Debunking PETA!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Debunking PETA!

#321  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Is this thread about PETA's hypocrisy or meat eating? The thread title suggests one, the thread itself seems to have digressed to the other.

I think we need a split.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#322  Postby UtilityMonster » Apr 24, 2013 5:34 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Is this thread about PETA's hypocrisy or meat eating? The thread title suggests one, the thread itself seems to have digressed to the other.

I think we need a split.

No, it is relevant. I am impugning the credibility of all here claiming that PETA is hypocritical. It is like someone who is religious attempting to critique secular ethical systems. Until they drop their religious baggage, their critiques are almost certainly bound to be off the mark, because they are so delusional that they cannot have a reasoned discussion on the nature of an ethical system that presupposes their beliefs to be false. They may be incisive, but that is most unlikely.

Likewise in this discussion, people are attempting to critique PETA when they have demonstrably illogical views regarding the cost benefit analyses of animal consumption. They believe that the preferences of their taste buds override a lifetime of suffering for animals, the greatest contributor to climate change in the world, the greatest cause of rain forest deforestation, and so on. This is so backwards, that they are desperately attempting to achieve any type of moral high ground on any type of issue. Even if they were right, that PETA actually doesn't give a shit about animals and kills them because they are lazy, that is so unimportant next to their own behavior of mass animal slaughter.

But they aren't right, anyway. Until they understand consequentialist ethical theory, the nervous systems and psychology of animals, the conditions animals are kept in, the other adverse effects of animal husbandry, etc., they will never comprehend how radicalism is called for in debates of animal welfare. And they choose not to educate themselves, either because they want to remain willfully ignorant out of fear that they will feel bad about their behavior, or because they are lazy, the same accusation they lodge at PETA.
The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?"
UtilityMonster

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#323  Postby HughMcB » Apr 24, 2013 5:36 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Is this thread about PETA's hypocrisy or meat eating? The thread title suggests one, the thread itself seems to have digressed to the other.

I think we need a split.

We don't need a split, we have a meat eating thread. Probably more than one.

We are talking about PETA as not being as advertised.

However some people would feel more comfortable shifting goal posts, I wonder why? :think:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#324  Postby Animavore » Apr 24, 2013 5:41 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:
No, it is relevant. I am impugning the credibility of all here claiming that PETA is hypocritical.

Of all here? Even those who are vegan?

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/gener ... tml#p24960
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#325  Postby UtilityMonster » Apr 24, 2013 5:52 pm

HughMcB wrote:

I think we need a split.

We don't need a split, we have a meat eating thread. Probably more than one.

We are talking about PETA as not being as advertised.

However some people would feel more comfortable shifting goal posts, I wonder why? :think:

This entire thread is a shift in the goalposts. You are attempting to equate PETA being a bad organization with meat consumption being morally acceptable, whether you acknowledge it or not.

Animavore wrote:
UtilityMonster wrote:
No, it is relevant. I am impugning the credibility of all here claiming that PETA is hypocritical.

Of all here? Even those who are vegan?

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/gener ... tml#p24960

Didn't see his post. No, I think jmills was already more qualified in his criticism of PETA. I know there are a number of vegetarians/vegans who criticize certain things PETA does, but I think they are much more willing to have rational arguments about possibly unsavory actions PETA takes on behalf of animals. I would never think a vegan is criticizing PETA merely because they are ashamed that PETA so stridently criticizes their behavior. @j.mills , were he reading this thread, would probably find http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ingrid-ne ... 36311.html persuasive and not say it was bullshit, well, because it came from PETA, which he knows is bullshit!
The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?"
UtilityMonster

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#326  Postby Animavore » Apr 24, 2013 6:02 pm

UtilityMonster wrote: @j.mills , were he reading this thread, would probably find http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ingrid-ne ... 36311.html persuasive and not say it was bullshit, well, because it came from PETA, which he knows is bullshit!

Or he might say what a seemingly emotionally-driven, manipulative, select article which only highlights PETA's dishonesty. I mean, it's not as if any other shelter wouldn't of put down those same animals displayed in the photographs. How many animals arrive in such serious conditions? I mean, really?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#327  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 24, 2013 6:54 pm

I don't eat dogs and cats.

Does that allow me to point out that dogs and cats released to PETA to be "Rescued" are being fast tracked to being euthanized by that same organization, or does eating any kind of meat disqualify me from having an opinion?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#328  Postby HughMcB » Apr 24, 2013 7:12 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:This entire thread is a shift in the goalposts. You are attempting to equate PETA being a bad organization with meat consumption being morally acceptable, whether you acknowledge it or not.

No one has equated PETA's activities with meat eating except you!

FFS stop talking out your arse and stick to the issue at hand. PETA's activities.
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#329  Postby HughMcB » Apr 24, 2013 7:15 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:I don't eat dogs and cats.

Does that allow me to point out that dogs and cats released to PETA to be "Rescued" are being fast tracked to being euthanized by that same organization, or does eating any kind of meat disqualify me from having an opinion?

YOU EAT TEH MEATZ!!!1!

I'm going to ignore you! :waah:
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#330  Postby campermon » Apr 24, 2013 9:45 pm

!
MODNOTE
UtilityMonster,

This post contains a personal attack against another poster.

[Reveal] Spoiler: your post
UtilityMonster wrote:
laklak wrote:We need a new internet law. As any internet discussion concerning animals lengthens the possibility of some vegan playing the meat card approaches 100%.

Are you completely oblivious to the hypocrisy of pouting about animal euthanasia when you put animals through miserable existences to satisfy your taste buds?

Evidently.

Animavore wrote:Jesus! Going by ixolite's post PETA are the Mother Teresa of the animal world.

And seemingly their supporters like devout Catholics with their head in the sand.

This explains a lot about how your posts seldom make sense. You don't read what people write.Maybe you should spend less time drinking, playing video games, and watching television and instead spend some time reading a 7th grade reading text.

HughMcB wrote:
:lol:

I've got nothing else to argue, I have fuck all, they're going to find me out!

Quick, berate them for eating teh meatz!!!!!1!!

Find me out? What exactly am I hiding? That secretly I hate animals and want them to suffer? There isn't any possibility that you are trying pathetically to take the high ground on the issue of animal welfare by making the case that 2,000 cases of euthanasia by PETA a year matters more than your meat consumption? Ignore the article I posted where Newkirk completely demolishes any attempt to say that PETA is hypocritical and doesn't care about animals. It was written by Ingrid herself, after all! It couldn't have valid arguments, no no no! Why? Because PETA is a terrorist organization! How do I know this? Because I only read anti-PETA propaganda that says PETA is a terrorist organization. Lulz! Nothing wrong there.

Your moral code amounts to: I like meat, I care more about myself than animals, and so I eat it. It is no different than a rapist who says he likes sex so he rapes women. Damn what other beings must go through for you to get what you want. You are you, after all, and your mother told you that you were special... yes, very special indeed.

This post is an admission to provoke another poster.

[Reveal] Spoiler: your post
UtilityMonster wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Yes, because alienating the people you're trying to reach is how you win them over.

You should try being more Martin Luther King than Malcomn X.

No, HughMcB cannot be won over, so my goal is to make him feel as bad as possible about his horrible rationalizations for his behavior.

Recently, you received a warning for similar posting here.

Consequently, you have earned a 2nd active warning.

A 3rd active warning will result in a one week suspension. In order to avoid this sanction I would urge you to avoid personalizing any subsequent posts you make on the forum.

campermon

Please do not discuss moderating decisions in this thread. If you have any queries please PM myself or any other member of the moderating team.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#331  Postby epepke » Apr 27, 2013 12:30 am

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is an organization that publicly claims to represent the best interest of animals -- indeed their "ethical treatment." Yet approximately 2,000 animals pass through PETA's front door every year and very few make it out alive. The vast majority -- 96 percent in 2011 -- exit the facility out the back door after they have been killed, when Pet Cremation Services of Tidewater stops by on their regular visits to pick up their remains. Between these visits, the bodies are stored in the giant walk-in freezer PETA installed for this very purpose. It is a freezer that cost $9,370 and, like the company which incinerates the bodies of PETA's victims, was paid for with the donations of animal lovers who could never have imagined that the money they donated to help animals would be used to end their lives instead. In fact, in the last 11 years, PETA has killed 29,426 dogs, cats, rabbits, and other domestic animals.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan-j-winograd/peta-kills-puppies-kittens_b_2979220.html

This has been going on for decades. It's very well known. There have been hundreds or thousands of legal documents.

There has been enough argument. This is far beyond a few freak chapters or individuals.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Debunking