:

I really don't see how attempt to "ward" children away from an unsafe location can effectively be achieved by claiming some sort of supernatural activity. Saying "don't go there, it is haunted" is surely only going to prompt an inquisitive child to go and see whether it is actually true or not.

Saying "don't go there, the building is unsafe and it might collapse killing you" is something that a child is less likely to want to go and personally verify.

Once again your comprehension is lacking. Who said that the house where ghosts were meant to reside was unsafe? Another presumption? Can you give an answer for this presumption?

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#149  Postby monkeyboy » Jan 18, 2016 3:11 pm

Sendraks wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:

True.
Had they told me the child catcher hid in there to capture naughty kids, I'd have kept out too. They could have then killed him off in the collapse so I could sleep better at night!
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#150  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 3:14 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Once again your comprehension is lacking.

No it isn't. You're making the mistake of assuming that I am referring to the house in your post, rather than talking in general terms with MonkeyBoy. You really shouldn't make such presumptions.

And forget asking me anymore questions until such time until you've answered this one.

Sendraks wrote:How is providing a factual account of what happened trolling?

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#151  Postby monkeyboy » Jan 18, 2016 3:15 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sendraks wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:

Once again your comprehension is lacking. Who said that the house where ghosts were meant to reside was unsafe? Another presumption? Can you give an answer for this presumption?

He said"abandoned places like that" as in similar to. Not ascribing your "haunted house" as structurally unsafe but likening it to other empty buildings.

Not sure you get to lecture on comprehension on that one Scot Dutchy
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 3:16 pm

I think maybe these days kids are not so scared anymore. They would probably download a ghost busting app to check out the place.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#153  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 3:20 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I think maybe these days kids are not so scared anymore. They would probably download a ghost busting app to check out the place.

I think back in my childhood, kid would've still gone and looked.

Maybe a hundred years ago or more, simple superstition might have kept curious children away.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#154  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 3:20 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Once again your comprehension is lacking.

No it isn't. You're making the mistake of assuming that I am referring to the house in your post, rather than talking in general terms with MonkeyBoy. You really shouldn't make such presumptions.

So when you claim you making a general point then it is ok? When somebody else does they have to be more specific.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#155  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 3:26 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:So when you claim you making a general point then it is ok?

Because I'm talking generally about "haunted houses" not about the specific house you mentioned. There is nothing wrong with doing this.

Scot Dutchy wrote:When somebody else does they have to be more specific.

When you're making statements about Corbyn's speech and saying that it is rubbish, it is wholly reasonable to ask for specific examples of why you think it is rubbish.

And as I said in that other thread, there is nothing wrong with you holding the general opinion on Corbyn's speech, but your inability to provide specifics doesn't help anyone understand why you hold the points that you do. As such, we cannot discuss it and therefore it is a waste of time you bringing it up.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#156  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 3:27 pm

Sendraks wrote:

And as a reminder. Scot has chosen to participate in this thread, but continues to ignore the straightforward question asked of him.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#157  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 3:32 pm

:rofl:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#158  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 3:45 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote::rofl:

So you find your inability to answer straightforward questions funny? As a reminder, here is that straightforward question again.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#159  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 18, 2016 3:46 pm

Indeed, failure/inability to answer a straightforward question does deserve a :rofl:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#160  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 4:11 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Indeed, failure/inability to answer a straightforward question does deserve a :rofl:

:rofl:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV