Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#8721  Postby Thommo » Jan 27, 2017 3:50 pm

I actually started an email to Netflix demanding to know why I couldn't give it 0 stars, something I only discovered you couldn't do having watched the episode. Then I decided I was overreacting and forgot about it until today.

But I'm being an offtopic ploppy bottom now, so I'd better stop. This is supposed to be for people who are enjoying stuff isn't it? Sorry folks. Please someone explain why I'm wrong instead (which it seems I must be, since everywhere I go people are falling over themselves to give this thing rave reviews), I'll leave it here!
Thommo

Print view this post

#8722  Postby Thommo » Jan 27, 2017 3:56 pm

What I am enjoying is the latest BBC nature documentary Spy in the Wild. Latest episode about animal intelligence showing tool use and generally wonderful creatures. It's not quite living up to Ingenious Animals, which I watched a while back, but it's most enjoyable.
Thommo

Print view this post

#8723  Postby Mazille » Jan 27, 2017 4:37 pm

Fallible wrote:Mazille told me to. It's his fault.

Excuse me?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#8724  Postby scott1328 » Jan 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Thommo wrote:I actually started an email to Netflix demanding to know why I couldn't give it 0 stars, something I only discovered you couldn't do having watched the episode. Then I decided I was overreacting and forgot about it until today.

But I'm being an offtopic ploppy bottom now, so I'd better stop. This is supposed to be for people who are enjoying stuff isn't it? Sorry folks. Please someone explain why I'm wrong instead (which it seems I must be, since everywhere I go people are falling over themselves to give this thing rave reviews), I'll leave it here!

I was actuallly considering watching Black Mirror.

I think I am going to follow Thommo's (implied) advice, and give it a miss.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8725  Postby MattHunX » Jan 27, 2017 5:03 pm

Legends of Tomorrow, Flash, speedsters in movies and series...etc.

What I'm keep seeing is speedsters getting hit by blast and whatnot every time. Thawn gets hit by the blast from the Waverider, in the last episode. Speedsters have hyper-accelerated perception and processing, which means, shit like that shouldn't happen. They should be able to look at it, see the ship, the cannon, every fucking particle charging, scratch their own ass, or that of everyone else, and get out of the way. But, no. They keep getting owned by attacks that should look like slow-motion to them. :nono:
MattHunX

Print view this post

#8726  Postby Thommo » Jan 27, 2017 5:32 pm

scott1328 wrote:I was actuallly considering watching Black Mirror.

I think I am going to follow Thommo's (implied) advice, and give it a miss.

I guess it depends how much your tastes are like mine. What I would say is that although a lot of the reviews and commentary describe it as being like The Twilight Zone, or the Outer Limits, it's nothing of the sort. In fact, it's the reverse. Where that sort of classic episodic sci fi was about people often acting plausibly in the face of the inhuman, this is about people acting implausibly in the face of the human.

If you're like me then you can probably tolerate any premise no matter how silly, even in a drama, but find that if you don't have comedy/fun to justify ludicrous behaviour then the characters have to act somewhat consistently with either emotion or reason within the bounds of actual humans. If that's the case my dislike might be a good indicator of your own, if not, then I suspect my opinion is of little value.

I found/gather that's it's strongly allegorical, but for a decidedly bleak world view. I expect it's that allegory that justifies the complete lack of connection between how almost all the characters act and anything resembling a human being. But allegory leaves me cold. Unlike, I suspect, people with a more refined and developed literary sensibility.
Thommo

Print view this post

#8727  Postby Animavore » Jan 27, 2017 7:07 pm

Oh come on! The episode where the British PM has to fuck a pig is hilarious!

I guess my literary tastes aren't refined enough.

Edit: Realised you said the opposite of what I'd thought. Yes I do have a good nose for the finer things in life. :smug:

:shifty:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8728  Postby scott1328 » Jan 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Allegories are dangerous. They jump out of the weeds at anytime and drag you into a murky swamp.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8729  Postby Thommo » Jan 27, 2017 7:29 pm

There might be a moral lesson in that, you know Scott.
Thommo

Print view this post

#8730  Postby Animavore » Jan 27, 2017 7:29 pm

scott1328 wrote:Allegories are dangerous. They jump out of the weeds at anytime and drag you into a murky swamp.

I think you'd like Black Mirror.

By the way, someone at the Women's March had a placard which said, "WORST EPISODE OF BLACK MIRROR EVER."
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8731  Postby scott1328 » Jan 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Thommo wrote:There might be a moral lesson in that, you know Scott.

After careful consideration of the consequences of watching Black Mirror and with careful consideration of other alternatives, I have chosen not to watch it.

Although, my choice has been pre-determined since the big bang. or not as the case may be
Last edited by scott1328 on Jan 27, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8732  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jan 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Guy that likes me keeps trying to get me down to his place in Sydney to watch Black Mirror. I'm concerned, now.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8733  Postby Macdoc » Jan 27, 2017 11:11 pm

You may find yourself "engaged" in it. An acquired taste ...some episodes brilliant, others outright scary...near term, maybe tomorrow in Dumpf land.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8734  Postby Animavore » Jan 28, 2017 1:26 am

My advice is watch Black Mirror for yourself and don't let anyone make your mind up for you.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8735  Postby scott1328 » Jan 28, 2017 5:45 am

Animavore wrote:My advice is watch Black Mirror for yourself and don't let anyone make your mind up for you.

scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8736  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 28, 2017 8:27 am

scott1328 wrote:
Animavore wrote:My advice is watch Black Mirror for yourself and don't let anyone make your mind up for you.

No, no. Terrible actor. It's:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8737  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 28, 2017 11:22 am

This weeks episode of Arrow is just bad.
The main villain of this season just has plotpower. There's nothing special or terrifying about him.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8738  Postby VazScep » Jan 28, 2017 4:53 pm

Thommo wrote:I heard so many good things about Black Mirror, I was really excited to watch it. Within 10 minutes I was loathing it, but I persevered to the end of the episode. I really wish I hadn't. I can't even begin to fathom what people like about it. It was idiotic, predictable, childish and revolting in equal measure. A real life version of The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs (and yes that's me calling it idiotic, predictable, childish and revolting via a comparison with South Park).

I wouldn't be exaggerating to call it, for me, the worst TV show I ever watched.
I would be exaggerating to call it that. It's just that when everyone raves about something that I think is entirely mediocre, I feel compelled to declare it the worst thing in the universe.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8739  Postby Macdoc » Jan 28, 2017 5:07 pm

Each episode is different - if you've only watched one then you don't have enough to go on to codemn a popular series.
Some are grotesque ...others very possible ....I'm not a big fan because it is so erratic ...but have seen enough decent ones to see why it might be popular....the one with the repeating punishment and the mind erasure ...people filming with smart phones was pretty dire.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8740  Postby VazScep » Jan 28, 2017 5:50 pm

The repeating punishment one (White Christmas) annoyed me because I've seen the concept explored with infinitely more intelligence and imagination elsewhere. This is the paradox: Brooker is trying to do high sci-fi concept, but compared to authors who do just that, he is always going to be pretentious mediocrity.

I fucking loved Dead Set, because Brooker celebrated it's utter vapidity. It was good fun.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV