What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#10421  Postby Mazille » Apr 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Animavore wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Nautilidae wrote:That Song doesn't begin playing until the end credits.

That's not good enough. What if I'm in the theatre trying to scramble to the exit before the song starts, but get caught behind a crush of people trying to do the same, and I'm helplessly caught as It starts to play? Or even if I'm just watching the DVD, the remote control could malfunction just when I need to shut the player off, and again there I am, trapped, helpless.

I'm sorry, the risk is just too great. I will never watch this movie.

(In al seriousness, it just doesn't seem to be my thing. There just too many other films ahead of it on my "Watch Before You Die" list.)

You're not missing much. It's exactly the soppy, manipulative drivel you imagine it to be. Perfectly suited to Celine Dion. Albeit well-crafted drivel.

Actually, I thought it was meh. Just as every other Cameron movie was meh. Except T2, which was the bee's knees, and Avatar, which was tremendous fun, if just a recoloured Disney movie with more explosives.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#10422  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 10, 2012 3:24 am

Wait, you preferred Avatar to Abyss and Aliens too!?! What's the world coming to?!?
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#10423  Postby Mazille » Apr 10, 2012 8:47 am

Well no, damnit, I forgot Aliens. Abyss... Not so much. It was OK, I guess.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#10424  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Shrunk wrote:
MacIver wrote:
Nautilidae wrote:James Cameron is a visual genius and a brilliant filmmaker. I suspected it after seeing lush, extraterrestrial landscapes of Avatar, but his talents are in full effect here.

Hmm, weird. I'm a Cameron fan, but I think Titanic and Avatar are his two weakest films. Biggest budgets and most impressive visuals, certainly, but neither can hold a candle to Abyss, T2 or Aliens in my opinion.

I haven't seen Titanic, but there's no way anything with that song in it could get a 4/4.

Cannot. Agree. With you more.

I loathe - LOATHE - that song.

And the first time this movie came around I went to great lengths to avoid it. Hotel rooms. Airplanes. Anytime I saw a clip coming on I immediately left the room. And I'm pretty pissed off about having to go through that again.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10425  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 10, 2012 3:20 pm

Mazille wrote:Well no, damnit, I forgot Aliens. Abyss... Not so much. It was OK, I guess.

I've only ever seen the extended directors cut of Abyss, but I loved it. :shifty:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#10426  Postby Nautilidae » Apr 10, 2012 4:32 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
I haven't seen Titanic, but there's no way anything with that song in it could get a 4/4.

Cannot. Agree. With you more.

I loathe - LOATHE - that song.

And the first time this movie came around I went to great lengths to avoid it. Hotel rooms. Airplanes. Anytime I saw a clip coming on I immediately left the room. And I'm pretty pissed off about having to go through that again.

Now that's just silly. You should take the opportunity to see it in a cinema for the first time in 15 years.

Besides, now that you've admitted to liking sparkly vampires, it's too late to begin acting holier-than-thou.
:coffee:
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10427  Postby Mike_L » Apr 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Kate Winslet has plumped out quite a bit since Titanic. Or to put it another way, in her own words...

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#10428  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Nautilidae wrote:

Besides, now that you've admitted to liking sparkly vampires, it's too late to begin acting holier-than-thou.
:coffee:

Well I never said I was proud of it.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10429  Postby Mike_L » Apr 11, 2012 6:58 am

Winslet herself loathes the Titanic song...!

Kate Winslet: 'Titanic song makes me want to throw up'
Titanic actress says she can't listen to Celine Dion's 'My Heart Will Go On'

Titanic star Kate Winslet has admitted that Celine Dion's 'My Heart Will Go On' makes her want to be sick. The actress, who starred alongside Leonardo DiCaprio in the 1997 hit film Titantic, says she feels like "throwing up" whenever she hears the once-inescapable theme from the movie.
CONTINUED
Full article at:
http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/kate-winslet-titanic-song-makes-me-want-to-throw/264566
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#10430  Postby Ironclad » Apr 11, 2012 7:15 am

I watched Real Steel the other night. I quite enjoyed it & it turned out to be different to my expectation, fighting robots.. I dunno, a bit of empty-headed nonsense to kill a nightshift, I thought, but there was a softer, family-centred, tale driving the movie.
7/10

I was watching The Woman in Black last night, but it was too scary and I did a lot of this---> :hide:
Haven't finished it yet.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#10431  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 11, 2012 2:40 pm

I watched a trifecta of disappointing movies over the weekend:

1. The Rum Diary - Johnny Depp really let me down on this one. He was terrible in this. How does someone of Depp's caliber not know how to pull off a drunk? And the movie was completely boring.

2. Because of Winn-Dixie - Cute kid. Dog. Fill in the rest.

3. Young Adult - This was probably the least disappointing of the three. The movie was boring and predictable, but Charlize Theron was excellent. At least she knows how to portray an alcoholic.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10432  Postby Animavore » Apr 11, 2012 2:54 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:
3. Young Adult - This was probably the least disappointing of the three. The movie was boring and predictable, but Charlize Theron was excellent. At least she knows how to portray an alcoholic.

Of course. She married an Irishman.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10433  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Animavore wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:

Of course. She married an Irishman.

:drunk:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10434  Postby Shrunk » Apr 11, 2012 3:03 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:3. Young Adult - This was probably the least disappointing of the three. The movie was boring and predictable, but Charlize Theron was excellent. At least she knows how to portray an alcoholic.

That one was written by Diablo Cody, of Juno fame, right? I had high hopes for her, but it looks like she might be going the way of Amy Heckerling. Hope not...
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10435  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 11, 2012 4:13 pm

I don't know who Amy Heckerling is, but I think you're right about the Juno connection.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10436  Postby Shrunk » Apr 11, 2012 4:40 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:I don't know who Amy Heckerling is, but I think you're right about the Juno connection.

She wrote/directed Fast Times at Ridgemount High which many consider a classic but I just find meh. Then she got rich doing crap like the Look Who's Talking franchise before she made Clueless which is more or less the best movie ever, and she looked like she was going to take over the world, but then she faded into obscurity.

Google tells me she has reunited with Alicia Silverstone to make some vampire thing. I don't know if I should find that encouraging.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10437  Postby Animavore » Apr 11, 2012 4:51 pm

Shrunk wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:I don't know who Amy Heckerling is, but I think you're right about the Juno connection.

She wrote/directed Fast Times at Ridgemount High which many consider a classic but I just find meh. Then she got rich doing crap like the Look Who's Talking franchise before she made Clueless which is more or less the best movie ever, and she looked like she was going to take over the world, but then she faded into obscurity.

Google tells me she has reunited with Alicia Silverstone to make some vampire thing. I don't know if I should find that encouraging.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10438  Postby Shrunk » Apr 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Dead serious. "More or less" meaning among maybe 10 or 50 or 100 other possible contenders. But yes, serious.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10439  Postby Animavore » Apr 11, 2012 4:58 pm

In fairness I haven't seen it since it came out when I was a teen. I think I liked it now but I assumed it would be one of those things if I looked at it now I'd be thinking, what type of crap was I into then?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10440  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Yeah, same here. I loved Clueless when it came out, but I'm afraid to watch it again.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV