MLB Baseball in London?

Red Sox and Yankees May play 2 games in June 2019

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: MLB Baseball in London?

#21  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 28, 2018 1:43 pm

One of the comments was very good IMHO:

Rocky Mountain po’ boy, Coors Field (Colorado Rockies)
Rocky Mountain oysters topped with garlic slaw, guacamole, green chili ranch, pico de gallo and cotija cheese on a po’boy roll.

Got to admire their ballsfor serving that really

:rofl:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#22  Postby The_Piper » Mar 28, 2018 6:25 pm

I was just coming to post my displeasure about that course. :yuk:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby The_Piper » Mar 28, 2018 6:26 pm

i have no avatar wrote:Not to take too much away from the subject teams, but hmm, let's see - Yankees: F-off! BoSox: Win multiple Series (recently). Cubs: Win Series (recently). Even the damn DisAstros win the Series!

But the Texas Rangers - one strike away from the Series win - twice in the same damn game!

F***!

But I'm not bitter. :waah:

Oh, and did I mention:

Cowboys: Super Bowl win(s) - check
Mavericks: NBA title - check
Stars: Stanley Cup - check
Rangers - F!

What year was that? At least Texas fans got to watch Pay-Rod for a while. :evilgrin:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby The_Piper » Mar 28, 2018 6:28 pm

newolder wrote:Does the Department of Redundancy Redundancy know about this Major League Baseball Baseball in London? I need to know: Do I need a PIN Number to watch?

:lol: I knew it was redundant, but most of the posters here wouldn't know what MLB stands for, so I made it clearer.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby newolder » Mar 28, 2018 6:40 pm

^ No worries. The DoRR was in full flow earlier this week - One of the UK's top mathematicians, Hannah Fry, made a BBC "Contagion" documentary to model, with "proper" maths and everything, the spread of a flu-like virus - volunteers installed an App on their phones that could be accessed by a "PIN number"! Arrghhh!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby The_Piper » Mar 28, 2018 6:47 pm

:lol: :lol:
I never thought of that one before. I say pin number as well. Now I used to!
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Blackadder » Mar 28, 2018 6:55 pm

newolder wrote:^ No worries. The DoRR was in full flow earlier this week - One of the UK's top mathematicians, Hannah Fry, made a BBC "Contagion" documentary to model, with "proper" maths and everything, the spread of a flu-like virus - volunteers installed an App on their phones that could be accessed by a "PIN number"! Arrghhh!

That’s nothing conpared to those who refer to the GPS “system”. They are among the worst criminals in our society.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#28  Postby i have no avatar » Mar 29, 2018 2:13 am

The_Piper wrote:
What year was that? At least Texas fans got to watch Pay-Rod for a while. :evilgrin:

2011, seems like yesterday.

And yes, we got to see A-Roid, while he was still a shortstop. And MVP, on a last place team. :lol:
but i do have a signature
i have no avatar

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby The_Piper » Mar 29, 2018 5:08 am

i have no avatar wrote:
The_Piper wrote:

2011, seems like yesterday.

And yes, we got to see A-Roid, while he was still a shortstop. And MVP, on a last place team. :lol:

That's a running debate, whether a team's performance matters as to the value of individual players. I think he deserved it. Except for the steroids of course, but use was said to be so rampant that it's impossible to know who was clean. I see he got cheated out of it in 2002. Tejada was a SS too, but I doubt he was so much better at defense to outweigh that gulf between hitting talent. I wonder what the deal was there.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/awards_2002.shtml
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby i have no avatar » Mar 30, 2018 12:32 am

Yeah, he probably deserved it (also in 2002 as you point out). I'm not even sure where I stand in the team record debate. Probably because of the word 'Valuable' as opposed to "Outstanding', I tend to think playing on a last place team should count against you, but I'm not sure if that is really the meaning or intent.

Also:

OPENING DAY, 2018!
Rangers lost to the DisAstros. :( (the Dis part - not so much these days, and probably not for the next 2-3 years).
but i do have a signature
i have no avatar

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby The_Piper » Mar 30, 2018 2:17 am

Happy opening day! :party: I think I'm more in the "team record is irrelevant" for the MVP award. Though I understand it's a gray area.
The Red Sox lost a bizarre one today. Leading 4-0 all game with Sale shutting down the ghost of the Devil Rays, then Boston's relievers walked four batters and choked up a 6-4 deficit, while Craig Kimbrel, one of the best relief pitchers in basbeall, sat on the bench eating sunflower seeds.
I was loving the Astros last year, except when they ran over the Red Sox. :nono: :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby newolder » Mar 30, 2018 6:22 pm

Mariners v Indians live at Safeco field on Opening Day. What/who should I be looking out for? Is Safeco a company who makes safes? (ESPN/BTSport-coverage here in UK).

Cruz gets a 2-run homer in the (bottom of the) first inning with his first at bat and first pitch! Go Mariners! :popcorn:

This isn't live though, is it?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#33  Postby The_Piper » Mar 30, 2018 9:15 pm

newolder wrote:Mariners v Indians live at Safeco field on Opening Day. What/who should I be looking out for? Is Safeco a company who makes safes? (ESPN/BTSport-coverage here in UK).

Cruz gets a 2-run homer in the (bottom of the) first inning with his first at bat and first pitch! Go Mariners! :popcorn:

This isn't live though, is it?

I'm probably too late to be of any help, but that was a rerun of yesterday's game. That was the first time that someone homered on the very first pitch of the season since 1986, when Red Sox Dwight "Dewey" Evans did it. I was watching that game as a youngin. :) Some interesting Mariners are Gordon, Segura, Seager, and, the 44 year old corpse of Ichiro Suzuki. He had a number of years in Japan's NPB, and has been playing in the US for 17 years. He'll be elected to the baseball hall of fame if/when he retires.
Cleveland is managed by Terry "Tito" Francona, the guy who managed the Red Sox to what was their first world series victory in 86 years back in '04, and again in '07. He's universally beloved around baseball. They have 24 year old Lindor the SS, who's really good.
Here's a link to MLB's schedule.
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/index.jsp#date=03/30/2018
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby newolder » Mar 30, 2018 9:19 pm

Thanks! I watched until just after Suzuki made an appearance and then rejoined for the 9th. 2-1 final. I don't think I'll choose either of those as "my team" but I'll have to watch a few more games before a decision is made...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#35  Postby The_Piper » Mar 30, 2018 9:52 pm

That's cool that you're planning to follow baseball some. I should watch a few cricket games myself. I did watch a little bit last year, but only for minutes at a time. I still don't understand the object of the game. :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby newolder » Mar 30, 2018 10:01 pm

I don't know if this bbc link will work across the pond but it's a 28 minute radio programme "When Yorkshire played New York."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08y198z
If Geoff. Boycott can't explain the object of the game then it's no use me trying. :lol:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#37  Postby The_Piper » Mar 31, 2018 12:45 am

Cool, it works here. I'll check that out tomorrow. :cheers:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Thommo » Mar 31, 2018 3:12 am

The_Piper wrote:That's cool that you're planning to follow baseball some. I should watch a few cricket games myself. I did watch a little bit last year, but only for minutes at a time. I still don't understand the object of the game. :lol:

I think Fallible once provided the following answer:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/page/429550.html
Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!
Thommo

Print view this post

#39  Postby newolder » Mar 31, 2018 8:12 am

The_Piper wrote:Cool, it works here. I'll check that out tomorrow. :cheers:

There's no real explanation given in that piece - just a bit of history and context, I fear. An interesting listen, nonetheless.

The object of test cricket is the same as baseball - score more runs than the opposing team but in just two innings for each team. A team, is 11 players. A batsman (batter) can be out in many (7, iirc) ways including caught. A bonus for 'hitting it out of the park' of 6 runs is applied. A foul ball gives, in part, an extra run to the batting team. Simple similarities end there, I think, but there may be others. :dunno: There are many versions of cricket played with just one innings per side and generally known as 1-day cricket - the 20-20 format is designed for television audiences and the Indian Premier League leads the way there.

A more detailed exposition and definition of terms takes longer than most people's will to live (see also post #38 above, :lol: ).
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#40  Postby Briton » Mar 31, 2018 8:23 am

The only American sport I'd watch. They should bill it as 'Rounders' so everybody would know what the game is. ;)
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion