Repeal the 8th.

Amendment pertaining to abortion.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Repeal the 8th.

#421  Postby Fallible » May 27, 2018 8:58 am

It's just ridiculous to claim that identifying as Catholic means you would struggle with shit like this. I've lost count of how many Catholics I know who have no issue with sex before marriage, abortion, homosexuality - any number of issues that the church is against. So many people tick the CofE box on a form and are no more Christian than my left tit.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#422  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 27, 2018 9:18 am

Fallible wrote:It's just ridiculous to claim that identifying as Catholic means you would struggle with shit like this. I've lost count of how many Catholics I know who have no issue with sex before marriage, abortion, homosexuality - any number of issues that the church is against. So many people tick the CofE box on a form and are no more Christian than my left tit.

Exactly what I mean Fall. They identify their background. Even my wife who hates the church and what it did to her generation still identifies as catholic because that is her background.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#423  Postby Alan B » May 27, 2018 9:58 am

Mail On Line
Senior Tory women demand Theresa May ignore the opposition of her DUP allies and call a free vote on changing abortion laws in Northern Ireland

Senior Tory women have demanded Theresa May act to change the law on abortion in Northern Ireland after the landslide referendum in the Republic.

Following Friday's historic vote, Northern Ireland is set to be the last remaining place in the western world where abortion is effectively outlawed.

Equalities Minister Penny Mordaunt is leading calls inside Government for a free vote in Westminster to change the law in Northern Ireland. She is backed by her predecessors in the post.

The Prime Minister is reluctant to force through change for fear of antagonising the DUP, the socially conservative Northern Ireland party propping up her government.
My italics.
So, May is withholding abortion rights in NI in order to stay in power. If she is forced to bring NI up to date with the rest of the UK and Eire and the DUP withdraws their support - can we have our money back, please?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#424  Postby Animavore » May 27, 2018 10:18 am

There were tons of women out in Dublin last night.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#425  Postby felltoearth » May 27, 2018 2:12 pm

jamest wrote:

... This probably means that religiosity in Ireland is declining rapidly,

Or it could mean that secularism is rising rapidly. One can still be religious and secular. What don’t you get about that?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#426  Postby felltoearth » May 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Fallible wrote:It's just ridiculous to claim that identifying as Catholic means you would struggle with shit like this. I've lost count of how many Catholics I know who have no issue with sex before marriage, abortion, homosexuality - any number of issues that the church is against. So many people tick the CofE box on a form and are no more Christian than my left tit.

How Christian is your right tit?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#427  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 27, 2018 2:24 pm

Even the church has realised it has no influence anymore.

Irish archbishops say abortion vote shows church's influence in Ireland is marginal

Church is seen by many as lacking compassion, archbishop of Dublin to tell congregation as pope remains silent on result

There were now three broad groupings in Ireland, he said. One was a deeply committed minority of churchgoers, “a remnant”. Secondly,there was a large group of people who were “nominally or culturally Catholic but who have drifted away from regular practice”. Finally, there were those who had “quite consciously” rejected the church and were hostile to its teaching.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#428  Postby felltoearth » May 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Even the church has realised it has no influence anymore.

Irish archbishops say abortion vote shows church's influence in Ireland is marginal

Church is seen by many as lacking compassion, archbishop of Dublin to tell congregation as pope remains silent on result

There were now three broad groupings in Ireland, he said. One was a deeply committed minority of churchgoers, “a remnant”. Secondly,there was a large group of people who were “nominally or culturally Catholic but who have drifted away from regular practice”. Finally, there were those who had “quite consciously” rejected the church and were hostile to its teaching.

As long as the church believes that theocracy is the best outcome for humanity, it will find itself becoming more and more marginalized.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#429  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Their last foothold in Ireland is education and health.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#430  Postby zulumoose » May 27, 2018 5:10 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Even the church has realised it has no influence anymore.

Did anyone else notice that those who were never Catholic don't even exist in Ireland as per the wording above, nor does the other country in Ireland, apparently.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#431  Postby Shrunk » May 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Animavore wrote:There were tons of women out in Dublin last night.

And were they being all promiscuous and depraved now that they no longer have to take responsibility for their carnal desires, as the "No" side warned? :)
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#432  Postby Fallible » May 28, 2018 3:14 pm

felltoearth wrote:

How Christian is your right tit?

Not. Sorry, I should have made that clear.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#433  Postby BlackBart » May 28, 2018 4:50 pm

I know lots of Christians who are right tits. :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#434  Postby Fallible » May 28, 2018 6:00 pm

:awesome:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#435  Postby felltoearth » May 30, 2018 12:35 am

BlackBart wrote:I know lots of Christians who are right tits. :coffee: