Pretentious

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Pretentious

#1  Postby Macdoc » Oct 09, 2017 11:21 pm

What have YOU done.....you might have some second thoughts about....

I was just listening to Joplins....O Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Bez ......
and thought to myself ....yeah ....I really did not need to buy a Benz....but....it had its moments :smoke:

Then the out and back over the Atlantic in a Concorde was a particularly Yuppie birthday present from my wife at the time ....I wince at the carbon footprint that had....but damn it was cool to see the faint curve of the earth and the speedo reading 2200 kph

The acceleration on take was insane for something that big ....and seeing the low pressure fog on rotation was too neat
Nearest thing to a Blackbird I'll ever be in....

http://www.travelscholar.com/concorde/page03.html

Tales of pretention??? :popcorn:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Pretentious

#2  Postby The_Piper » Oct 10, 2017 12:18 am

I'm not very pretentious, I can't afford it. And I couldn't care less about anyone's Mercedes Benz, but I love the song. :mrgreen:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Fallible » Oct 10, 2017 5:54 am

You sure you're not just bragging? I'm guessing most of us have never been in the position to buy a Merc or fly on Concorde or do anything so expensively frivolous. I bought two almost identical skirts once, does that count?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby zulumoose » Oct 10, 2017 6:00 am

Allowed my daughter to start horse-riding lessons.
My bank account has never been the same since. It has turned out to be by far the most extravagant thing I have done.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mike_L » Oct 10, 2017 7:20 am

Fallible wrote:I bought two almost identical skirts once, does that count?

Hussy! :coffee:

Macdoc wrote:Tales of pretention??? :popcorn:

Back in '03, I won a raffle held at a real estate agency where I did only part-time work (on their website). The winning ticket got me a weekend at an upmarket country lodge. I kind of felt 'out of place' in an ornate lodge replete with such with fancy trappings as its own mini-library, containing first-edition books with age-yellowed pages.
And I got too much attention for my liking. I'd wander over to a coffee table and sift through the pile of fancy-house glossy magazines in the vain hope of finding a stray Hustler... and if I sat down someone would come over and offer me a cigar or sherry or something.
The meals were great, though. Probably gained 2kg in two days.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby BlackBart » Oct 10, 2017 9:34 am

I live in Penge. A clean pair of trackie-bottoms is pretentious. :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mike_L » Oct 10, 2017 9:58 am

Your pantaloon profligacy disgusts me. :nono:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby Thommo » Oct 10, 2017 10:37 am

I like to get the candelabra out and have the butler play some Wagner when I eat my beans on toast.

Does that count? :ask:
Thommo

Print view this post

#9  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 10, 2017 10:41 am

Macdoc wrote:What have YOU done.....you might have some second thoughts about....

I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die...
When I hear that lonesome whistle, I hang my head and cry.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#10  Postby LucidFlight » Oct 10, 2017 10:52 am

I often drive the Gallardo down to the shop's to buy croissants in the morning .....sure it only does 19 mile's to the gallon..... but the look on peoples faces as I do a ....... burnout is priceless..... well worth it........hahahaha
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Thommo » Oct 10, 2017 11:21 am

I like to shop at the farmer's market.

Thommo

Print view this post

#12  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Pretentiousness is hard to define for it is so subjective but I dont think flying in Concorde or owning a Merc qualifies
You can buy a new one for under 300 quid a month which is not extravagant by any stretch of the imagination. I also
think it is as much a state of mind as a measure of wealth. For it is about class and status and maintaining standards

I watched a documentary two days ago where somebody bought a Basquiat for I00 millon dollars
I see no artistic merit in his work whatsoever so to me that was just a complete waste of money
Not pretentiousness but an indication that whoever bought it has absolutely no taste in art at all

I know I00 million is not a lot of money but there are far better things it could have been spent on
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#13  Postby I'm With Stupid » Oct 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Thommo wrote:I like to shop at the farmer's market.

I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Fallible » Oct 10, 2017 1:30 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Pretentiousness is hard to define for it is so subjective but I dont think flying in Concorde or owning a Merc qualifies
You can buy a new one for under 300 quid a month which is not extravagant by any stretch of the imagination. I also
think it is as much a state of mind as a measure of wealth. For it is about class and status and maintaining standards

I watched a documentary two days ago where somebody bought a Basquiat for I00 millon dollars
I see no artistic merit in his work whatsoever so to me that was just a complete waste of money
Not pretentiousness but an indication that whoever bought it has absolutely no taste in art at all

I know I00 million is not a lot of money but there are far better things it could have been spent on

300 quid a month for a car is not extravagant by any stretch of the imagination? I beg to differ.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Thommo » Oct 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Fallible wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:Pretentiousness is hard to define for it is so subjective but I dont think flying in Concorde or owning a Merc qualifies

300 quid a month for a car is not extravagant by any stretch of the imagination? I beg to differ.

I was more surprised that 100 million isn't a lot of money.

You learn something new every day.
Thommo

Print view this post

#16  Postby Thommo » Oct 10, 2017 1:50 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:

Hadn't seen that before, it's funny. I am left with a craving for gooseberry and cinnamon yoghurt though.
Thommo

Print view this post

#17  Postby Macdoc » Oct 10, 2017 2:16 pm

like to get the candelabra out and have the butler play some Wagner when I eat my beans on toast.

Does that count? :ask:

No ....must be smashed avocado to count. Beans...how pleb :whistle:

I couldn't afford a new Merc either but the price was right for the company and it :roll: needed a car, the Merc was pretentious...

and the Concorde was a present - at the time it was $850 for the three hour jaunt over the Atlantic with all you could drink. I suspect there's not a few here wouldn't jump at that ...DINKs often had / have income far in excess of their basic requirements....

One thing that did strike us....and one member mentioned it in th Scotland trip thread ...said public employee/travel/frozne wages .....

Well got me checking out median family incomes in UK versus Canada and Australia and I was shocked....

$32k sterling $52k cdn

Canada was $88,000 cdn
and the US 60,000 US. >$75 k cdn
and Australia also about $75k Cdn .. ( the two currencies are near par often enough )

You blokes in UK make your $ go a long way....

Pretentious can cover anything from the wine you serve to the size of the snowblower to your car choice or where you live ...anything that is meant to "show off" or is one-up man ship....

So yes Fallible it is "showing off" - that's the nature of ostentation and I'm pretty sure we've all done in ways, small or large. Regrettable in hind sight for a variety of reasons in the two cases I mentioned ..the 80s here thrived on conspicuous consumption and at the time we had enough income to participate in a few ways......

Travel tho is very much a norm for Canadians and Australians and what might seem extravagant is the norm ...flying to Copenhagen via Iceland Air is about $680 return.....and both country citizens fly frequently ( me mainly on points ).

But Jude and I are frugal in other ways...splitting meals etc.....we WILL spend on adventure ...that is a primary aspect of our long distance relationship - so we are being selective on spending to reach goals.
Jude has to fly what I call Princess Class ( business ) because of her back but she happily ( most times ) took the tube.
That's a decision she makes and it hurts financially for both as I tend to pick up an offsetting amount in shared costs.

One person's pretention may be another's norm ......serving an Australian wine in Europe might be pretentious but not in Australia......and of course there are the superb Canadian vintages that are oneupmanship writ large anywhere :whistle: :coffee:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby zulumoose » Oct 10, 2017 2:26 pm

That median family income in the countries mentioned is almost a million Rand, I know electricians who earn about 1/6 that level.
Personally I earn well under half that, even including my wifes income, yet we both bought new cars and live in a 4 bedroom double garage house with swimming pool. Radically different income requirement in different countries.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Macdoc » Oct 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Yes - one reason The Cape is good retirement for some ...first world pensions go a lot further.
One can afford to be pretentious by home country standards ;-)

Oysters on the bay front in Hermanus watching the whales play ....how delightful :whistle: :roll:

yet we both bought new cars and live in a 4 bedroom double garage house with swimming pool.

The average house price in Canada?? You need to be in the top 5% of income earners to qualify for the mortgage.
Cars are pretty cheap ....shelter is awful and I think worse in the UK.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby I'm With Stupid » Oct 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Fallible wrote:

I'd also question whether you can buy a new one for £300 a month. You can get someone else to buy you a new one for £300 a month.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Discussion