What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#10381  Postby Nautilidae » Apr 02, 2012 3:48 am

Wuffy wrote:I keep hearing wonderful things about Rashomon. I should really watch it.

I unfortunately am a product of my generation and a lot of older movies are too slowly paced for me to sit and watch. Not that I don't enjoy great cinema, or more to the point I have trouble sitting through some of the deliberate pauses and fixed situations. Shaky cam is still the worst thing ever introduced into film.. ever.

There are certain films, both old and current, that require you to be in the proper mood to see and enjoy. I still haven't finished Three Colors: White, and my Netflix queue is loaded with movies that have been waiting to be watched for months. It took me weeks to find a day on which I was finally up for watching One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, but I'm glad I took the time. And sometimes, the movie is simply overrated. I'm willing to take a lot of the blame for not enjoying critically acclaimed classics, but in the case of films like Last Tango In Paris, I have to call bullshit on the entire thing. I know how many people seem to adore that movie, but I can't for the life of me understand why. I watched all but the last 45 minutes, and I still decided to turn it off. I probably should have persevered through the final movement for the sake of integrity, but I couldn't take it anymore.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10382  Postby Ironclad » Apr 02, 2012 6:08 am

I've just watched Immortals, I enjoyed it on the whole, despite it being a bit.. thin, well that's the best description I can think of after a long nightshift. One thing I found that make me chuckle, one if the production team was called, Tommy Turtle. :D. (its a playground rude word for a poop that's trying to escape)
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#10383  Postby Shrunk » Apr 02, 2012 10:41 am

Wuffy wrote:I keep hearing wonderful things about Rashomon. I should really watch it.

I unfortunately am a product of my generation and a lot of older movies are too slowly paced for me to sit and watch. Not that I don't enjoy great cinema, or more to the point I have trouble sitting through some of the deliberate pauses and fixed situations. Shaky cam is still the worst thing ever introduced into film.. ever.

Rashomon is not nearly as slow-paced as Kurosawa's reputation might suggest. I watched it with my kids when they were pre-teens and they were enthralled. Same thing with early Bergman. I watched The Severnth Seal for the first time in many years a little while ago, and was surprised at how briskly it moved along. Nothing like, say, Persona.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10384  Postby proudfootz » Apr 03, 2012 1:53 am

Just watched Le Frisson des Vampires 'Shiver of the Vampire' - a stylish early 1970s French vampire film.

http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/jea ... pires.html

Musical soundtrack worth the price of admission...

http://boomkat.com/cds/336812-acanthus- ... s-vampires
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10385  Postby SPMaximus » Apr 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Tintin, unicorn something whatever the title was

it was really good, could have been 30 minutes longer though

:coffee:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#10386  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 03, 2012 2:51 pm

The Man Who Wasn't There with Billy Bob Thornton. I'm not really sure how this ended up in my queue but I'm glad I finally got around to watching it. It's about a chain-smoking barber that wonders through life like a ghost. It was beautiful and Billy Bob Thornton always manages to amaze me even if I can't figure out why. He had the same dull expression on his face throughout the entire movie, regardless of the terrible things happening around him, most of which are caused by him.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10387  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 03, 2012 9:23 pm

Into the Wild.

Were I to head into the Alaskan wilderness, in Winter, with no proper equipment - including a compass - and not tell anyone where I was going, and not having had received the proper instruction in how to actually survive out there, hands up who'd be surprised if I starved?
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10388  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 04, 2012 2:16 am

Personally, I have no idea why he left the hippy commune. He had a good thing going there... :dunno:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#10389  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 04, 2012 7:54 am

MacIver wrote:Personally, I have no idea why he left the hippy commune. He had a good thing going there... :dunno:

It had Kirsten Stewart living there. She has to be the most unenthusiastic actor ever.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10390  Postby bluey » Apr 04, 2012 1:42 pm

A few days ago I saw The Devil's Double. It's about Uday Hussein and his double. It's closely based on real events. It was really good, although it didn't show enough of what Uday did, it just touched on it. I would have enjoyed it even more if it had been more explicit. It's an easy film to enjoy, and Uday is very funny throughout. But it's not technically the last film I saw. I saw a couple after that. But they were nowhere near as good.
bluey
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#10391  Postby SPMaximus » Apr 05, 2012 11:52 pm

sooo, Jack & Jill won all the Razzies this year, Adam Sandler got Worst Actor and Worst Actress

:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#10392  Postby Shrunk » Apr 06, 2012 11:49 am

Taxi Driver (1976)

"You talkin' to me?"

Another classic of the mid-70's Golden Age of American Cinema that surely needs no introduction or recommendation from me. Except I'll say that film makers of that era seemed to have a particular gift for capturing the genuine grit of the urban streetscape. The movie that beat this out for the Oscar that year, Rocky, shows that, too.

I'm going to see this tonight:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbV6knbeUFE[/youtube]
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10393  Postby Mazille » Apr 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Fist of the North Star

:shock: The fuck did I just watch?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#10394  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 07, 2012 2:34 am

I was pretty disappointed by this flick. "A comedy about a struggling science fiction writer from the director of Napoleon Dynamite with Sam Rockwell and that dude from Flight of the Concords in it?" I thought. "This is going to be awesome!"

Not so much. One laugh out loud moment during one and a half hours. :nono:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#10395  Postby Shrunk » Apr 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Shrunk wrote:I'm going to see this tonight:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbV6knbeUFE[/youtube]

This turned out to be quite a lovely film. For sushi fans, or food enthusiasts in general, it's a must see for an up close look at a master at work, as well as the inside story of how that delicious piece of tuna ends up on your plate. (I don't advise seeing this on an empty stomache!)

But, that aside, Jiro Ono is a fascinating, if at times inscrutable, character. The trailer is a bit deceptive in that it hints at familial tensions that aren't really apparent in the move. It is true that Jiro is a rather stern and intimidating individual. Even his customers admit to being nervous eating at his restaurant. Several times we see see him intently watching diners at his modest-looking 10 seat restaurant, and he does not seem to be watching for whether they approve of his sushi so much as judging whether they are worthy of it. However, at no point does anyone have a bad word to say about him. What we are left with is a portrait of a man who decided in his youth to wholeheartedly devote himself to a single goal and now, as his career nears its end, is able to look back at the results of that decision without regret. Even though he seldom smiles, as I watched the movie, several times I suspected he might be the happiest man walking the earth.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10396  Postby Nautilidae » Apr 07, 2012 3:54 pm

I'll be seeing Titanic in just under an hour and a half. I've never seen it in any form, so the opportunity to watch it for the first time in a cinema will be extraordinary [despite the unnecessary retro-fitted 3D].

And if I find the time later tonight...

:plot:
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10397  Postby Tangerine Dream » Apr 07, 2012 4:17 pm

Nautilidae wrote:I'll be seeing Titanic

Is that a remake Nauts ? :grin:
If shit was worth something, poor people would be born with no asshole.
Tangerine Dream

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#10398  Postby Nautilidae » Apr 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Tangerine Dream wrote:
Nautilidae wrote:I'll be seeing Titanic

Is that a remake Nauts ? :grin:

The original isn't available uncut, so I'll settle for this version.

Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10399  Postby Wuffy » Apr 08, 2012 2:14 am

MacIver wrote:Image

I was pretty disappointed by this flick. "A comedy about a struggling science fiction writer from the director of Napoleon Dynamite with Sam Rockwell and that dude from Flight of the Concords in it?" I thought. "This is going to be awesome!"

Not so much. One laugh out loud moment during one and a half hours. :nono:

That's really weird I actually really enjoyed it when I watched it.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#10400  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 08, 2012 2:41 am

Really?

I loved Napoleon Dynamite, it's one of my favourite comedies. And I am a struggling science fiction writer, so I thought this would be right down my alley. I like the lead, he's a good young actor. I like the bearded dude from Flight of the Concords. I like Sam Rockwell. But for me the script and direction really let this movie down.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV