20 Weird Things About America

That Americans Don't Realize are Weird

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 20 Weird Things About America

#121  Postby Agrippina » Apr 18, 2014 7:44 am

johnbrandt wrote:Oh my god, that fried catfish...! That looks awesome! :thumbup:
Down here a "catfish" is stinking, slimy, loathsome fish that has flesh that tastes like a burning tyre.

And deep fried turkey? Every single year around your Thanksgivings time, we here notice a lot of "warnings" and "cautions" on the internet about safety when "deep frying your turkey", and pictures of massive stainless steel pots on gas burners, full of oil, with helpful suggestions like "do it in your garage and not inside the house" and so-on.
It puzzles the hell out of us...why would you not just throw it in the oven like normal people do around the world...?

However, I will reserve being too harsh in judgement until I have tasted some deep fried turkey.

My late father used to make "lumpy gravy"...I think it started out as a mistake, but it became traditional in our family, especially with sausages.

Maybe I should try to explain Bisto gravy to Americans. :grin: My eldest insists it's the only "proper" gravy.

http://www.aahnight.co.uk
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#122  Postby johnbrandt » Apr 18, 2014 8:58 am

babel wrote:Or, alternatively, cut the thing into manageable pieces before deepfrying it?

I know...it's weird...the whole damn bird. Words fail me.
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#123  Postby Evolving » Apr 18, 2014 8:59 am

I make gravy with the juices from the roast, some of the water from the vegetables, some cornflour and some chicken stock, and it's yum yum yummy.

What's a chicken-fried steak?
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#124  Postby The_Piper » Apr 18, 2014 9:02 am

Evolving wrote:I make gravy with the juices from the roast, some of the water from the vegetables, some cornflour and some chicken stock, and it's yum yum yummy.What's a chicken-fried steak?

I think that's called broth over here.
Some Americans call spaghetti sauce gravy too. It's just a word.
I don't know what chicken-fried steak is.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#125  Postby johnbrandt » Apr 18, 2014 11:03 am

Yeah....what is a chicken fried steak...?
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#126  Postby Evolving » Apr 18, 2014 11:19 am

The_Piper wrote:
Some Americans call spaghetti sauce gravy too.

Any kind of sauce that is eaten with spaghetti, or a specific one (such as ragù bolognese)?

The_Piper wrote:It's just a word.

True.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#127  Postby Briton » Apr 18, 2014 11:21 am

NineOneFour wrote:
Horwood Beer-Master wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:A place that almost exclusively sells Cornish pasties just opened across the street.

OH MY GOD THEY ARE AWESOME.

Are they actually Cornish pasties though? Under European law they could only be sold as Cornish pasties if they were actually made in Cornwall (just as champagne can only come from the Champagne region of France).

I suspect such a law does not apply in the US though.

Actually, the law might apply, which is why they refer to them merely as "pasties".

There are Mexican pasties as well. ;) Apparently Cornish miners introduced them when they went over to work the silver mines.

don't get me started wrote:

2. Vending machines. They are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. I often go cycling, but I never take any drinks with me. I put some coins in my pocket and when I feel like a drink I can usually locate a vending machine within a few minutes, even in out of the way places. Most vending machines are for soft drinks, cigarettes or beer. (Yea!! It would never work in Britain.) Not so much for snacks, and the stories you have heard of vending machines selling used schoolgirl panties are almost certainly myths. (Although saying which, love hotels have vending machines in the room where you can buy sex toys.)

Was listening to The David Pakman Show yesterday and there was an article about a Cannabis vending machine being installed in Colorado. :)
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#128  Postby The_Piper » Apr 18, 2014 11:46 am

Evolving wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
Some Americans call spaghetti sauce gravy too.

Any kind of sauce that is eaten with spaghetti, or a specific one (such as ragù bolognese)?

The_Piper wrote:It's just a word.

True.

I don't know if it's any kind of sauce, but tomato sauce could be called tomato gravy. Maybe it comes from some Italian-Americans calling it that. I call it spaghetti sauce. For me, gravy goes on meat and potatoes. :)
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#129  Postby minininja » Apr 18, 2014 11:50 am

Goldenmane wrote:
Alan B wrote:'Biscuits and gravy'?
Goldenmane wrote:The fuck is that muck?

I'm inclined to concur.
Looks more like a bread roll and lumpy soup. :snooty:

Yep. That ain't biscuits, and that definitely ain't gravy.

Frankly, it looks like an infant threw up on a cushion.

:lol:
It is very weird. It's not biscuits and it's not gravy. But I tried it when I was over there and it was, despite appearances, quite delicious.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#130  Postby johnbrandt » Apr 18, 2014 12:01 pm

When we were driving around Vegas and surrounding areas, we saw a Popeyes Chicken place...I thought it was only something made up from the film "Little Nicky"...and after a $2.99 meal deal, I can assure you that yes indeed, as Little Nicky himself said, "Popeyes Chicken is fucking awesome!"... :lol:

It was two big pieces of chicken with "a biscuit". We had no idea what that was...looked a bit like a flat scone to us when we saw the picture on the wall..but it was amazing. A hint of cheese, brushed with melted butter...I could have eaten a basket of those things on their own!! Loved it!!
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#131  Postby The_Piper » Apr 18, 2014 12:36 pm

I couldn't tell you where the nearest Popeye's is. There are a couple of Kentucky Fried Chickens in northern Maine. A couple. :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#132  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 18, 2014 1:07 pm

johnbrandt wrote:Yeah....what is a chicken fried steak...?

It's just a thin cut of steak, battered and deep fried like chicken. And damn is it tasty, especially with white gravy :dance:

This just made me think of chicken and waffles...

Make sure you've got enough syrup for the chicken too!

edit: ...aaaaaand, my 5K post on this forum was about chicken and waffles, go me :lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Evolving » Apr 18, 2014 1:14 pm

Now that Is weird...
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#134  Postby babel » Apr 18, 2014 1:14 pm

A question about that, Safeasmilk: are these sweet waffles (we eat waffles as a dessert) or are they salty? A bit like the difference between pancakes and crêpes?
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Evolving » Apr 18, 2014 1:15 pm

Well, if it has syrup... And that looks like powder sugar, no?
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#136  Postby LucidFlight » Apr 18, 2014 1:16 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:edit: ...aaaaaand, my 5K post on this forum was about chicken and waffles, go me :lol:

Classy. :thumbup:
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#137  Postby babel » Apr 18, 2014 1:20 pm

Evolving wrote:Well, if it has syrup... And that looks like powder sugar, no?

With what has been described in this thread, NOTHING would surprise me. But the idea of a sweet waffle with deep fried chicken? Who thought of that and how drunk exactly was he or she at the time?
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#138  Postby laklak » Apr 18, 2014 1:39 pm

Can't believe none of y'all has ever had a chicken fried steak. It's a boneless piece of steak (like eye of round), pounded with a mallet until it surrenders, dipped in batter and fried in a cast-iron skillet like you'd fry chicken. Milk gravy is basically a white sauce made with bacon grease, though I put a bit of cayenne in to heat it up a bit.

Deep fried turkey is da bomb. Sometimes literally, if the bird is still even partially frozen.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#139  Postby The_Piper » Apr 18, 2014 1:55 pm

I'd try it once if the batter was eggless. I like steak totally plain though. I'm a cowavore. (though I only eat red meat 2-3 times a week :angel: )
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#140  Postby NineOneFour » Apr 18, 2014 1:56 pm

babel wrote:
Evolving wrote:Well, if it has syrup... And that looks like powder sugar, no?

With what has been described in this thread, NOTHING would surprise me. But the idea of a sweet waffle with deep fried chicken? Who thought of that and how drunk exactly was he or she at the time?

It is a sweet waffle. With chicken. And it is absolutely divine in every way.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion