Peanut Gallery - Formal Debate

Gay Marriage Should NOT Be Legalised in Society

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Who won the debate between Lion IRC & Crocodile Gandhi ?

Lion IRC won the debate, but I still disagree with his viewpoint
1%
Lion IRC won the debate and I continue to agree with his viewpoint
2%
Lion IRC won the debate and convinced me to alter my viewpoint on the issue
1%
Croc Gandhi won the debate, but I still disagree with his viewpoint
2%
Croc Gandhi won the debate and I continue to agree with his viewpoint
92%
Croc Gandhi won the debate and convinced me to alter my viewpoint on the issue
No votes
I cannot decide who won the debate
2%

Total votes : 98

Re: Peanut Gallery - Formal Debate

#341  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 26, 2012 11:27 am

CookieJon wrote:Here's a PM I got from Lion IRC in which he...

1. says, contrary to his debate argument, that he believes people are "born gay"... only because he can square it with scripture (not because of what anyone with any experience tells him, mind!), and...

2. articulates his sordid little fascistic desire to force everyone to live by his interpretation of his religion's scripture (informed by a voice answering questions in his head which he believes is that of a deity, no less!)

Lion IRC wrote:Hi CookieJon,

Scripture affords me the understanding that some people are born gay - made that way by God.

It does not however afford me - as far as I can prayerfully discern - the ability to see gay marriage as something God approves of. I'm sorry we dont agree on that. Maybe thats because I dont as yet understand His Word as well as I ought to and for that reason I wont ever stop asking Him.

Peace be with you.

Lion (IRC)

Puke. I don't have the words to express how revolting, self-centered, short-sighted and egotistical that is!

Let's read this bit again...
Maybe thats because I dont as yet understand His Word as well as I ought to and for that reason I wont ever stop asking Him.

To imagine you have a mandate to interfere in others' lives while you're waiting for clarification from the creator of the universe!! Such hubris!! Disgusting. Disgusting. Disgusting.

What's more disgusting nad that counts for other theistic bigots as well, is that they hide behind their god and/or holy book to justify their bigotry.
Like they themselves don't really hate gay people, it's just that god tells them to. :yuk:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#342  Postby CookieJon » Apr 26, 2012 11:37 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:What's more disgusting nad that counts for other theistic bigots as well, is that they hide behind their god and/or holy book to justify their bigotry.
Like they themselves don't really hate gay people, it's just that god tells them to. :yuk:

I think a lot of "prayerful" Christians really do believe their own thoughts actually are God's voice answering their prayers.

Do they consciously know they're "hiding" behind their religion to justify their own bigotry? Who can say what goes on inside the murky depths of the believer's mind!

I mean, even the idea of just wanting the world to work in the absurdly puerile way it's all explained in the Bible (let alone believing it does) is completely alien to me.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#343  Postby Shrunk » Apr 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote: What's more disgusting nad that counts for other theistic bigots as well, is that they hide behind their god and/or holy book to justify their bigotry.

Of course, they will usually say they don't hate gay people. They just hate the "sinful" act of homosexuality.

Which is like saying "I don't hate black people. I just hate dark skin."
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#344  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 26, 2012 1:01 pm

CookieJon wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:What's more disgusting nad that counts for other theistic bigots as well, is that they hide behind their god and/or holy book to justify their bigotry.

I think a lot of "prayerful" Christians really do believe their own thoughts actually are God's voice answering their prayers.

Do they consciously know they're "hiding" behind their religion to justify their own bigotry? Who can say what goes on inside the murky depths of the believer's mind!

I mean, even the idea of just wanting the world to work in the absurdly puerile way it's all explained in the Bible (let alone believing it does) is completely alien to me.

Oh believe my I know there are people who actually believe it is god's will, but there are also people who are perfectly aware they're just using the bible to hide their own bigotry.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#345  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 26, 2012 1:04 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote: What's more disgusting nad that counts for other theistic bigots as well, is that they hide behind their god and/or holy book to justify their bigotry.

Of course, they will usually say they don't hate gay people. They just hate the "sinful" act of homosexuality.

We've had a member of a Christian party in parliament say the following, which has become quite the catch-phrase for homophobes here in the Netherlands:
"I have nothing against homosexuals, as long as they don't practice their homosexuality."

To which a Dutch comedian later responded with:
"I have nothing against Christians, as long as they don't practice their Christianity."
:lol:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#346  Postby trubble76 » Apr 26, 2012 1:10 pm

I just read the debate posts (but not all of this thread) and I just wanted to express my disappointment with the argument for the affirmative. I am disappointed in both the style and the substance. I was hoping for valid, well-presented and well thought out arguments (even if I didn't personally agree with them) but instead we got a largely irrelevant mess.
I think the competitor arguing in the negative did a fairly good job, although I would have preferred less personalisation of the debate.

All in all, whatever my personal opinion before the debate began, the argument for the negative has been far better, in my opinion.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#347  Postby Thommo » Apr 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Shrunk wrote:

I'm not sure it is quite like that as an analogy.

I expect many people have particular features including skintone that they find more or less aesthetically appealing. I don't think the fact that a person likes brown skin more than pale pink skin (say) means they like brown skinned people more than pale pink skinned people at all.
Thommo

Print view this post

#348  Postby Nicko » Apr 26, 2012 2:38 pm

Perhaps a better analogy would be, "I'm not a racist, I just don't like miscegenation."

Speaking of which, I wonder how Tyrannical is getting on?
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#349  Postby Shrunk » Apr 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Thommo wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

I'm not sure it is quite like that as an analogy.

I expect many people have particular features including skintone that they find more or less aesthetically appealing. I don't think the fact that a person likes brown skin more than pale pink skin (say) means they like brown skinned people more than pale pink skinned people at all.

Fair enough. The analogy fails because dark skin is not the single defining trait of a black person. So a better analogy might be "I don't hate black people. I just hate their existing as black people. If black people would just be white people, I'd have no problem."
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#350  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 27, 2012 5:46 am

The things you miss out on when you are away for a few weeks!

It's really good to see Lion putting all his dross in one big pile just to make it absolutely clear to anyone reading that even piled together, it's still just a big pile of irrelevant bollocks motivated solely by emotional preference rather than by logical reasoning.

Having tried my best to find a non-fallacious argument presented by Lion in the debate, I am forced to admit my utter failure in this regard. Given the amount of time and devotion Lion has dedicated over the years pretending maintaining that he has perfectly solid reasons for his position... I am at a loss as to why he's yet to post any.

The chess metaphor was excellent though - very pigeonlike.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#351  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 27, 2012 6:38 am

Spearthrower wrote:
The chess metaphor was excellent though - very pigeonlike.

I see what you did there :naughty2:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#352  Postby Lion IRC » Apr 27, 2012 10:49 am

Next post just submitted.
FORMAL DEBATE - Lion IRC (affirmative) vs Crocodile Gandhi (negative)
Topic - Gay marriage should not be legalised in society.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#353  Postby CookieJon » Apr 27, 2012 10:50 am

I've lost interest, tbh. It'll just me more crap I'm sure.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#354  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 27, 2012 10:53 am

Nvm, incorrect post.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#355  Postby Durro » Apr 27, 2012 11:04 am

Lion's latest effort is now available for review.
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#356  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 27, 2012 11:06 am

Great the first paragraph is one big, thinly concealed ad-hominem...
Next come several example of Lion either not understanding the fallacies he's claiming or accurately reading Croc's points.

Hilarious how incredibly blind he is to his own fallacies:
Lion IRC wrote:
One of the biggest problems that I find with those who argue against gay marriage is that their arguments are often irrelevant with respect to marriage.

My arguments go to the core of the debate topic.

* What does gay mean? Why allow that and not other types of marriage if equality matters?

* Matrimonial law. Reinvention of the wheel?

* The law – discrimination.

* Society – procreation/children/stability/religious culture.

Then there's tripe like this:
Lion IRC wrote:
I don't believe that any… This is because I believe that…I'm pretty darn sure that… While I personally do not believe… I believe that through his arguments … As I have stated throughout this debate, I do not believe there is… This is, I believe, sufficient for…

I don’t use the word “believe” in any of my arguments. Count how many times my opponent uses that word. … .
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#357  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 27, 2012 11:23 am

Also love that he quotes the Family research council of all possible sources on statistics concerning gay relationships. :facepalm:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#358  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 27, 2012 11:25 am

I don't even have the masochism in me to address the rest of Lion's utter fail of an attack on both Croc and RatSkep in general.
It's to pathetic for words. :yuk:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#359  Postby Shrunk » Apr 27, 2012 11:36 am

Don't get too excited by the sciency-looking article Lion cites, all with pretty bar graphs and everything. The source is some quackery on the Family Research Council website. And the statistics cited are largely based on an online "census" by a gay advocacy organization (whose website can no longer be located, it seems). Sampling bias much?

Lion also seems to have overlooked one of the logical consequences of his argument. After citing a series of bogus statistics that purport to show higher levels of domestic violence in homosexual couples, he then shows this:

Hmmm... :ask:
Last edited by Shrunk on Apr 27, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#360  Postby Lizard_King » Apr 27, 2012 11:42 am

The terrible and almost unreadable formatting aside, I think we can add circular reasoning to the list of terms Lion doesn't understand, right next to bigotry. Not that this stops him from using these terms...

But I do have a favorite non-argument in this post:

Bible skeptics fiercely challenge the biblical use of the word “bat” in the same category as “birds”

Bird? Bat? Fairy?

Bird? Bat? Fairy? The correct answer would be "fake". And I have absolutely no idea how this is in any way relevant to anything being discussed here... :scratch:
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion