Jerry Seinfeld Talks ‘Creepy P.C.’ Culture with Seth Meyers

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Jerry Seinfeld Talks ‘Creepy P.C.’ Culture with Seth Meyers

#441  Postby purplerat » Sep 03, 2015 8:31 pm

My son and daughter are 15 months apart. People buy them "girl toys" and "boys toys" but damned if I can tell which belong to who based on who plays with them.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#442  Postby Doubtdispelled » Sep 03, 2015 8:59 pm

purplerat wrote:My son and daughter are 15 months apart. People buy them "girl toys" and "boys toys" but damned if I can tell which belong to who based on who plays with them.

Obviously, PR, you just aren't exerting the required amount of control, or being vigilant enough. Take one parental demerit!
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#443  Postby purplerat » Sep 03, 2015 9:04 pm

I guess I need to be more mindful of not falling victim to creepy PC culture in letting my kids play with the toys they like rather than the ones some stranger designated for them to like.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#444  Postby Skinny Puppy » Sep 03, 2015 9:14 pm

Onyx8 wrote:What is an 'exclusively' boy toy?

Boys' Toys

• Boys’ Action Figures
• Boys’ Video Games
• Bikes and Ride-Ons for Boys
• Boys’ Electronics
• Building Sets for Boys
• Boys Arts and Crafts
• Musical Instruments for Boys

http://www.toysrus.com/products/boys-toys.jsp

I'm only the messenger, I didn't create that, but knock yourself out. :thumbup:
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#445  Postby Onyx8 » Sep 03, 2015 9:15 pm

So nothing is exclusively a boy toy then.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#446  Postby laklak » Sep 03, 2015 9:17 pm

Ain't no son of mine gonna play no goddamn oboe.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#447  Postby Fallible » Sep 03, 2015 9:18 pm

:rofl:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#448  Postby Doubtdispelled » Sep 03, 2015 9:18 pm

purplerat wrote:I guess I need to be more mindful of not falling victim to creepy PC culture in letting my kids play with the toys they like rather than the ones some stranger designated for them to like.

Absolutely, PR. You must be ever vigilant.

On a somewhat related note, a little anecdote.

Last weekend I attended a party which was for a whole spectrum of ages, it being a combined 21st and 50th birthday, and a silver wedding anniversary celebration all at the same time.

The funniest thing I saw the whole weekend was the expression on the face of a 70-something man who was watching a group of young guys all dancing together and practising their break-dancing moves. It was a picture of horrified but unable-to-look-away fascination. :lol:
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#449  Postby Skinny Puppy » Sep 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Now with the passage of time and looking into this issue even further and deeper, we still hold that view. Obviously though... should a child of ours exhibit the traits of the opposite sex then we’ll evaluate that and take corrective measures. (Not draconian, it would be done through a medical professional or whoever deals with those types of gender identity issues.)

1 What if, just as a thought, Skinny, you happen to have a child like me? I exhibit many of the traits of the opposite sex, yet I am undoubtedly female. And it's all to do with the way my brain works, apparently. Or so I am told. 2 Corrective measures? *shudders*
Skinny Puppy wrote:Just going by the odds it is rather remote that we’ll have to deal with that.

Er... no, no it isn't. I think enlightened people are beginning to recognise that there is a spectrum. It is no longer 'us and them' or 'male and female'. The lines are blurring.
Skinny Puppy wrote:
We both will encourage our kids (boys and girls) to pursue the sciences. They’ll both have microscopes, telescopes (although I already have a telescope, so it’ll just be a matter of introducing them to its use) chemistry sets and so on. Neither one will be privileged over the other and they’ll be taught the dangers of buying into nonsense ideologies... like religion.

Well that's a start! :cheers:

1 To be honest I simply don’t know because I don’t have all of the answers when it comes to raising kids. I doubt that anyone in the world has all of the answers. However, if there’s any doubt that my wife and I are not doing what is best for our child then we’d seek the help of a professional.

2 I picked a rather poor term for what I meant. ‘Corrective’ doesn’t mean that a boy in a girl’s body would be conditioned to be a boy, but rather that we would seek professional help (like above) to allow the child to be what they want to be or what is best for them.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#450  Postby Doubtdispelled » Sep 03, 2015 9:25 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:

Boys' Toys

• Boys’ Action Figures
• Boys’ Video Games
• Boys’ Electronics
• Building Sets for Boys
• Boys Arts and Crafts

You seem to have a really weird obsession with Toysrus, Skinny.

There are other toy shops, y'know. Just sayin'.
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#451  Postby Fallible » Sep 03, 2015 9:26 pm

Why wouldn't you just let them choose/decide what they want to be through giving them the option of what to play with rather than letting it get the to the point of having to engage a professional about it?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#452  Postby purplerat » Sep 03, 2015 9:31 pm

I'm not sure how we got on the topic of toys but Target has recently moved towards gender neutral toy sections.

As per usual it's the Anti-PC-Brigade who have themselves all worked up in a tizzy about what a terrible thing this must be.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... olicy.html
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#453  Postby Doubtdispelled » Sep 03, 2015 9:32 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Now with the passage of time and looking into this issue even further and deeper, we still hold that view. Obviously though... should a child of ours exhibit the traits of the opposite sex then we’ll evaluate that and take corrective measures. (Not draconian, it would be done through a medical professional or whoever deals with those types of gender identity issues.)

1 What if, just as a thought, Skinny, you happen to have a child like me? I exhibit many of the traits of the opposite sex, yet I am undoubtedly female. And it's all to do with the way my brain works, apparently. Or so I am told. 2 Corrective measures? *shudders*
Skinny Puppy wrote:Just going by the odds it is rather remote that we’ll have to deal with that.

Er... no, no it isn't. I think enlightened people are beginning to recognise that there is a spectrum. It is no longer 'us and them' or 'male and female'. The lines are blurring.
Skinny Puppy wrote:
We both will encourage our kids (boys and girls) to pursue the sciences. They’ll both have microscopes, telescopes (although I already have a telescope, so it’ll just be a matter of introducing them to its use) chemistry sets and so on. Neither one will be privileged over the other and they’ll be taught the dangers of buying into nonsense ideologies... like religion.

Well that's a start! :cheers:

1 To be honest I simply don’t know because I don’t have all of the answers when it comes to raising kids. I doubt that anyone in the world has all of the answers. However, if there’s any doubt that my wife and I are not doing what is best for our child then we’d seek the help of a professional.

2 I picked a rather poor term for what I meant. ‘Corrective’ doesn’t mean that a boy in a girl’s body would be conditioned to be a boy, but rather that we would seek professional help (like above) to allow the child to be what they want to be or what is best for them.

Ah, there we go, Skinny. Allow the child (not boy, or girl, but child, person, human...) to be what they want to be. That's all that you can do.

I'd stay away from the professionals if I were you, unless there is a really obvious problem that needs addressing.
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#454  Postby Doubtdispelled » Sep 03, 2015 9:35 pm

purplerat wrote:I'm not sure how we got on the topic of toys but Target has recently moved towards gender neutral toy sections.

As per usual it's the Anti-PC-Brigade who have themselves all worked up in a tizzy about what a terrible thing this must be.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... olicy.html

I can't be arsed to read all that, PR, but let me take a guess.

It's fear of the threat of gayness, right?
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#455  Postby tolman » Sep 03, 2015 9:36 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:To be honest I simply don’t know because I don’t have all of the answers when it comes to raising kids. I doubt that anyone in the world has all of the answers. However, if there’s any doubt that my wife and I are not doing what is best for our child then we’d seek the help of a professional.

I assume the double negative was unintentional.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#456  Postby purplerat » Sep 03, 2015 9:39 pm

Close
Fox & Friends found a psychotherapist who…implied that children might “question what their gender is” if they were taken into a Target store without gender-based signage.

Walsh conveniently lays bare the fundamental internal contradiction in the anti-Target outcry: If gender is a universal, biological, and God-ordained constant, then why do children need cultural reinforcement from a retail chain to figure it out? In the bizarro world of far-right logic, gender is at once the strongest force on the planet and the most fragile. The God of Genesis may have created male and female but unless Target puts these words on signs for action figures and Barbie dolls, all of His hard work will be undone. The protests seem to be motivated by the paradoxical fear that children will grow up genderless without Target’s help even though their biology should supposedly guide them into pink and blue aisles without any intervention.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#457  Postby Skinny Puppy » Sep 03, 2015 9:40 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:

Boys' Toys

• Boys’ Action Figures
• Boys’ Video Games
• Boys’ Electronics
• Building Sets for Boys
• Boys Arts and Crafts

You seem to have a really weird obsession with Toysrus, Skinny.

There are other toy shops, y'know. Just sayin'.

No it’s not an obsession, not by any stretch of the imagination. Where we live there are no specific toy stores except the usual (meager) selection of toys found in most non-toy (department-type) stores, and in some cases, they are way overpriced. The closest big toy store near us is a Toy R Us otherwise we’d have to drive a considerable distance.

Plus they do have a humongous selection. We get requests from the kids we buy for and in 99% of the cases that store fits the bill. And speaking of requests, one 5-year-old girl that we buy for has already put in her Xmas request. She wants a ‘Monster’ doll. I haven’t a clue what that is but Mrs. Puppy knew exactly what it is and will do the selecting when it comes time to buy it for her.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#458  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 03, 2015 10:14 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:SP -- I have to admit, after all that I'm still not entirely sure what the answer to my question is, which makes it difficult for me to tell what the thinking behind it would be. All I can tell is that you're fine with the currently accepted gender expectations and object to them being changed, even though they've changed in the past as you've indicated. That part looks contradictory to me, but I'm not particularly interested in whatever justification can be concocted for the current regime anyway since it's pretty arbitrary, as you've gone to great lengths to point out. Helping people who don't feel the need to conform to these arbitrary rules would be a pretty great advantage, I think, as would helping all people see how arbitrary many of our gender distinctions are. But I digress.

The closest thing to an answer I could see to a direct answer to my question is this:

If one of our kids deviates from that then we’ll change our game plan to accommodate him/her.

Does this mean if your son asks for a doll you'll get one for him? If your daughter asks for toy trucks and GI Joes you'll get them for her? Why or why not?

I explained quite a bit in this post above:
Skinny Puppy wrote:

I'm missing this quote here, would like to see it :smile:

However, I’ll clarify a few things.

This quote below still holds true. (I’d forgotten I’d written that, but thanks DD for saving me having to re-write the same thing all over again). :thumbup:

Skinny Puppy wrote:
Speaking personally, my wife and I have discussed how we’ll raise our kids when we have them. We’ve both agreed (100%) that our boy will have boy toys (exclusively) and our girl will have girl toys. We have no intention of buying our son a doll, a tea set or a slew of Barbie dolls. Our daughter will not have trucks, cars and soldier sets, she’ll have toys that my wife will select for her. In fact, my wife is looking forward to having a daughter so she can buy her all of the fantastic girl toys that are now available.

So, you want to specifically design your children that way. Design isn't a bad thing, I suspect most would agree that attempting to design our children as critical thinkers is a good thing to do. From what you ay, I'm assuming you want to design the gender of your children because you feel it will make things easiest on them, and them having standard gender roles is what you and your wife would prefer anyway. Fair enough, but the real problems arise when we have a child that acts differently despite the directing they've received, hence my question.

Now with the passage of time and looking into this issue even further and deeper, we still hold that view. Obviously though... should a child of ours exhibit the traits of the opposite sex then we’ll evaluate that and take corrective measures. (Not draconian, it would be done through a medical professional or whoever deals with those types of gender identity issues.) Just going by the odds it is rather remote that we’ll have to deal with that.

I have to ask what you'd define as "exhibit traits of the opposite sex" sufficient to need corrective measures from a medical professional. Is your son asking for a doll enough? (Does anybody know what type of medical professional deals with gender identity issues?)

I have an excellent background in religion, cosmology, relativity, astronomy, physics, math, quantum mechanics etc. and they will be taught that at an appropriate age to better prepare them for university should that be their goal. Regardless though, that info will help them to avoid the charlatans and nonsense peddlers who would poison their minds. I also have astronomy and physics software that they’ll learn to use when they’re old enough.

All sounds great to me :thumbup:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#459  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 03, 2015 10:24 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:

Can't you skip the first step and just allow the child to be what they want to be? Seems less expensive, and quicker :)
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#460  Postby tolman » Sep 03, 2015 10:38 pm

purplerat wrote:Close
Fox & Friends found a psychotherapist who…implied that children might “question what their gender is” if they were taken into a Target store without gender-based signage.

I'm sure if I paidtried I could find a psychotherapist who would say (never mind imply) pretty much anything.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion