Internet Aristocrat Explains Social Justice Warriors

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Internet Aristocrat Explains Social Justice Warriors

#361  Postby proudfootz » Aug 28, 2015 8:35 pm

Sadegh wrote:
proudfootz wrote:You'd have to link to Sarkeesian's post where she supposedly claims these are images of her playing the game.

She raised all that money with the pretext of buying the games she was going to criticize, playing them and then doing her own analysis from that experience. Apparently she didn't. And, in any case, she failed to credit the long-players whose footage she plagiarized. That's why it's called plagiarism: because she didn't give credit.

So, no link to Sarkeesian ever saying the things you're claiming?

Quelle surprise!

Not very interested in stuff you're making up about Sarkeesian either. :coffee:

proudfootz wrote:I'm not eager to take the word of someone like [...] Thunderf00l

You certainly did when it was him documenting the feud between Jordan Owen and Davis "LaVey" Aurini.

What, is it only when he says things you like that he's credible?

I never claimed he was 'credible'. Read the text again, this time for understanding.

But then, you don't understand the notion of 'fair use' either. :whistle:
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#362  Postby Sadegh » Aug 28, 2015 8:45 pm

proudfootz wrote:So, no link to Sarkeesian ever saying the things you're claiming?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... 0-in-2014/

She apparently claims that some of that money was spent on games of which she had to plagiarize longplay footage, and systems required to execute them.

This is hardly surprising from someone who was at one point involved in pyramid schemes multi-level marketing.

proudfootz wrote:I never claimed he was 'credible'.

Then why did you embed his video, pray tell?

proudfootz wrote:But then, you don't understand the notion of 'fair use' either.

You have to give credit for fair use. When you don't give credit, what you are doing is called "plagiarism".
La guerra è bella perché inaugura la sognata metallizzazione del corpo umano.
(War is beautiful because it initiates the dreamed-of metalization of the human body.)

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#363  Postby proudfootz » Aug 28, 2015 8:54 pm

Sadegh wrote:
proudfootz wrote:So, no link to Sarkeesian ever saying the things you're claiming?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... 0-in-2014/

She apparently claims that some of that money was spent on games of which she had to plagiarize longplay footage, and systems required to execute them.

Funny - I don't see any quotes from Sarkeesian in this opinion piece.

Let alone any claim that any and all images of gameplay will be of Sarkeesian playing the game.

So it would seem to be fair to say that you cannot support your claim.

And that you don't know or don't care about the truth (or some combination of the two).

proudfootz wrote:I never claimed he was 'credible'.

Then why did you embed his video, pray tell?

Read the text accompanying the video. It's there for a reason.

:popcorn:
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#364  Postby Sadegh » Aug 28, 2015 9:01 pm

proudfootz wrote:Funny - I don't see any quotes from Sarkeesian in this opinion piece.

"Anita Sarkeesian has released a financial breakdown of the way funds raised in her 2012 Tropes vs. Women Kickstarter were spent."

Well if it's a pie chart, then she didn't really "say" it as such, did she?

proudfootz wrote:Let alone any claim that any and all images of gameplay will be of Sarkeesian playing the game.

Whatever the case may be her, she is and remains a plagiarist for taking others' footage and failing to provide attribution, which is the essence of what makes someone a plagiarist.
(War is beautiful because it initiates the dreamed-of metalization of the human body.)

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#365  Postby proudfootz » Aug 28, 2015 9:06 pm

Sadegh wrote:
proudfootz wrote:Funny - I don't see any quotes from Sarkeesian in this opinion piece.

"Anita Sarkeesian has released a financial breakdown of the way funds raised in her 2012 Tropes vs. Women Kickstarter were spent."

Well if it's a pie chart, then she didn't really "say" it as such, did she?

Exactly.

Nothing there supports your claim that she promised all images used in the videos would be of Sarkeesian playing the games.

You fail. And fail miserably.

This subject is now closed.

proudfootz wrote:Let alone any claim that any and all images of gameplay will be of Sarkeesian playing the game.

Whatever the case may be her, she is and remains a plagiarist for taking others' footage and failing to provide attribution, which is the essence of what makes someone a plagiarist.

So, shall we take this as your withdrawal of the false claim you made?
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#366  Postby Sadegh » Aug 28, 2015 9:07 pm

proudfootz wrote:Read the text accompanying the video. It's there for a reason.

I read it. It said absolutely nothing about thunderf00t's credibility or lack thereof. It seems he's credible enough to be a source about the Owen/Aurini spat for you.

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#367  Postby Sadegh » Aug 28, 2015 9:09 pm

proudfootz wrote:Nothing there supports your claim that she promised all images used in the videos would be of Sarkeesian playing the games.

Even if I made some kind of final concession that she never said she'd actually play the games she was criticizing and actually use her own footage, she'd still be a plagiarist.

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#368  Postby proudfootz » Aug 28, 2015 9:16 pm

So, to continue in the vein of 'who are these anti-social justice warriors' here we have a breakdown of the claim that Sarkeesian intended some sort of scam...

It appears many of the Gamergaters are just credulous trolls ready to blow up in faux rage over nothing.

"None of it actually holds up to any kind of scrutiny - not even in the least."
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#369  Postby Sadegh » Aug 28, 2015 9:24 pm

"This video is unavailable.

Sorry about that."

And Anita Sarsleazian is still a plagiarist.

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#370  Postby Sadegh » Aug 28, 2015 9:31 pm

proudfootz wrote:So, to continue in the vein of 'who are these anti-social justice warriors' here we have a breakdown of the claim that Sarkeesian intended some sort of scam...

Looks like you've fixed the embed, but I'm not watching that 50 minute video, because I have reading to do. Nevertheless, Sarsleazian is still a plagiarist and most definitely has been involved in con artistry as demonstrated with her work with Alex Mandossian and Bart Baggett (whether Baggett was doing PUA crap at the time is immaterial because handwriting analysis is con artistry anyway).

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#371  Postby proudfootz » Aug 28, 2015 9:35 pm

Sadegh wrote:"This video is unavailable.

Sorry about that."

And Anita Sarsleazian is still a plagiarist.

yes, in exactly the same way anyone using an image, a gif, or a video clip without attribution are 'plagiarists'.

BFD

:coffee:
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#372  Postby Sadegh » Aug 28, 2015 9:38 pm

proudfootz wrote:yes, in exactly the same way anyone using an image, a gif, or a video clip without attribution are 'plagiarists'

Content creators plagiarized from may not all agree about this:

http://cowkitty.net/post/78581402103/ho ... ing-stolen

So… I just found my old Dragon’s Lair fanart is being used without my permission in advertising for a very successful Kickstarter project… since 2012.

I don’t know how to approach this. On one hand, the project had a message I can identify with. On the other, no credit was given, my signature was removed, and they made $150k+

(To be fair: My memory is fuzzy, but I don’t remember giving permission and haven’t found any e-mails yet reminding me that I did. :/ )

Silliest Part: they stole my fanart (drawn by a me, a woman and freelance video game artist) to use in marketing material to illustrate sexism in video games. Was it assumed that a man had drawn it, and so it would be ok to use without permission to illustrate a point? >.>

Copyright law is law, regardless of gender. I didn’t design or create the character, but I did create that drawing AS A TRIBUTE to the character and not for commercial use. :/

Suggestions? :/

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#373  Postby proudfootz » Aug 28, 2015 9:39 pm

Sadegh wrote:
proudfootz wrote:So, to continue in the vein of 'who are these anti-social justice warriors' here we have a breakdown of the claim that Sarkeesian intended some sort of scam...

Looks like you've fixed the embed, but I'm not watching that 50 minute video, because I have reading to do. Nevertheless, Sarsleazian is still a plagiarist and most definitely has been involved in con artistry as demonstrated with her work with Alex Mandossian and Bart Baggett (whether Baggett was doing PUA crap at the time is immaterial because handwriting analysis is con artistry anyway).

Yes, the video shows how the absurd claims about 'con artistry' are unfounded urban myths.

The video isn't for you, as it seems clear you have zero interest in what is good for the human race (per your earlier post).

The video is for the education of any humans who might be tempted to take your specious claims seriously.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#374  Postby Sadegh » Aug 28, 2015 9:41 pm

proudfootz wrote:The video isn't for you, as it seems clear you have zero interest in what is good for the human race (per your earlier post).

Perhaps, but I do care whether Sarsleazian is a plagiarist and con artist and she is, indeed, both.

As for your assertion that you are acting on the behalf of other forum members: it seems that most of the other people posting in this thread have just laughed off a lot of what you've said, so I'm afraid your message might be falling on deaf ears.

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#375  Postby proudfootz » Aug 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Sadegh wrote:
proudfootz wrote:yes, in exactly the same way anyone using an image, a gif, or a video clip without attribution are 'plagiarists'

Content creators plagiarized from may not all agree about this:

http://cowkitty.net/post/78581402103/ho ... ing-stolen

So… I just found my old Dragon’s Lair fanart is being used without my permission in advertising for a very successful Kickstarter project… since 2012.

I don’t know how to approach this. On one hand, the project had a message I can identify with. On the other, no credit was given, my signature was removed, and they made $150k+

(To be fair: My memory is fuzzy, but I don’t remember giving permission and haven’t found any e-mails yet reminding me that I did. :/ )

Silliest Part: they stole my fanart (drawn by a me, a woman and freelance video game artist) to use in marketing material to illustrate sexism in video games. Was it assumed that a man had drawn it, and so it would be ok to use without permission to illustrate a point? >.>

Copyright law is law, regardless of gender. I didn’t design or create the character, but I did create that drawing AS A TRIBUTE to the character and not for commercial use. :/

Suggestions? :/

This has already been dealt with.

Recently, it came to our attention that we had accidentally used a piece of fan art in a collage we made for my Tropes vs Women in Video Games Kickstarter two years ago. Some of you have politely asked questions and expressed concern about this issue so I will do my best to clear things up here.

First, we would like to offer our sincerest apologies to Tammy for mistaking her Dragon’s Lair fan art for official promotional material two years ago when we created this remix collage. Her rendering of famed animator Don Bluth’s character Princess Daphne is so professional looking that we honestly thought it was official art used in the marketing of one of the dozens of Dragon’s Lair remakes and ports that have been released over the past 30 years. Compounding our confusion, Tammy’s image is used on many video game sites and forums without proper attribution to the artist and without indication that it is fan art. It was on one of these sites that we originally found the image which was grouped with many other official images of famous female gaming characters.

<full apology at link below>

http://femfreq.tumblr.com/post/79882515 ... hat-we-had

See the difference between a real complaint and your fake ones?

Of course this happened at least a year ago, so it's probably news to you.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#376  Postby Sadegh » Aug 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Good, now she can apologize for the LP plagiarism too.

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#377  Postby proudfootz » Aug 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Sadegh wrote:
proudfootz wrote:The video isn't for you, as it seems clear you have zero interest in what is good for the human race (per your earlier post).

Perhaps, but I do care whether Sarsleazian is a plagiarist and con artist and she is, indeed, both.

Since you can't spend 50 minutes investigating the claims you take on faith, but spend untold weeks trolling a thread based on such specious unexamined claims, it doesn't seem you care whether she is or isn't guilty of the charges.

Your agenda seems to lie in another area.

As for your assertion that you are acting on the behalf of other forum members: it seems that most of the other people posting in this thread have just laughed off a lot of what you've said, so I'm afraid your message might be falling on deaf ears.

People who are deaf to facts are of little concern to me, other than the harm they do in propagating false claims as you do.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#378  Postby Sadegh » Aug 28, 2015 9:51 pm

proudfootz wrote:Since you can't spend 50 minutes investigating the claims you take on faith

Her plagiarism (it's easy to ask for forgiveness than permission by the way) and involvement with fellow con artists Bart Baggett and Alex Mandossian are not articles of faith.

proudfootz wrote:but spend untold weeks trolling a thread based on such specious unexamined claims

How many person-hours do I think you spent on these posts?

proudfootz wrote:People who are deaf to facts are of little concern to me, other than the harm they do in propagating false claims as you do.

What, like 9/11 truther claims?

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#379  Postby proudfootz » Aug 28, 2015 9:57 pm

Sadegh wrote:
proudfootz wrote:Since you can't spend 50 minutes investigating the claims you take on faith

Her plagiarism (it's easy to ask for forgiveness than permission by the way) and involvement with fellow con artists Bart Baggett and Alex Mandossian are articles of faith.

Yes, you accept this dogma on faith.

Others are rational and skeptical.

proudfootz wrote:but spend untold weeks trolling a thread based on such specious unexamined claims

How many person-hours do I think I spent on these posts?

Not much.

Which functions rather as an indication of how important you take the truth value of the dogmas you have accepted without examination.

proudfootz wrote:People who are deaf to facts are of little concern to me, other than the harm they do in propagating false claims as you do.

What, like 9/11 truther claims?

What have your unsubstantiated claims about Sarkeesian or so-called 'SJWs' got to do with 9/11?

Nothing? :ask:

When you're done running off with those goal posts, please return them. Thanks in advance!
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#380  Postby Sadegh » Aug 28, 2015 10:04 pm

proudfootz wrote:Yes, you accept this dogma on faith.

See edit.

proudfootz wrote:Others are rational and skeptical.

9/11 truthers are by definition not rational and skeptical. Honestly I think you'll swallow anything uncritically if it has a suitably left wing orientation.

And so we see how Anita Sarkeesian has moved on from bilking people with teleseminar scams and handwriting analysis to an equally gullible and certainly more rabidly devoted demographic of suckers: social justice warriors.

proudfootz wrote:
How many person-hours do I think I spent on these posts?

Not much.

*Not many.

So we now go from weeks of furious, dedicated trolling to I don't even care that much.

Well played.

proudfootz wrote:What have your unsubstantiated claims about Sarkeesian or so-called 'SJWs' got to do with 9/11?

At least as much as Aurini's Holocaust denialism has to do with me.

— F.T. Marinetti
Sadegh
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion