What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#10481  Postby Death Zebra » Apr 14, 2012 11:06 pm

I don't think I've really watched a movie the entire way through for the past 3 years. The last time I went to the cinema with friends (or more accurately with friend and his friends) I walked out while in the ticket line; there was nothing good on and they wanted to watch 2012.

Actually, I think I saw The Machinist over xmas but didn't really pay any attention to it as I'd seen it before (but that was why I left it on so how the fuck does this work?!. It was actually one of the funniest movies I've ever seen though I suppose it takes a certain kind of mindset to find that kind of movie funny.
He must be at least KIND of an arsehole. Why would Superman bite him if he wasn't?
Death Zebra

Print view this post

#10482  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 15, 2012 12:10 am

Death Zebra wrote:I don't think I've really watched a movie the entire way through for the past 3 years. The last time I went to the cinema with friends (or more accurately with friend and his friends) I walked out while in the ticket line; there was nothing good on and they wanted to watch 2012.

Actually, I think I saw The Machinist over xmas but didn't really pay any attention to it as I'd seen it before (but that was why I left it on so how the fuck does this work?!. It was actually one of the funniest movies I've ever seen though I suppose it takes a certain kind of mindset to find that kind of movie funny.

I very rarely go to the cinema. I watch most of my movies on Netflix.

I watched The Machinist a few weeks ago, but didn't find it funny at all. Yeah, I would have to say you would need a different mindset to find it funny. What exactly . . . um . . . not even sure I want to ask . . . but what did you think was the funniest part?
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10483  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 15, 2012 12:14 am

MacIver wrote:Image

Watching this right now. I'm enjoying it.

Wiðercora wrote:

Last film I watched was Red Dragon, with Anthony Hopkins and Edward Norton.

And to continue the Edward Norton fest . . .

Last night I watched Leaves of Grass in which Edward Norton played identical twins. I almost didn't even watch it because I'm not a fan of drug humor. I've never smoked pot, so I don't get most of the references, but it actually wasn't bad.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10484  Postby james1v » Apr 15, 2012 1:37 am

Hugo, not that impressed. :coffee:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10485  Postby Mac_Guffin » Apr 15, 2012 2:39 am

MacIver wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed it dude. :thumbup:

NamelessFaceless wrote:Glad you got around to watching it.

Yeah, I loved it... I can truly say it's helping me through this... and sure enough, my fears are right and I was in denial. it's been right so far... Maybe I'll meet my "Autumn".
Thanks to those who recommended it. I feel like I should've waited until now to watch though.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10486  Postby Mazille » Apr 15, 2012 5:09 am

james1v wrote:Hugo, not that impressed. :coffee:

Burn in hell, heretic! :lay: I'm going to pray for your soul. :pray:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#10487  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Animavore wrote:I'm saying nothing.

It's not like I preferred The Lovely Bones :)
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10488  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 15, 2012 3:57 pm

I watched Melancholia last night. I apparently just have a hard time putting my feelings into words whenever I watch something from Lars von Trier. This movie was slightly disturbing, but at the same time beautiful and sad. I almost stopped watching the first 6 or 8 minutes, but once I got into it I understood the importance of it. The director really takes his time getting into the stories of the characters but once you get there you really feel it.

I can't help but wonder how real scientists feel about this movie, though. I bet it gets on their nerves.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10489  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 15, 2012 6:09 pm

It was good. Gave me an insight into the American political machine. Obviously the Republicans say it's just more inaccuracies coming from a left leaning Hollywood but Steve Schmidt (who Woody Harrison plays in the film) said: "Ten weeks of the campaign are condensed into a two-hour movie. But it tells the truth of the campaign. That is the story of what happened".
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#10490  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 15, 2012 10:42 pm

Get Carter. Grimdark.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Wiðercora

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10491  Postby Nautilidae » Apr 16, 2012 2:54 am

I went to the cinema to see Titanic 3D again with my grandmother. When lights came on, she looked at me and told me it was like she'd just watched it for the first time. I feel like an accomplished grandson today. :dopey:

As for Brokeback Mountain, I think it may be one of the best films I've ever seen. I'd known it for years as "that gay cowboy movie," but actually seeing it was an overwhelming experience. There's something about homosexual love, especially between two characters as intense as Jack and Ennis, that has always been inherently tragic to me. Perhaps it's the fact that, even in the 21st century, it's viewed by some people as shameful, something one needs to overcome in order to be a 'properly' functioning human being. From the moment Jack and Ennis appear in the same frame, you feel the tension between them begin to build, and once it finally explodes (so to speak. *ahem*) on Brokeback Mountain, the impact of their feelings sets in. They can't simply elope and run off into the sunset together, especially not when Ennis is set to be married in just a few short months. As their personal lives become more and more separate from their romance, everything else starts losing its luster. The only true moments of happiness either man has in his life are the moments they spend together, and as years become decades, they become less frequent and more buried by the empty facade they've built around everyone else. I won't tell you how it ends out of consideration for those that haven't seen it. I was one of the lucky few who didn't know the ending going into it, and it was a sock-in-the-gut topped only by the resolution of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. When that moment comes and you realize what their entire relationship represents, anyone still snickering and making gay cowboy jokes will finally be silenced. During the penultimate scene with Ennis and Jack Twist's parents, I was nearly brought to tears just because of how universal their pain is.

I still haven't taken the chance to see Solaris, unfortunately. After Brokeback Mountain, I decided I wasn't up for watching a two-and-three-quarter hour science fiction film.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10492  Postby Mike_L » Apr 16, 2012 1:23 pm

Nautilidae wrote:...anyone still snickering and making gay cowboy jokes...

Teehee, snicker, guffaw, chortle...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGNct-uOqA0[/youtube]
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#10493  Postby Animavore » Apr 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition - worth a watch?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10494  Postby HughMcB » Apr 16, 2012 4:54 pm

No.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10495  Postby Shrunk » Apr 16, 2012 4:58 pm

HughMcB wrote:No.

You mean in absolute terms? Or just for someone who has already seen the regular edition?

Answer carefully, now...
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10496  Postby Mazille » Apr 16, 2012 4:58 pm

Don't listen to the drunk lout. Yes. Yes it is. If you liked the original cut, you'll get more out of the extended one. I enjoyed it.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#10497  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 16, 2012 5:32 pm

I've only seen the extended editions (bought the lot for ten quid each from Waterstone's one time), and I'd say they were worth watching.
-- George Orwell

Wiðercora

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10498  Postby Animavore » Apr 16, 2012 5:39 pm

james1v wrote:Hugo, not that impressed. :coffee:

It could've done with being a bit more exciting. I can't imagine any child will sit through it without feeling massively bored.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10499  Postby Animavore » Apr 16, 2012 5:40 pm

My friend gave me a load of films of which LOTR ED is one.
What about The Black Dahlia?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10500  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Wiðercora wrote:I've only seen the extended editions (bought the lot for ten quid each from Waterstone's one time), and I'd say they were worth watching.

How much extra is there?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV