What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#14981  Postby Shrunk » Dec 02, 2014 4:22 pm

The_Piper wrote:I couldn't get into 2001 and cut it off early. :shifty:

My wife never liked it, either. Seeing it in 70mm changed her mind.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14982  Postby NamelessFaceless » Dec 02, 2014 4:32 pm

Shrunk wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:I just watched Reds. Three hours and fifteen minutes long. That's quite an investment. It took me four sittings to complete it. But what a great movie.

You have to wonder how difficult it was to get a major Hollywood studio to back a project with that subject matter. Really speaks to the clout Warren Beatty must have had at the time.

Why do you think so? Do you mean politics in general? Or communism?

Communism. Imagine trying to pitch that concept to a studio executive without including Beatty and Nicholson in the cast.

I really have no idea what Hollywood is thinking, either now or ever. It did seem sympathetic to Communism until the end, but I wouldn't think Hollywood would be opposed to that.

I loved Diane Keaton's part, though, especially when she was being questioned by Congress about her religious beliefs. It was beautiful.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14983  Postby Animavore » Dec 03, 2014 10:18 am

Watched the beginning of Fury in a friend's last night. It seemed like a second-rate, Saving Private Ryan rip-off without the heart and with shitty acting from Brad Pitt and Shia LaBeouf. They even had the lead sergent have a war-related problem which he conceals from his troops and a book-worm newbie join to the annoyance of the others.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14984  Postby Spinozasgalt » Dec 04, 2014 12:52 pm

When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14985  Postby Mazille » Dec 04, 2014 1:00 pm

Animavore wrote:Watched the beginning of Fury in a friend's last night. It seemed like a second-rate, Saving Private Ryan rip-off without the heart and with shitty acting from Brad Pitt and Shia LaBeouf. They even had the lead sergent have a war-related problem which he conceals from his troops and a book-worm newbie join to the annoyance of the others.

It's not, though. I mean, it's obviously not going to be the classic SPR became, simply because it isn't technically as good. Both movies tell stories of dudes forming a group and thoughing it out with the slings and arrows of fortune. Fury is of a smaller scale, though and way, way darker. While the soldiers in SPR were basically nice guys fighting for a good cause and all, the cast of Fury is just a bunch of assholes doing a job and they really only do it for each other. There's no pathos, love of the fatherland, or political opposition to fascism in there. They're assholes and they're killing Nazis because those assholes are trying to kill your asshole friends.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#14986  Postby Animavore » Dec 04, 2014 1:02 pm

Mazille wrote:
Animavore wrote:Watched the beginning of Fury in a friend's last night. It seemed like a second-rate, Saving Private Ryan rip-off without the heart and with shitty acting from Brad Pitt and Shia LaBeouf. They even had the lead sergent have a war-related problem which he conceals from his troops and a book-worm newbie join to the annoyance of the others.

It's not, though. I mean, it's obviously not going to be the classic SPR became, simply because it isn't technically as good. Both movies tell stories of dudes forming a group and thoughing it out with the slings and arrows of fortune. Fury is of a smaller scale, though and way, way darker. While the soldiers in SPR were basically nice guys fighting for a good cause and all, the cast of Fury is just a bunch of assholes doing a job and they really only do it for each other. There's no pathos, love of the fatherland, or political opposition to fascism in there. They're assholes and they're killing Nazis because those assholes are trying to kill your asshole friends.

It's not what? A second-rate SPR? I don't see how your description contradicts that.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14987  Postby Mazille » Dec 04, 2014 1:03 pm

Yes. I don't think it tries to be what SPR tried to be. Of course, it's treading similar ground, but the tone is completely different.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#14988  Postby John Platko » Dec 04, 2014 3:10 pm

I stumbled across this one recently. Herbie Hancock supplied the music.

I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14989  Postby The_Piper » Dec 04, 2014 3:26 pm

Shrunk wrote:

I really liked the opening sequence, then I got lost in space. :dopey:
I'm finally getting a large flat screen TV, I could try it again on that if I find the dvd for $2 or less. Which I probably will by next fall. :lol: (yard sales)
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14990  Postby Mike_L » Dec 04, 2014 8:22 pm

This was excellent! Better than the original!

Okay, just kidding. (Teasing Spinozasgalt) :grin:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#14991  Postby Spinozasgalt » Dec 04, 2014 11:27 pm

When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14992  Postby Mike_L » Dec 05, 2014 5:18 am

:lol:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#14993  Postby Pulsar » Dec 05, 2014 6:37 pm

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Movie Review

I saw this brilliant post in the comment section:

It began with the filming of the Great Trilogy. Three were given to the fans. And then the normal version, the extended and the special extended edition - which above else, had lots of extra content. For within these DVDs were bound hours of additional scenes and fun to enjoy at move nights.

But they were all of them deceived, for another trilogy was made.

In the land of Kiwis, in the studios of New Line Cinema and MGM, the greedy Lord Jackson forged in public 'The Hobbit', to be shown in three parts. Into this trilogy, he poured a lot of bullshit, his greed, and his will to dominate all JRR-Tolkien-related stuff. One trilogy to ruin them all.

One by one, the movies were released over a span of three years. But there were some who resisted. A last alliance of true LotR-fans didn't go to the theatre, and stayed at home and watched the original trilogy instead because it was a hundred bajillion times better than the hobbit-crap.

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#14994  Postby Animavore » Dec 06, 2014 2:14 pm

Saw all of Fury last night. Thought it was shite. And Brad can't act to save his life. I can't be the only one seeing this?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14995  Postby Mazille » Dec 06, 2014 2:39 pm

I didn't say it was particularly good. I wouldn't call it shite, though. Just meh.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#14996  Postby Mazille » Dec 08, 2014 7:26 pm

Nightcrawler might be the best portrayal of a high-functioning and very creepy fucking psychopath, and the utterly despicable culture that fosters his actions I've seen in a long while. I also thought that Gyllenhaal couldn't act for shit. I'll have to revise that opinion. He has the emotionless, manipulative creep down to a T.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#14997  Postby ED209 » Dec 08, 2014 7:34 pm

Knights of Badassdom is about as good as it sounds :nono:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#14998  Postby Ironclad » Dec 08, 2014 7:51 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Pulsar wrote:The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Movie Review

I saw this brilliant post in the comment section:

It began with the filming of the Great Trilogy. Three were given to the fans. And then the normal version, the extended and the special extended edition - which above else, had lots of extra content. For within these DVDs were bound hours of additional scenes and fun to enjoy at move nights.

But they were all of them deceived, for another trilogy was made.

In the land of Kiwis, in the studios of New Line Cinema and MGM, the greedy Lord Jackson forged in public 'The Hobbit', to be shown in three parts. Into this trilogy, he poured a lot of bullshit, his greed, and his will to dominate all JRR-Tolkien-related stuff. One trilogy to ruin them all.

One by one, the movies were released over a span of three years. But there were some who resisted. A last alliance of true LotR-fans didn't go to the theatre, and stayed at home and watched the original trilogy instead because it was a hundred bajillion times better than the hobbit-crap.

:rofl:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#14999  Postby Mazille » Dec 08, 2014 9:21 pm

You know, there's a dude who makes his living ripping big movies fucking apart on youtube. He also spends some time recommending other, good movies. As it happens, he recommends movies I love dearly (In Bruges) and rips into others I hate as much you can hate fleeting moments of reluctant diversion. He's the "YourMovieSucks" dude and he knows his shit. Watch him.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#15000  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 09, 2014 4:22 am

The_Piper wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

I really liked the opening sequence, then I got lost in space. :dopey:
I'm finally getting a large flat screen TV, I could try it again on that if I find the dvd for $2 or less. Which I probably will by next fall. :lol: (yard sales)

Get the blu ray. Totally worth it unless you love blocky, grainy darks.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV