R.I.P. THREAD

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: R.I.P. THREAD

#3041  Postby DougC » Sep 12, 2023 12:31 pm

Sir Ian Wilmut, OBE FRS FMedSci FRSE
(7 July 1944 – 10 September 2023)
British embryologist and Chair of the Scottish Centre for Regenerative Medicine at the University of Edinburgh. He is best known as the leader of the research group that in 1996 first cloned a mammal from an adult somatic cell, a Finnish Dorset lamb named Dolly. He was appointed OBE in 1999 for services to embryo development and knighted in the 2008 New Year Honours. He together with Keith Campbell and Shinya Yamanaka jointly received the 2008 Shaw Prize for Medicine and Life Sciences for their work on cell differentiation in mammals.

Wiki

B.B.C.
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3042  Postby DougC » Sep 28, 2023 11:23 am

David Keith McCallum
(19 September 1933 – 25 September 2023)
Scottish actor and musician. He gained wide recognition in the 1960s for playing secret agent Illya Kuryakin in the television series The Man from U.N.C.L.E. His other notable television roles include Simon Carter in Colditz (1972–1974) and Steel in Sapphire & Steel (1979–1982). Beginning in 2003, McCallum gained renewed international popularity for his role as NCIS medical examiner Dr. Donald "Ducky" Mallard in the American television series NCIS, which he played for 20 seasons until his death. On film, McCallum notably appeared in The Great Escape

B.B.C.

Wiki
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3043  Postby DougC » Sep 28, 2023 7:00 pm

Sir Michael John Gambon CBE
(19 October 1940 – 27 September 2023)
Irish-English actor. Gambon started his acting career with Laurence Olivier as one of the original members of the Royal National Theatre. Over his six-decade-long career, he received three Olivier Awards, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and four BAFTA Awards. In 1998, he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II for services to drama.

B.B.C.

Wiki
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3044  Postby The Serpent » Sep 30, 2023 4:21 am

I considered posting this in good riddance but I think she might be given the benefit of the doubt.

Vale Dianne Feinstein
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Name: Taj Cassidy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3045  Postby DougC » Oct 14, 2023 9:18 am

Louise Elisabeth Glück
(April 22, 1943 – October 13, 2023)
American poet and essayist. She won the 2020 Nobel Prize in Literature, whose judges praised "her unmistakable poetic voice that with austere beauty makes individual existence universal". Her other awards include the Pulitzer Prize, National Humanities Medal, National Book Award, National Book Critics Circle Award, and Bollingen Prize. From 2003 to 2004, she was Poet Laureate of the United States.

B.B.C.

WiKi
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3046  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 16, 2023 3:56 pm

One that we all missed ... Eugenio Calabi,who died on September 25th, 2023, aged 100 years.

Calabi was responsible for the formulation of what later came to be known as Calabi-Yau manifolds (in collaboration with Shing-Tung Yau), which found unusual application in string theory and advanced cosmological physics - much, it has to be said, to Calabi's initial surprise, who initially considered work on these objects to be an exercise in pure differential geometry.

Calabi's work encompassed many problems in differential geometry and the theory of differential manifolds, and some of his work would later find application in solving some difficult problems in Lorentzian geometry, advancing geometric understanding of general relativity in the process.

We've lost a genuine intellectual giant.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3047  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 21, 2023 6:18 pm

Haydn Gwynne, actress best known for her role in the satirical comedy Drop The Dead Donkey, has lost her battle with cancer aged 66.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3048  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 21, 2023 6:23 pm

BREAKING NEWS: Sir Bobby Charlton, England World Cup and Manchester United footballer, has died at the age of 86.

Regarded as a footballing legend, Charlton's tywlight years were sadly dimmed by neurodegenerative disease. He is reported to have died peacefully in his sleep.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3049  Postby DougC » Oct 29, 2023 6:41 pm

Matthew Langford Perry
(August 19, 1969 – October 28, 2023)
American and Canadian actor. He starred as Chandler Bing on the NBC television sitcom Friends from 1994 to 2004. Perry also appeared on Ally McBeal (2002) and received Primetime Emmy Award nominations for his roles in The West Wing (2003) and The Ron Clark Story (2006). He gained a leading role in the NBC series Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip which aired from 2006 to 2007. Perry also became known for his leading film roles in Fools Rush In (1997), Almost Heroes (1998), Three to Tango (1999), The Whole Nine Yards (2000), Serving Sara (2002), The Whole Ten Yards (2005), and 17 Again (2009). He voiced Benny in the video game Fallout: New Vegas (2010).

Wiki

B.B.C.
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3050  Postby DougC » Nov 03, 2023 10:44 pm

Thomas Kenneth Mattingly II
(March 17, 1936 – October 31, 2023)
American aviator, aeronautical engineer, test pilot, rear admiral in the United States Navy and astronaut who flew on the Apollo 16, and Space Shuttle STS-4 and STS-51-C missions
Mattingly was scheduled to fly on the Apollo 13 mission, but three days prior to launch, he was replaced by Jack Swigert due to exposure to German measles (which Mattingly did not contract). Mattingly later flew as Command Module Pilot for Apollo 16 and made 64 lunar orbits, making him one of 24 people to fly to the Moon. Mattingly and his commander from Apollo 16, John Young, are the only people to have flown to the Moon and also a Space Shuttle mission (Fred Haise, his former training crewmate from Apollo 13, did atmospheric flight testing of the Space Shuttle Approach and Landing Tests).

Wiki
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3051  Postby DougC » Nov 12, 2023 2:03 am

Frank Frederick Borman II
(March 14, 1928 – November 7, 2023)
American United States Air Force (USAF) colonel, aeronautical engineer, NASA astronaut, test pilot, and businessman. He was the commander of Apollo 8, the first mission to fly around the Moon, and together with crewmates Jim Lovell and William Anders, became the first of 24 humans to do so, for which he was awarded the Congressional Space Medal of Honor.

Wiki
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3052  Postby DougC » Nov 30, 2023 10:55 am

Henry Alfred Kissinger
(born Heinz Alfred Kissinger, May 27, 1923 – November 29, 2023)
German-born American diplomat, political scientist, geopolitical consultant, and politician who served as United States secretary of state and national security advisor under the presidential administrations of Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford.Kissinger was a Jewish refugee who fled Nazi Germany with his family in 1938. In the United States, he excelled academically and graduated summa cum laude from Harvard College in 1950, where he studied under William Yandell Elliott. He earned his Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy at Harvard University in 1951 and 1954, respectively.Kissinger played a prominent role in United States foreign policy between 1969 and 1977, pioneering the policy of détente with the Soviet Union, orchestrating an opening of relations with the People's Republic of China, engaging in what became known as shuttle diplomacy in the Middle East to end the Yom Kippur War, and negotiating the Paris Peace Accords, which ended American involvement in the Vietnam War. After leaving government, he formed Kissinger Associates, an international geopolitical consulting firm. Kissinger wrote over a dozen books on diplomatic history and international relations.

Wiki

B.B.C.

James Alexander Douglas-Hamilton, Baron Selkirk of Douglas, PC, KC
(31 July 1942 – 28 November 2023)
Scottish Conservative Party politician who served as Member of Parliament for Edinburgh West and then as a Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP) for the Lothians region. Between 1997 and 2023 he was a member of the House of Lords as a life peer.

Wiki

B.B.C.
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3053  Postby Calilasseia » Nov 30, 2023 6:10 pm

Shane MacGowan, frontman for Irish band The Pogues for over 30 years, has died age 65. He was admitted to hospital with encephalitis, which appears at first to be the cause of death, though updates on this are expected.

His issues in the past with drugs and alcohol were of course well documented, but unexpectedly, these appear not to be implicated in recent health issues.

He is, of course, best remembered for his collaboration with Kirsty McColl on the song Fairytale of New York , which has become a sort of anti-Christmas staple. :)
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3054  Postby THWOTH » Nov 30, 2023 7:25 pm

In 2013 MacGowan's liver was given a lifetime achievement award.

"Bury me at sea, where no murdered ghost can haunt me. If I rock upon the waves, no corpse shall lie upon me." Shane MacGowan, If I Should Fall from Grace with God
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3055  Postby Animavore » Nov 30, 2023 11:20 pm

3 Irish music legends in 6 months.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3056  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 09, 2023 4:37 pm

Ryan O'Neal, who starred in Love Story with Ali McGraw, and Paper Moon alongside his daughter Tatum, has died aged 82.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3057  Postby DougC » Dec 12, 2023 9:47 pm

Viktor Ivanovich Belenko
(February 15, 1947 – September 24, 2023)
Russian-born American aerospace engineer and Soviet pilot who defected in 1976 to the West while flying his MiG-25 jet interceptor (NATO reporting name: "Foxbat") and landed in Hakodate, Japan. George H. W. Bush, the Director of Central Intelligence at the time, called the opportunity to examine the plane up close an "intelligence bonanza" for the West. Belenko later became a U.S. aerospace engineer.

Wiki
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3058  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 18, 2023 11:30 pm

Fusa Tatsumi, 25th April 1907-12th December 2023, was, prior to her recent death, the oldest living person in Japan. She attained the remarkable age of 116. She and Maria Branyas were the last two people living to great age that were verified to have been born in 1907.

Maria Branyas, at 116 years and 289 days, remains for the time being the world's oldest living person.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3059  Postby THWOTH » Dec 19, 2023 12:52 am

Maria's got another 10 years in her yet.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3060  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 06, 2024 11:40 pm

Niklaus Wirth, pioneering computer scientist who devised the Pascal programming language, has died at the age of 89.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion