What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#19041  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Haven't seen, looks like I should check it out for the Kurt Russell alone.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19042  Postby BlackBart » Jan 15, 2017 8:28 pm

I saw it again, recently - it's worth watching for the pure nineteen-eighties-ness alone. I made that word up.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19043  Postby Mazille » Jan 15, 2017 9:12 pm

Arrival is damn good. At least I think it is. I'll have to watch it again to be sure.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#19044  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 15, 2017 9:25 pm

Mazille wrote:Arrival is damn good. At least I think it is. I'll have to watch it again to be sure.

''tWas.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19045  Postby archibald » Jan 15, 2017 10:16 pm

Fallible wrote:
archibald wrote:
Fallible wrote:
archibald wrote:Rational skeptics and fantasy/horror films. What gives?

What, we're not allowed to enjoy fiction?

Cool. I cited something and you changed it to something else. :)

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Aren't fantasy and horror fiction?

Ok, let me ask another question. I say, 'atheists and takeaway pizza. what's with that?' and you say, ''aren't we allowed to enjoy a takeway meal?' and I essentially say that's not what I asked.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#19046  Postby Fallible » Jan 15, 2017 10:52 pm

That isn't a question. I understand that you think I've changed what you were talking about in some way. I'm still none the wiser about what you're getting at with your first question. At this rate, I'm likely to remain so.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19047  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 15, 2017 11:22 pm

archibald wrote:
Fallible wrote:
archibald wrote:
Fallible wrote:

What, we're not allowed to enjoy fiction?

Cool. I cited something and you changed it to something else. :)

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Aren't fantasy and horror fiction?

Ok, let me ask another question. I say, 'atheists and takeaway pizza. what's with that?' and you say, ''aren't we allowed to enjoy a takeway meal?' and I essentially say that's not what I asked.

Does it make sense for rational skeptics to enjoy other kinds of fiction, just not fantasy or horror?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19048  Postby archibald » Jan 15, 2017 11:33 pm

There seems to be a higher than average preference for films with a unrealistic/unearthly fantasy or supernatural element. Take the first one in the thread, Twilight. Ok, that's a pretty good relationship drama and not a bad love story.....with vampires.

Maybe religious people have their fantasy figures and supernatural entities.....and..... :evilgrin:
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#19049  Postby scott1328 » Jan 15, 2017 11:36 pm

archibald wrote:There seems to be a higher than average preference for films with a unrealistic/unearthly fantasy or supernatural element. Take the first one in the thread, Twilight. Ok, that's a pretty good relationship drama and not a bad love story.....with vampires.

Maybe religious people have their fantasy figures and supernatural entities.....and..... :evilgrin:

I am afraid you have lost all credibility in any film thread. :snooty:
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19050  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 15, 2017 11:44 pm

archibald wrote:There seems to be a higher than average preference for films with a unrealistic/unearthly fantasy or supernatural element. Take the first one in the thread, Twilight. Ok, that's a pretty good relationship drama and not a bad love story.....with vampires.

While I vehemently disagree with your assessment of Twilight's qualities, brain's tendency to fantasize seems pretty universal. Even folks who tend to steer away from fantasy may find themselves wandering down the corredors of what ifs... :mrgreen: But I'm guessing you're just making a frivolous, teasing comparison between the Holy Spirit and Alien...though two notable differences are 1.) we don't think Alien is real, and 2.) Alien would clearly win in a deathmatch against the Holy Spirit :snooty:
Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Jan 15, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19051  Postby archibald » Jan 15, 2017 11:47 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Alien would clearly win in a deathmatch against the Holy Spirit :snooty:

I suspect that would make for a very popular film with certain audiences. :)
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#19052  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 15, 2017 11:47 pm

Could probably hit both kinds of audiences if we don't tell them who wins beforehand!
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19053  Postby archibald » Jan 15, 2017 11:49 pm

I admit the genre that seems most surprising is horror. I get that people don't actually believe in stuff like evil spirits and so on....but if they really really don't believe....what's scary?
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#19054  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 15, 2017 11:51 pm

Can't speak for most because I'm not a big horror guy and don't really get scared by them, I just really enjoy all the cool practical effects they use to make a big fuckin' mess :mrgreen:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19055  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 15, 2017 11:54 pm

Though I guess it would be pretty much the same as any other genre of fantasy. I don't think Conan is real, but all the elements suck you into the world where you just sort of accept what's happening even if it's outlandish and absurd. Maybe it's just because I had a religious upbringing :)
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19056  Postby archibald » Jan 15, 2017 11:58 pm

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy a horror film from time to time. And I do get scared. I reckon it's because of my residual tendencies towards superstition.

This one, posted earlier, is typical:

(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#19057  Postby archibald » Jan 16, 2017 12:11 am

scott1328 wrote:

I am afraid you have lost all credibility in any film thread. :snooty:

Drat. And there I was, just about to start a discussion on "À la recherche du temps perdu 2; this time it's personal"". :(
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#19058  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 16, 2017 12:45 am

I don't think you have to believe in supernatural to get affected by jumpscare. It would still affect you even if it wasn't some weird monster thing.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19059  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jan 16, 2017 4:44 am

I don't know with horror. Sometimes I feel like I'm with the character in the film and at the mercy of whatever is in their world. Other times I feel like I'm gonna be assaulted with imagery that disturbs me; not like blood and gore, mind you. Something else.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19060  Postby Fallible » Jan 16, 2017 6:50 am

archibald wrote:There seems to be a higher than average preference for films with a unrealistic/unearthly fantasy or supernatural element.

Does there? Seems about average to me. Speaking for myself, I enjoy a creepy atmosphere. I like the thrill of the possibility of being scared while being aware that it's not real. I like pondering how life would be if it were real, while knowing it isn't. my supernatural elements scarce and ambiguous.

Take the first one in the thread, Twilight. Ok, that's a pretty good relationship drama and not a bad love story.....with vampires.

Twilight?? Get thee hence. :lol:

I'm still not really sure what your point is, or how I significantly changed what you were saying. Most films are fiction, and a large chunk of those involve things that could never happen in real life.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV