Non-horror movies that gave you nightmares.

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Non-horror movies that gave you nightmares.

#121  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 18, 2016 8:45 am

How is this broken recordry not viewed as highly disruptive on the simple basis its constantly deployed to derail discussions?

Isn't consistent, frequent disruption something being cracked down on?
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#122  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 8:46 am

Fallible wrote:As I said, feel free to backpedal as much as you think you need to.

Feel to be as illogical as you will and keep on writing the crap of the day here and all the other places you land on.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#123  Postby Briton » Jan 18, 2016 9:28 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
It gets boring when you cant think logically. Why did you think I did not have a problem? I solved it at a very young age so what is the problem? Is that just too difficult for you to get your head around?

Put the shovel down Scot.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#124  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 10:37 am

Briton wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
It gets boring when you cant think logically. Why did you think I did not have a problem? I solved it at a very young age so what is the problem? Is that just too difficult for you to get your head around?

Put the shovel down Scot.

Tell her to shut up. She started trolling and I hope the mods take action this time.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Fallible » Jan 18, 2016 10:47 am

Go away.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#126  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 10:50 am

Worzel Gummidge terrified me as a kid. I honestly can't remember why, but I refused to watch it.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#127  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 10:51 am

I sometimes wonder if peer pressure as something to do with it?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#128  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 10:55 am

Nah, my fear of worzel gummidge was entirely a creation of my own making.

Although I also never liked Jon Pertwee as Dr Who. I found him slightly creepy.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#129  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 11:07 am

Sendraks wrote:Nah, my fear of worzel gummidge was entirely a creation of my own making.

Although I also never liked Jon Pertwee as Dr Who. I found him slightly creepy.

Maybe not you but others? A group can evoke a strong feeling about certain things.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#130  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 11:12 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Maybe not you but others? A group can evoke a strong feeling about certain things.

I don't recall anyone else, be it my classmates at school or my siblings, having any issue with the show.
Not that I remember ever actually telling anyone at school my dislike of the show.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#131  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 11:26 am

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Maybe not you but others? A group can evoke a strong feeling about certain things.

I don't recall anyone else, be it my classmates at school or my siblings, having any issue with the show.
Not that I remember ever actually telling anyone at school my dislike of the show.

I am not referring just to that show but other situations where a group could impose a sense of fear regarding a film etc.

We had an old house in a wood which was said by many to be haunted. Few dared to go there. It did not bother me.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#132  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 11:29 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:We had an old house in a wood which was said by many to be haunted. Few dared to go there. It did not bother me.

My parents put the fear in my brothers and I from visiting abandoned places like that. Detailed discussions about structural integrity, the joys of tetanus and application of the trespass laws. Nary a ghostie was mentioned.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#133  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 11:45 am

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:We had an old house in a wood which was said by many to be haunted. Few dared to go there. It did not bother me.

My parents put the fear in my brothers and I from visiting abandoned places like that. Detailed discussions about structural integrity, the joys of tetanus and application of the trespass laws. Nary a ghostie was mentioned.

Ghosts play a large part in Scottish culture. There were ghosts everywhere. The Borders were full of them. Remnants of the Border Reivers probably. In Glencoe it is always said you can hear the MacDonalds wailing at night at certain times of the year.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#134  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 11:47 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Ghosts play a large part in Scottish culture. There were ghosts everywhere. The Borders were full of them. Remnants of the Border Reivers probably. In Glencoe it is always said you can hear the MacDonalds wailing at night at certain times of the year.

I'm not sure how we've leapt from films, to abandoned houses, to Scottish culture and ghosts. I'm quite familiar with all of this but, I'm really not sure how it is relevant to the discussion.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#135  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 11:53 am

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Ghosts play a large part in Scottish culture. There were ghosts everywhere. The Borders were full of them. Remnants of the Border Reivers probably. In Glencoe it is always said you can hear the MacDonalds wailing at night at certain times of the year.

I'm not sure how we've leapt from films, to abandoned houses, to Scottish culture and ghosts. I'm quite familiar with all of this but, I'm really not sure how it is relevant to the discussion.

No? In a culture where the supernatural plays a sizeable role the idea of horror in a film can be quite easily more acceptable.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#136  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 12:19 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:No? In a culture where the supernatural plays a sizeable role the idea of horror in a film can be quite easily more acceptable.

Which culture is it that the supernatural plays a sizeable role?

That there are lots of Scottish ghost stories =/= the supernatural playing a sizeable role in Scottish culture.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#137  Postby Mike_L » Jan 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:In Glencoe it is always said you can hear the MacDonalds wailing at night at certain times of the year.

The burger joint uses loudhailer advertising at night? Now that is terrifying! :grin:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#138  Postby Gnu Ordure » Jan 18, 2016 12:37 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Briton wrote:Put the shovel down Scot.
Tell her to shut up. She started trolling and I hope the mods take action this time.

Well, if the Mods examine this thread, they'll see that:

1. Scot joined it in post 23 saying that he had nothing to contribute to it ("No film has ever given me nightmares. Why they are just films. I used to laugh at horror films. So damn stupid.")

2. Of the next 76 posts, 14 were written by Scot; none of them answered the thread question, they were all variations on the same theme ("Are people really scared by films? Honestly?", "You get frightened by that? Really". "Well why are people scared of films?". "I find it totally illogical being afraid of images which you know are not real." "That is your problem. I have never had that problem." etc).

3. At least two people told Scot that they weren't interested in discussing why horror films are frightening which would only derail the thread.

4. The thread died in May (until I bumped it on Saturday) after Scot's final mocking contribution to it ("Scary. :lol").

%. To cap it all, Scot then returns to the thread and finally makes an actual contribution to the topic, as if none of his previous posts had ever happened. Unsurprisingly, this pisses some people off. And Scot then accuses Fallible of trolling.

It's pretty damn obvious to me what has been happening here. And it's not Fallible who has been trolling.
Gnu Ordure

Male

Print view this post

#139  Postby Sendraks » Jan 18, 2016 12:40 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That post is worthy of an Orson. If I had a reliable link to the gif, I would have used that instead.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#140  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 18, 2016 12:41 pm

Gnu Ordure wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Briton wrote:Put the shovel down Scot.

Well, if the Mods examine this thread, they'll see that:

1. Scot joined it in post 23 saying that he had nothing to contribute to it ("No film has ever given me nightmares. Why they are just films. I used to laugh at horror films. So damn stupid.")

2. Of the next 76 posts, 14 were written by Scot; none of them answered the thread question, they were all variations on the same theme ("Are people really scared by films? Honestly?", "You get frightened by that? Really". "Well why are people scared of films?". "I find it totally illogical being afraid of images which you know are not real." "That is your problem. I have never had that problem." etc).

3. At least two people told Scot that they weren't interested in derailing the thread by discussing why horror films are frightening.

4. The thread died in May (until I bumped it on Saturday) after Scot's final mocking contribution to it ("Scary. :lol").

%. To cap it all, Scot then returns to the thread and finally makes an actual contribution to the topic, as if none of his previous posts had ever happened. Unsurprisingly, this pisses some people off. And Scot then accuses Fallible of trolling.

It's pretty damn obvious to me what has been happening here. And it's not Fallible who has been trolling.

Stop trolling. Why is my posting history so important to you? Weird.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV