How to quit smoking cigarettes?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How to quit smoking cigarettes?

#21  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 27, 2023 5:41 pm

The_Piper wrote:I saw a sign for $10 for Marlboros here, but many people in this local area have taken to buying loose tobacco and rolling their own, or smoke generic brands that are 7 or 8 dollars. I quit in 2010. Even $5 a day would sink me, but if I had smoked another 13 years, I'd have profound emphysema or COPD, and be headed towards carrying oxygen around and probably die of lung cancer. Keeping my toes crossed that I quit in time to avoid that fate.
13% sounds high. I looked up US and it is 11.5%. Maine is 17%, which is surprising. Canada is 12%.

That’s the thing, isn’t it? The fuckin’ things will kill you, horribly.

I don’t remember the timeline, but your risk of cancer falls dramatically over the years after you quit. Well done.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby aliihsanasl » Nov 27, 2023 7:23 pm

THWOTH wrote:In the UK taxes on cigarettes have increased relatively swiftly and steeply, such that you can feed a family of four a meal for the price of one pack. £316.70 tax per 1,000 cigarettes plus 16.5% of retail price = c.£15 per pack retail. Progressive changes to the law have effectively made smoking an outdoor activity these days, and most housing rental agreements cite smoking as grounds for eviction. In Scotland you can't smoke in the outdoor seating areas of pubs and restaurants either. c.13% of the adult population of the UK smoke compared to c.20% a decade ago and c.30% in 2000.

In terms of public health this "nudge" approach to smoking has had a significant positive impact. Interestingly, the government are reluctant to take a similar approach when dealing with other public health concerns around alcohol, or sugar, trans fats, and salt in processed foodstuffs.

There is incredible amount of tax on cigarettes here too when I learned a smoker only paying 2-3 amount of cigars in a box and all other money going to government very surprised me.

Strangely banning its advers restricting smoking places just having very limited effect. When I was in the university between 1998-2002 kids were smoking in the class during breaks even one prof. was smoking during lesson. Its so common and somewhat popular when you say I dont smoke they ask "how did you leave" and when you say I never started they ask "why you didnt?" seriously this conversation took place between me and a nurse which I started working in 2009. It was a company suppplying devices and metal pieces used in spine operations everyone in the office was smoking and there were 6 people its like chain smoking another one starting when one of them stop. I cant stand reading a second hand book if a smoker read it previously so I felt like I dropped to hell :D left there in the first month. Boss of that company had close ties with many doctors of İstanbul hospitals, guess what happened just 3-4 years later guy passed away from lung cancer.

Smokers most of the time think that when they smoke 2-3 steps away they wont bother others but actually they smoke in house unless you air it for a few days that smell is staying on furnitures, curtains...
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#23  Postby THWOTH » Nov 27, 2023 9:07 pm

I should probably add that a generation's worth of education, banning of tv advertising, sports sponsorship, and increasing amounts of the pack being given over to bleak warnings and graphic pictures of tar drenched lungs has almost certain stopped quite a few people from starting. Under 30s are the least likely to smoke tobacco but the most likely to do other drugs. In 2020 c.10% of men reported smoking cannabis in the previous 12 months compared to c.5% of women. Cannabis is by far the most used drug in the UK though it's overall use has fallen from c.27% in 1996 to c.8% in 2013/14, from where is has steadily risen to c.11% of adults by 2020.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby The_Piper » Nov 27, 2023 11:37 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
The_Piper wrote:I saw a sign for $10 for Marlboros here, but many people in this local area have taken to buying loose tobacco and rolling their own, or smoke generic brands that are 7 or 8 dollars. I quit in 2010. Even $5 a day would sink me, but if I had smoked another 13 years, I'd have profound emphysema or COPD, and be headed towards carrying oxygen around and probably die of lung cancer. Keeping my toes crossed that I quit in time to avoid that fate.
13% sounds high. I looked up US and it is 11.5%. Maine is 17%, which is surprising. Canada is 12%.

That’s the thing, isn’t it? The fuckin’ things will kill you, horribly.

I don’t remember the timeline, but your risk of cancer falls dramatically over the years after you quit. Well done.
Thanks! Yes they will kill you, horrible and relatively young. 2 of my uncles died in their 50's. One from prostate cancer I believe, and the other from lung cancer. I don't want that. And as it progresses, it's like torture. I had severe asthma as a kid, so I can tell you, it's horrible struggling to breathe. Basically for a while it'll be like breathing through a straw, then like breathing through a coffee stirrer, then you die. I knew one guy, a Vietnam vet, who had copd, eventually he reached the point where he crawled on the floor from his bedroom to the living room.
Let that be a grim lesson to any smokers reading. He would say the same if he could.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby The_Piper » Nov 27, 2023 11:52 pm

THWOTH wrote:I should probably add that a generation's worth of education, banning of tv advertising, sports sponsorship, and increasing amounts of the pack being given over to bleak warnings and graphic pictures of tar drenched lungs has almost certain stopped quite a few people from starting. Under 30s are the least likely to smoke tobacco but the most likely to do other drugs. In 2020 c.10% of men reported smoking cannabis in the previous 12 months compared to c.5% of women. Cannabis is by far the most used drug in the UK though it's overall use has fallen from c.27% in 1996 to c.8% in 2013/14, from where is has steadily risen to c.11% of adults by 2020.
Wow, 27%. :lol: :lol: I just now read on the state website that Maine is estimated to be 30%. :shock: I guess that sounds about right. :mrgreen: Of course, it's legal for adults here, and we've had medical marijuana since the late 1990's, before I lived in Maine. So we're saturated. Also of note in the PDF, for every dollar of marijuana sold there is two dollars of supply. I'll have to hire a couple of raccoons to go through the trash at places that grow and sell it. I'll give them a happy meal for every quarter ounce. :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby aliihsanasl » Nov 28, 2023 10:11 am

Vaping: Australia to ban disposable vape imports from January

Australia will ban imports of disposable vapes from January, in an effort to curb nicotine addiction in children.

New laws to stop single-use vapes from being made, advertised, and supplied in the country will also be introduced.

It comes amid a broader push to phase out recreational vaping completely.

Vaping has been marketed as a way to quit smoking, but Australia's health minister says it has created a "new generation of nicotine dependency".

Vapes, or e-cigarettes, are lithium battery-powered devices that have cartridges filled with liquids containing nicotine, artificial flavourings, and a range of other chemicals.

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#27  Postby THWOTH » Nov 28, 2023 12:55 pm

Disposable vapes are certainly problematic. They generally have higher nicotine content than refillable juices, may contain harmful additives, are very resource intensive, and are suspected of causing landfill fires. On the other hand, even though some consider them a gateway to tobacco smoking they offer a practical and far safer alternative to cigarettes for those wishing to quit than nicotine patches, gums or drops - which have been shown to maintain dependence, and in some cases increase it.

I'm doubtful about 'think of the children' arguments (I mean, will they ban sweet alcopops to curb Australia's high levels of alcohol addiction?), and where someone is addicted to nicotine and relying on vaping, sales bans of relatively cheap equipment could act as an incentive to take up more expensive, harmful, and addictive smoking.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#28  Postby aliihsanasl » Nov 28, 2023 9:22 pm

More and more ban news coming

SANDS BAD France to introduce very strict new rules on every beach in the country

The French Government will ban smoking at all beaches, public parks, forests, and other public spaces, as part of a national anti-tobacco campaign.

The proposal was presented by Aurelien Rousseau, the French Health Minister in a statement made to French journalists earlier today.

According to AP news, he said: "Beaches, parks, around schools -– lots of places had started these experiments and now, it’s true, we’re heading to a general rule to show our determination.

The legislation will be introduced from the start of next year in a bid to curb smoking in public spaces, including beaches.

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussion