What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#20441  Postby Mike_L » Oct 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Animavore wrote:Looks like 2049 is floppy badly. Just like its predecessor. When this becomes a cult classic down the road; will I be on the wrong side of history?

Probably. You have a poor track record when it comes to recognising great cinema classics...

av-ani.jpg
av-ani.jpg (20.03 KiB) Viewed 886 times

:grin:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#20442  Postby proudfootz » Oct 07, 2017 9:02 pm

Animavore wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Animavore wrote:Watching Commando. So terrible. At least it's funny bad. Unlike Blake Runner, which was just bad.

Commando is one of the best worst movies ever. The best part is trying to figure out which funny parts are intentional or not.

I thought the motorbike stunt in T2 was bad stunt doubling. Commando is full of it. I was reminded of this part in I'm Gonna Get You Sucka.

Hahaha!

I saw this movie in a bin somewhere , and now I'm starting to regret not picking it up.

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20443  Postby UncertainSloth » Oct 07, 2017 9:35 pm

sonny....

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20444  Postby Animavore » Oct 07, 2017 11:40 pm

Did Charles Dance start the trend of The British Villain in The Last Action Hero?

:o
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#20445  Postby Animavore » Oct 08, 2017 12:24 am

Why didn't Charles Dance become awesome after TLAH? Why is it nearly 20 years 'til he becomes awesome?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#20446  Postby The_Piper » Oct 08, 2017 12:26 am

Animavore wrote:Looks like 2049 is floppy badly. Just like its predecessor. When this becomes a cult classic down the road; will I be on the wrong side of history?

Maybe I'll see it when it comes to REd Box, if our machine hasn't frozen to death yet.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20447  Postby proudfootz » Oct 08, 2017 1:23 am

Be sure to warm the DVD gently when you bring it home.

This should take no more than 8 hours or so.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20448  Postby Mike_L » Oct 08, 2017 7:44 am

Charles Dance was also the best part of the otherwise disappointing movie The Golden Child (1986)...

The Last Action Hero definitely deserved to do better. Perhaps one of the reasons it didn't fare too well was the competition at the time. It was running against the box office phenomenon that was Jurassic Park.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#20449  Postby UncertainSloth » Oct 08, 2017 8:57 am

was reading this the other day, funnily enough, which gives a lot of the background to the film's development...jurassic park was only the end of its problems.....i have a bit of a soft spot for it..

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/fea ... tion-hero/
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20450  Postby aban57 » Oct 08, 2017 9:44 am

UncertainSloth wrote:was reading this the other day, funnily enough, which gives a lot of the background to the film's development...jurassic park was only the end of its problems.....i have a bit of a soft spot for it..

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/fea ... tion-hero/

Interesting story.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#20451  Postby Mike_L » Oct 08, 2017 10:33 am

Yep, an enjoyable read! Thanks for that, US. :thumbup:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#20452  Postby felltoearth » Oct 09, 2017 3:22 am

Just saw BR 2049.

Sorry Ani. I thought it was amazing.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20453  Postby Animavore » Oct 09, 2017 6:43 am

I'm going to write a song, in the style of James Taylor, called Everyone Likes Blade Runner 2049 But Me.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#20454  Postby aban57 » Oct 09, 2017 7:35 am

Ok, now I have to go see it :)
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#20455  Postby Animavore » Oct 09, 2017 7:42 am

What I don't get is why something like Blade Runner 2049 gets a free pass for being all visuals and sound which barely covers its paper-thin story and lack of depth and Transformers, which is quite masterly in its handling of CGI, doesn't. :dunno:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#20456  Postby Mike_L » Oct 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Animavore wrote:What I don't get is why something like Blade Runner 2049 gets a free pass for being all visuals and sound which barely covers its paper-thin story and lack of depth and Transformers, which is quite masterly in its handling of CGI, doesn't. :dunno:

I guess it's the whole "world building" thing. In Blade Runner 2049, the FX are creating an atmospheric environment. In Transformers, it's (for the most part) just big, noisy action in comparatively familiar, everyday surroundings. I think that the appeal of "otherworldly" settings is significant. I'm not just teasing when I bring up the example of Avatar again. Many viewers who weren't particularly enamored with it's weak Fern Gully premise were nevertheless utterly enchanted with the world of Pandora. I kid you not...

* Avatar fans suicidal because planet Pandora is not real (The Telegraph)
* Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues (CNN)
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#20457  Postby aban57 » Oct 09, 2017 12:11 pm

Well, for a close-enough Na'vi experience, one can go to a native reserve in the US, and live their dystopian future. Or the scenario of Avatar 4, if Cameron is in a realistic mood.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#20458  Postby Mike_L » Oct 09, 2017 12:26 pm

aban57 wrote:

Well, for a close-enough Na'vi experience, one can go to a native reserve in the US, and live their dystopian future. Or the scenario of Avatar 4, if Cameron is in a realistic mood.

Realism is not what they desire! They'd much prefer this... an Avatar ride at Disney World...

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#20459  Postby Macdoc » Oct 09, 2017 2:23 pm

I suspect Blade Runner49 comes a bit close to the reality we are/will face soon enough.
Avatar and other CGi feats are escape .....hell the orginal BR was done without CGI.

What there is in BR49 needed to catch a feel of the original (no CG atmospherics ) while adding effective CGi that's pretty damn close to AR/VR now but anticipating Ai based personal assistants/sex toys with in particular moving holo....something not evident now tho possible inside a closed environment.
Certainly a portable Ai with small projected Holo is possible.....tactile tho ??? difficult tho a former integration of the wetware in humans with the EM environment could certainly create the illusion effectively for the user (as opposed o the observer )
You would need the movie shot entirely in first person POV with the kind of AR and VR available now.

BR49 leaves a satisfying bit of mystery remaining ...if you think it's paper thin perhaps Transformers is your model piece ;)

This is an interesting forum thread with comments from those that have seen it and some in 3D and some in 2D ( of course commenting on 3D without actually seeing it in three D .. :nono: )

https://www.avforums.com/threads/film-r ... 9.2125749/
Last edited by Macdoc on Oct 09, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20460  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 09, 2017 2:27 pm

Animavore wrote:What I don't get is why something like Blade Runner 2049 gets a free pass for being all visuals and sound which barely covers its paper-thin story and lack of depth and Transformers, which is quite masterly in its handling of CGI, doesn't. :dunno:

What do you mean? The CG in the one I saw was terrible. All the robots are a blurry mess of metal that look exactly the same, everything looked fake, weightless and pasted on, and there was no subtlety at all in its use, everything's just in your face the whole time. It was some of the worst pro CG I've ever seen. Haven't seen BR 2049 yet, but the plot has to be deeper than Transformers. I wouldn't be surprised if the new BR is much less than the original, but it has to be more interesting than Megan Fox's tits and explosions every 5 seconds.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV