When will the new forum appear?.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: When will the new forum appear?.

#1181  Postby obscured by clouds » May 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Wow, just checked it out.....hummm okay I hope they get what they are looking for.
OBC world summer tour! LA ~ May 8, Thrasho De Mayo / Saint Vitus ~ West Coast Tour, Seattle, Protland, SF, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas June 25 - July 1 / July 4th weekend LA / Scotland, Oct? / Come and say hi if you live near! (more TBA)
obscured by clouds

Name: Mr. Obscured By Clouds

Print view this post

#1182  Postby Jain » May 11, 2010 7:19 pm

!
MODNOTE
I have moved 2 of macdoc's posts from this thread to start a discussion over in the feedback and suggestion section of the forum, you will find them HERE

Jain
My Blog- http://lucyjain.wordpress.com/

When I have a terrible need of - shall I say the word - religion. Then I go out and paint the stars. Vincent Van Gogh
Jain
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1183  Postby Pombolo » May 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Just had a look at the new "Discussion" area on the RD site... meh. I can see how it matches what they wanted, but it's not for me.
Pombolo

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1184  Postby pensioner » May 11, 2010 8:39 pm

obscured by clouds wrote:Wow, just checked it out.....hummm okay I hope they get what they are looking for.

What shite?
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1185  Postby obscured by clouds » May 11, 2010 8:50 pm

pensioner wrote:
obscured by clouds wrote:Wow, just checked it out.....hummm okay I hope they get what they are looking for.

What shite?

Yeah! If that is what they want, then sure, good for them. I left rd.net in '08 so it's been something that was in the long long time ago for me. I'm looking to the future! :thumbup:
OBC world summer tour! LA ~ May 8, Thrasho De Mayo / Saint Vitus ~ West Coast Tour, Seattle, Protland, SF, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas June 25 - July 1 / July 4th weekend LA / Scotland, Oct? / Come and say hi if you live near! (more TBA)
obscured by clouds

Name: Mr. Obscured By Clouds

Print view this post

#1186  Postby kiki5711 » May 11, 2010 9:07 pm

anthroban wrote:Image

I love you Chalkers.

I love you too Timmy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
kiki5711

Print view this post

#1187  Postby akigr8 » May 11, 2010 11:28 pm

:rofl:
I once applied for a job as a mustard cutter.

But unfortunately I wasn’t quite good enough.
akigr8

Name: Kim

Print view this post

#1188  Postby lordpasternack » May 12, 2010 2:43 pm

By the way - the User's Agreement has hallmarks of Richard Dawkins all over it. I really don't think it was written by Josh, or possibly even in conjunction with anyone. Doesn't make it any less subjective, naive and inane in parts - as might be expected from someone who once told me he had no time for rules and such like - but I just thought I'd say this, anyway.
lordpasternack

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1189  Postby 95Theses » May 12, 2010 2:44 pm

lordpasternack wrote:By the way - the User's Agreement has hallmarks of Richard Dawkins all over it. I really don't think it was written by Josh, or possibly even in conjunction with anyone. Doesn't make it any less subjective, naive and inane in parts - as might be expected from someone who once told me he had no time for rules and such like - but I just thought I'd say this, anyway.

No way, He is too articulate to write something like that, he would never start a sentance with 'Obviously' like happens twice in that pile of shite document
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1190  Postby Emmeline » May 12, 2010 2:51 pm

Paula Kirby was asked to write the new website's Terms of Use and was working on it it just before the forum was shut down. I don't know if the final result is her work though.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#1191  Postby kiki5711 » May 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Jan wrote:Paula Kirby was asked to write the new website's Terms of Use and was working on it it just before the forum was shut down. I don't know if the final result is her work though.

Paula Kirby? Ok, I know she participated in the forum sometimes (mostly for her book) but why ask her to draft "The Terms"??? I think it would have been better to ask the moderators to do it since they spent every day interacting with members. Maybe she was just on his "to do" list.
kiki5711

Print view this post

#1192  Postby Festeringbob » May 12, 2010 3:41 pm

lordpasternack wrote:
Corky wrote:
lordpasternack wrote:
Corky wrote:Has anyone noticed that the front page and the new forum are all in the same place now?

That was part of the plan from day one, and set out quite plainly in their notice in late February.

They used to have a nice looking front page but now . . . pfft, it's all front page - ugly front page with no features.

That's what I alluded to a few posts up. :mrgreen:

Also - I've had a sex-change over there: http://richarddawkins.net/profiles/16409

I'm very excited. They must have listened to FedUpWithFaith when he remarked that I knew so much and had spread so much knowledge about circumcision and penises that I'd done enough to deserve my own. It's clearly not enough that I can have as many as I like... :mrgreen:

i liked you better as a girl :(
Liberty Prime is online. All systems nominal. Weapons hot. Mission: the destruction of any and all Chinese communists.
Festeringbob

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1193  Postby lordpasternack » May 12, 2010 4:18 pm

It does seem a bit silly not to ask a group of experienced longterm volunteers to attempt to hash together some sound guidelines based on their combined skills, knowledge and experience in this particular area. Perhaps Richard considered that they'd all be too embittered by events to want to contribute - or perhaps it's that he just never considered…

kiki5711 wrote:Maybe she was just on his "to do" list.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…
lordpasternack

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1194  Postby Emmeline » May 12, 2010 4:25 pm

lordpasternack wrote:It does seem a bit silly not to ask a group of experienced longterm volunteers to attempt to hash together some sound guidelines based on their combined skills, knowledge and experience in this particular area. Perhaps Richard considered that they'd all be too embittered by events to want to contribute - or perhaps it's that he just never considered.

I expect Paula was asked because even back then when she said she was doing it (quite some time before the forum was shut), they had decided not to take any existing forum staff with them into the new website, although we were asked to test-run it. I volunteered the staff's expertise to help Paula write the new Terms of Use and she accepted but we didn't hear anything more about it.
Emmeline

Print view this post

#1195  Postby lordpasternack » May 12, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm sorry, but how utterly silly of whoever decided you weren't to be taken on into the new site. I'd love to know whose decision that was and what their supposed rationale was… God, it just gets more infuriatingly silly by the minute…
lordpasternack

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1196  Postby kiki5711 » May 12, 2010 5:11 pm

lordpasternack wrote:It does seem a bit silly not to ask a group of experienced longterm volunteers to attempt to hash together some sound guidelines based on their combined skills, knowledge and experience in this particular area. Perhaps Richard considered that they'd all be too embittered by events to want to contribute - or perhaps it's that he just never considered…

kiki5711 wrote:Maybe she was just on his "to do" list.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…

:what: :what: did I say dat? :smoke: :smoke:

Wow, I never expected such a wide array of very valuable input. Thanks, community.
http://www.richarddawkins.net/discussio ... ome-advice

Looks like somebody has been reading this thread. (koochie koochie kooo! :whistle: :whistle: )
kiki5711

Print view this post

#1197  Postby Tangerine Dream » May 12, 2010 5:29 pm

anthroban wrote:
95Theses wrote:
lordpasternack wrote:By the way - the User's Agreement has hallmarks of Richard Dawkins all over it. I really don't think it was written by Josh, or possibly even in conjunction with anyone. Doesn't make it any less subjective, naive and inane in parts - as might be expected from someone who once told me he had no time for rules and such like - but I just thought I'd say this, anyway.

No way, He is too articulate to write something like that, he would never start a sentance with 'Obviously' like happens twice in that pile of shite document

I was never taught that particular rule of grammar. What is wrong with starting a sentence with 'obviously'?

Obviously,It is rather obvious :grin:
If shit was worth something, poor people would be born with no asshole.
Tangerine Dream

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#1198  Postby Pombolo » May 12, 2010 8:32 pm

It think it's more the issue of having to state that something is obvious, when it should be evident from what you say.
Pombolo

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1199  Postby j.mills » May 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Personally, I don't think that's obvious. But obviously, that's just me personally.

Let's move on...
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1200  Postby Robert_S » May 12, 2010 11:52 pm

j.mills wrote:Personally, I don't think that's obvious. But obviously, that's just me personally.

Let's move on...

Obviously, the words in the Terms of Use at Richarddawkins.net were written not as a document to be referred to, but a personal note to the scores of people who will be using the new website.
Robert_S

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion