How To Think Critically

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How To Think Critically

#21  Postby junjan » Oct 02, 2010 7:22 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM[/youtube]
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Ignoti et quasi occulti
....oooO..............
.....(....)...Oooo...
......)../.....(....)....
.....(_/.......)../.....
...............(_/.......
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
junjan

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Here's a nice resource with many links on critiquing pseudoscience and thinking critically:

http://www.chem1.com/acad/sci/pseudosci.html
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#23  Postby early_cuyler » Feb 08, 2011 12:00 am

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Thinking-9th-Vincent-Ruggiero/dp/020566833X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297122918&sr=1-2 I used earlier editions of this with much success many years ago in freshman English classes.
early_cuyler

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Loren Michael » Mar 09, 2011 12:55 pm

Why is nobody talking about biases.
Loren Michael

Name: Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#25  Postby psikeyhackr » Mar 26, 2011 9:14 pm

A lot of so called logic is semantic bullshit.

You need to filter out THE TYRANNY OF WORDS

THE TYRANNY OF WORDS by Stuart Chase
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 06,00.html

But a brief grounding in semantics is a life work in itself. Modern semantics dates from 1923, when two English professors. C. K. Ogden and I. A. Richards, wrote a book called The Meaning QJ Meaning, followed by Ogden's invention of an 850-word vocabulary called Basic English. Indicative of the complexity of semantics is the fact that while Ogden is an orthologist and psychologist and Richards is an esthetician, important contributions have been made by a Polish mathematician, Count Alfred Korzybski, and a Harvard physicist, Percy Williams Bridgman. Semantics ranges from the equator of Basic English through the lush tropics of political bunkum to the North Pole of James Joyce's word-coining.

I struggled through most of Korzybski's Science and Sanity decades ago but I never heard of The Tyranny of Words until last year. So if this society really wanted most people to think straight why isn't the book common knowledge. The culture is designed to keep most people confused.

Sci-fi writers like Heinlein and A.E. van Vogt were into General Semantics in the 50s. It got incorporated into their works.

http://www.roger-russell.com/sffun/nulla.htm

psik
Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
Since 9/11 Physics has been History
psikeyhackr

Print view this post

#26  Postby psikeyhackr » Mar 26, 2011 9:19 pm

I suppose it is redundant to state the obvious but it seems to get missed so often:

Sort the data that is relevant to the problem from the data that is not.

psik
Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
Since 9/11 Physics has been History
psikeyhackr

Print view this post

#27  Postby Hugin » May 18, 2011 12:16 pm

I think this video is pretty good:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oefmPtsV_w4[/youtube]

"If something doesn't make sense, don't pretend that it does."
"If there were an Economist's Creed, it would surely contain the affirmations 'I understand the Principle of Comparative Advantage' and 'I advocate Free Trade'." - Paul Krugman
Hugin
Banned User

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Laurens » May 27, 2011 8:50 pm

I'm currently reading 'Asking the Right Questions' by M. Neil Browne and Stuart M. Keeley. It seems like a very decent introduction to critical thinking.
"In so far as a scientific statement speaks about reality, it must be falsifiable; and in so far as it is not falsifiable, it does not speak about reality."
- Karl Popper

Blog | Music
Laurens

Name: Laurens Southgate
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Sigillum Militum » Mar 20, 2012 11:54 am

I think one of the most important points is neatly summarized by a pic I made to parody some other atheist pic that was floating around on the Interwebs:

Remember that the Western concept of rationality is instrumental, meaning that it prescribes only means, not ends. This means that e.g. free market theory, human rights charters, feminism, do not automatically get rolled into the canon of Rationality™.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

The goys have proven the following theorem...
Sigillum Militum

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby z8000783 » Mar 20, 2012 12:31 pm

I have never dispensed with MY epistemic scruples even when asked polity.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#31  Postby MartyBanks » Apr 24, 2013 7:57 pm

These are great and everything, however, it's rather preaching to the choir. True Believers won't look at this stuff. Too many words. Something is needed with catch-phrases, sound-bytes and pictures.
MartyBanks

Name: Marty Banks

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 26, 2013 5:39 pm

MartyBanks wrote:These are great and everything, however, it's rather preaching to the choir. True Believers won't look at this stuff. Too many words. Something is needed with catch-phrases, sound-bytes and pictures.

You don't understand. The True Believers got there first with sound-bytes, pictures, and catch-phrases. :smoke:

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Zwaarddijk » Apr 27, 2013 6:43 pm

psikeyhackr wrote:A lot of so called logic is semantic bullshit.

You need to filter out THE TYRANNY OF WORDS

THE TYRANNY OF WORDS by Stuart Chase
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 06,00.html

But a brief grounding in semantics is a life work in itself. Modern semantics dates from 1923, when two English professors. C. K. Ogden and I. A. Richards, wrote a book called The Meaning QJ Meaning, followed by Ogden's invention of an 850-word vocabulary called Basic English. Indicative of the complexity of semantics is the fact that while Ogden is an orthologist and psychologist and Richards is an esthetician, important contributions have been made by a Polish mathematician, Count Alfred Korzybski, and a Harvard physicist, Percy Williams Bridgman. Semantics ranges from the equator of Basic English through the lush tropics of political bunkum to the North Pole of James Joyce's word-coining.

I struggled through most of Korzybski's Science and Sanity decades ago but I never heard of The Tyranny of Words until last year. So if this society really wanted most people to think straight why isn't the book common knowledge. The culture is designed to keep most people confused.

Sci-fi writers like Heinlein and A.E. van Vogt were into General Semantics in the 50s. It got incorporated into their works.

http://www.roger-russell.com/sffun/nulla.htm

psik

For everyone else, Korzybski's work is recognized as pseudo-science, and should be approached as the bullshit it is.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#34  Postby skipbond » Aug 22, 2014 8:41 am

Since scientists claim intelligence is hereditary, then how could one possibly posit that reading is the road to critical thinking. Comprehending the contents and overall implications of it and how to apply the contents would have to be somewhat already present in the individual, or else the parroting would amount to indoctrination not "the critical insight" of what is read. Just my opinion.
skipbond

Name: vernon eugene smith

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 22, 2014 9:30 am

skipbond wrote:Since scientists claim intelligence is hereditary, then how could one possibly posit that reading is the road to critical thinking. Comprehending the contents and overall implications of it and how to apply the contents would have to be somewhat already present in the individual, or else the parroting would amount to indoctrination not "the critical insight" of what is read. Just my opinion.

Do you really suggest a binary either-or to the formation of 'critical thinking'? I don't see much in the way of critical thinking there, unless it's wrapped in a willingness to footnote everything with the words 'just my opinion'.

My justification for this is that developing a skill requires practice. If you think there's some intrinsic 'intelligence' cast in stone, as it were, then practice is pointless, isn't it? Everything worth doing requires a combination of innate ability and concerted practice. Intelligent-but-lazy people never achieve much of anything except by dumb luck. Neither do hard-working morons, if twenty-seven eight-by-ten colored glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one means are any measure of success.

EDIT: Corrected photo size from AR
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Aug 22, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#36  Postby THWOTH » Aug 22, 2014 10:39 am

skipbond wrote:Since scientists claim intelligence is hereditary, then how could one possibly posit that reading is the road to critical thinking....

It's called 'Education'.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby kennyc » Aug 22, 2014 12:59 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
skipbond wrote:Since scientists claim intelligence is hereditary, then how could one possibly posit that reading is the road to critical thinking. Comprehending the contents and overall implications of it and how to apply the contents would have to be somewhat already present in the individual, or else the parroting would amount to indoctrination not "the critical insight" of what is read. Just my opinion.

Do you really suggest a binary either-or to the formation of 'critical thinking'? I don't see much in the way of critical thinking there, unless it's wrapped in a willingness to footnote everything with the words 'just my opinion'.

My justification for this is that developing a skill requires practice. If you think there's some intrinsic 'intelligence' cast in stone, as it were, then practice is pointless, isn't it? Everything worth doing requires a combination of innate ability and concerted practice. Intelligent-but-lazy people never achieve much of anything except by dumb luck. Neither do hard-working morons, if twenty-seven eight-and-a-half-by-eleven glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one means are any measure of success.

Happy Birthday. This post's for you! :cheers: :grin:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby babel » Aug 22, 2014 1:05 pm

THWOTH wrote:
skipbond wrote:Since scientists claim intelligence is hereditary, then how could one possibly posit that reading is the road to critical thinking....

It's called 'Education'.

I also don't get what skipbond was saying.
Presumably a child with very smart parents might have stellar potential, but without education and stimuli the child will never reach its full potential.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#39  Postby campermon » Aug 22, 2014 1:46 pm

skipbond wrote:Since scientists claim intelligence is hereditary, ...

They don't claim that.

Scientists claim that hereditary is just one of the factors which contributes what we measure as 'intelligence'.

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Evolving » Aug 22, 2014 9:33 pm

This thread (except for the last few entries) is like wandering through the Cambrian section of the museum. Lots of extinct posters.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking