The coffee making thread

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The coffee making thread

#221  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 11, 2017 3:39 pm

Sometimes you get in a hurry.

Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The coffee making thread

#222  Postby Macdoc » Nov 11, 2017 3:50 pm

hehe...I can relate

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#223  Postby The_Piper » Nov 11, 2017 11:54 pm

:rofl:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#224  Postby The_Piper » Nov 11, 2017 11:57 pm

Macdoc wrote:Depends on the need for caffeine ....a I have been known to succumb to motel room instant just for a headache curing hit :yuk:
Finding decent espresso in rural US is often impossible when out riding but at least where there is a Sheetz there is hope. :D
It's morning time for ...:coffee:

I've seen Sheetz, where are they, PA and stuff? I get gas station coffee on the road. DD, Starbucks, and Tim Horton's are way too strong. :yuk: I have to put like 4 sweet and lows and 5 creams in those.
ETA I also have a small 12v heated pitcher and a pour over thing to make my own. Good for the woods and stuff.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#225  Postby Macdoc » Nov 12, 2017 1:55 am

Yeah PA and a bit south.Odd place for decent coffee but they all have big machines and often single origin choice.
Starbucks is consistent. Tim Horton's is robusta so you are getting maybe 600 mg of caf a cup where a good Arabica shot is 140 mg so three or four a day not a bother. I've found lately I like a smaller cup for use with the Breville.

My housemate has one I have appropriated about this size,

Picked up having flat white in Aus and that style has spread ...not so foamy as a latté. Small flat white will do me fine ...double shots too buzzy tho partner just inhales a large and the hotter the better ... Couple years back we were delighted to get a flat white in Yosemite - turned out the proprietary was a voluntary Kiwi runaway and imported the style. Upper end chef running a burger joint she opened to pay her way around America for a couple years. Food was excellent.

We've noticed some areas in the US - cafe's don't have espresso machines but there will be a drive by "cart" parked in a busy lot.
This was at a busy highway junction in Alaska
and we were glad we stopped as we took her recommendation to go to Valdez and go out on the Lulubelle which turned out to be the highlight of our trip
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipN ... 2WgUSq2tI5
Good latte and a reindeer sausage. :D

I was bit shocked by McDs this summer on the way to Ohio on the motorcycle- just wanted a half cup of coffee, 4 milk 1 sugar as anti-headache....burned my mouth so asked for more milk and got handed creamer ......I asked ...."No we don't use milk any more, sorry honey" :what: :yuk: FFS ..threw it out and chased down a Starbucks.
I do like Tim Horton's steeped tea tho.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#226  Postby The_Piper » Nov 12, 2017 2:19 am

I had a McDonald's coffee in Brewer, Maine recently. It was horrible. I don't drink hot coffee, I like it just lukewarm. MY GI tract can't tolerate the temp they come at. The temperature wasn't why theirs was horrible though, that was an unrelated side track.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#227  Postby Mike_L » Nov 12, 2017 7:45 am

This is quite amusing...

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#228  Postby Macdoc » Nov 12, 2017 10:40 am

Piper have you talked to doc about proton pump inhibitors for your GI tract ??

Works the charm for partner and I. Was a while there could not tolerate more than a very small cup of coffee on daily basis.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#229  Postby laklak » Nov 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Spent last night at the Malolotja Nature Reserve about an hour from home, with old friends. Forgot to bring my espresso pot and was forced to drink instant coffee. Ricoffy brand, which is absolutely fucking vile, but I sank two cups anyway because we drank waaaaaay too much wine the night before. Back home now and just had a decent cuppa and a Bloody Maria which seems to have sorted me out.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#230  Postby Mike_L » Nov 12, 2017 3:38 pm

laklak wrote:...was forced to drink instant coffee. Ricoffy brand, which is absolutely fucking vile...

The worst of the worst! Other "cheapies" like Frisco and Koffiehuis at least have coffee as the principal ingredient, with chicory as a filler.
Ricoffy's first-listed ingredient is "dextrins". Yes, this appears above "coffee" in the list. Dextrins are what forms when starch is subjected to dry heat. And this is why Ricoffy tastes like a broth made from burnt toast.
:yuk:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#231  Postby quas » Jan 05, 2018 5:04 pm

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#232  Postby Mike_L » Jan 06, 2018 10:42 am

:lol:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#233  Postby The_Piper » Jan 06, 2018 2:22 pm

If I had to drink it black I wouldn't be hopelessly addicted either. :lol: Though sodas can do the same thing. My Mountain Dews were loaded with caffeine and sugar. I quit that 7 years ago and was off caffeine until I was prescribed medicine that makes me fall asleep at 2 in the afternoon. :nono:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#234  Postby The_Piper » Jan 06, 2018 2:25 pm

I've been using Stevia as a sweetener, anyone else using that? Supposedly it's not as bad for me as Sweet n Low. I love how they say it's 100x as sweet as sugar (or some other crazy number like that), when I have to use the same amount of Stevia as I would table sugar. Actually I don't love it, that's sarcasm.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#235  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Those damn throw away coffee cups with those stupid lids are a pain to the environment:

Latte levy: What is the proposal, and how could it help save the environment?

It is estimated that the UK throws away around 2.5bn disposable coffee cups a year

What is it?

MPs on the Environmental Audit Committee are asking for the Government to introduce a “latte levy” – essentially a 25p charge on every disposable coffee cup bought by consumers.
Why is it being considered?

It is estimated that the UK throws away around 2.5bn disposable coffee cups a year and almost all are incinerated, exported or sent to landfill because their plastic lining makes them expensive to recycle.

Evidence heard by the committee during its inquiry claimed that less than one per cent of coffee cups are recycled because there are only three facilities in the UK that can split the paper and plastic components.

And last year researchers at Cardiff University concluded that charging 25p for every coffee cup would help cut the number used by up to 300m a year.

I would ban them.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#236  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 06, 2018 4:11 pm

The_Piper wrote:I've been using Stevia as a sweetener, anyone else using that? Supposedly it's not as bad for me as Sweet n Low. I love how they say it's 100x as sweet as sugar (or some other crazy number like that), when I have to use the same amount of Stevia as I would table sugar. Actually I don't love it, that's sarcasm.

What kind do you buy?

We’ve been using stevia for years.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#237  Postby The_Piper » Jan 06, 2018 4:29 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
The_Piper wrote:I've been using Stevia as a sweetener, anyone else using that? Supposedly it's not as bad for me as Sweet n Low. I love how they say it's 100x as sweet as sugar (or some other crazy number like that), when I have to use the same amount of Stevia as I would table sugar. Actually I don't love it, that's sarcasm.

What kind do you buy?

We’ve been using stevia for years.

The first I bought were packets of Wal Mart brand, but they went really fast because I needed 3-4 packets to make it sweet enough for me. This time I bought a baker's bag of "Stevia in the raw" brand for $6.99, and I got it a dollar cheaper with a coupon. How about you?
I've been using about 3 tablespoons per 8oz cup, and I've still been putting in half a packet of sweet n low. I like my coffee to be very sweet.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#238  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Jesus H. Christ, no shit you like that shit sweet!

We used to get Nustevia by the box of a thousand packets from Amazon. K thinks theirs has a bitter aftertaste, so we switched to Stevia in the Raw, also from Amazon.

I drink my coffee black, but usually use a packet of stevia in a cup of tea, or on a bowl of oatmeal.

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#239  Postby The_Piper » Jan 06, 2018 10:24 pm

I'm going to try using half the coffee when making mine, and I won't need to use so much stevia. Plus it will be better for my body to not consume so much caffeine. Or I could try decaf if the other fails. You're all welcome to stone me to death for even mentioning it. 6 months ago I'd think that idea is madness. When you drink 5 cups a day, something has to change.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#240  Postby Macdoc » Jan 06, 2018 11:11 pm

actually nothing has to change...4-5 cups a day is good for you. If it bothers your digestion - pantoprazole will help.
Pantoprazole is in a class of drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), which block the production of acid by the stomach. Other drugs in the same class include lansoprazole (Prevacid), omeprazole (Prilosec) and rabeprazole (Aciphex).
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion