Rick Simpson: claimed cancer cure

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Rick Simpson: claimed cancer cure

#1  Postby JustStarDust » Jun 18, 2020 4:31 pm

Cancer sucks. I don't have it, yet. But I'm guessing I'll get it eventually. Somewhat, impossible to avoid.

I want to believe there are cures. I want to believe.
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Name: NotTellingYouThatSorry

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

Re: Me and my stupid cancer

#2  Postby Fallible » Jun 19, 2020 3:04 pm

I want to not watch your video.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Hermit » Jun 19, 2020 3:56 pm

Fallible wrote:I want to not watch your video.

And right you are. Apparently, big business/pharma has withheld the cure for cancer and countless other medical conditions for over a century in the interest of profit, but Rick Simpson has rediscovered the cure for cancer and shared it with as many people as he could. That's what was claimed in the first 30 seconds of this clip, at which point I turned it off.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Fallible » Jun 19, 2020 4:12 pm

What really pisses me off is the assumption that other assorted brain donors won’t have tried to pull this shit with me numerous times before, that I’ve never run across this foetid piece of nonsense until some dude on the internet posted a video about it. To be honest, I’d rather that post be removed.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Rick Simpson: claimed cancer cure

#5  Postby JustStarDust » Jun 22, 2020 8:42 am

Sorry if it was 'misleading' but Rick doesn't say it would cure every type of cancer.

Also, to somewhat make things worse, the video is a re-edit. Someone has put that intro at the start. I would have to agree, that 1st 45 seconds is a bit misleading, but at the same time there's many types of cancer. Some of which, may not have a cure yet, but again - there may be a cure for specific ones, someday.

We all want to find a cure for things. No matter how, or who claims to find it. The fact that you, Hermit 'turned off after 30 seconds' - is not very good in terms of listening to an entire argument. The part about 'Big business & such' is at 24:07. It's not just his random opinion, it actually has some 'merit'?

After all, only recently this 'Sackler Family' got busted. They care more about the money. And yes I understand it's to do mainly with opioids, it is a slightly different category, but also linked.

And what about Bloodroot? It's another natural thing which some to claim to be a cure for cancer.
At the same time, I am aware of the people who fake things for money and fame. I don't know how they sleep at night.
And then there's the whole Dr Marys Monkey thing:

And sure, I'd rather none of these 'conspiracies' to be true. But I've pretty much lost faith in - whatever it is that allows hydrogen bombs & nukes to be tested on animals, environment & humans. But at the same time, I want to believe there's something better.
And I do know people who have passed due to various cancers. Cancer sucks. Suffering sucks. Plus, I can only assume so much, because I haven't read everyone's post on this forum. Nor do I know you personally, nor can I read people's minds. Sorry.
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Hermit » Jun 22, 2020 10:27 am

JustStarDust wrote:The fact that you, Hermit 'turned off after 30 seconds' - is not very good in terms of listening to an entire argument.

No, JustStarDust. Listening to the entire argument is a waste of time. I have heard of the claims by too many hucksters said they have found the cure for some cancer or another, only to have their discovery blocked by big pharma, to be impressed by that. What will impress me is replicable empirical data, checked by independent auditors, demonstrating the efficacy of said cures. It never happened to date. Never.

The tragedy concerning fraudsters like Rick Simpson is that desperate victims and their families empty their pockets to those fucks. They spend money that would be better spent with experts that actually have runs on the board, at least in regard to prolonging the lives of cancer sufferers for whom no cure is available yet.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Fallible » Jun 22, 2020 12:00 pm

JustStarDust wrote:Sorry if it was 'misleading' but Rick doesn't say it would cure every type of cancer.

Also, to somewhat make things worse, the video is a re-edit. Someone has put that intro at the start. I would have to agree, that 1st 45 seconds is a bit misleading, but at the same time there's many types of cancer. Some of which, may not have a cure yet, but again - there may be a cure for specific ones, someday.

We all want to find a cure for things. No matter how, or who claims to find it. The fact that you, Hermit 'turned off after 30 seconds' - is not very good in terms of listening to an entire argument. The part about 'Big business & such' is at 24:07. It's not just his random opinion, it actually has some 'merit'?

After all, only recently this 'Sackler Family' got busted. They care more about the money. And yes I understand it's to do mainly with opioids, it is a slightly different category, but also linked.

And what about Bloodroot? It's another natural thing which some to claim to be a cure for cancer.
At the same time, I am aware of the people who fake things for money and fame. I don't know how they sleep at night.
And then there's the whole Dr Marys Monkey thing:

And sure, I'd rather none of these 'conspiracies' to be true. But I've pretty much lost faith in - whatever it is that allows hydrogen bombs & nukes to be tested on animals, environment & humans. But at the same time, I want to believe there's something better.
And I do know people who have passed due to various cancers. Cancer sucks. Suffering sucks. Plus, I can only assume so much, because I haven't read everyone's post on this forum. Nor do I know you personally, nor can I read people's minds. Sorry.

Your post was removed from the original thread because it was off-topic.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby felltoearth » Jun 22, 2020 12:44 pm

If your opening premise is false what follows doesn’t matter.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby BWE » Jun 22, 2020 8:22 pm

The thing about Marijuana related medicines is that they have not been studied extensively yet. I have found that just plain smoking pot actually cures the symptoms of my ulcerative colitis and if you visit forums where patients discuss their experiences, it seems to be common. Great if it works but it doesn't work for everyone so there is something else going on too.

I get pretty uptight when people tell me about what I should be doing to manage my symptoms. It's not like I haven't read pretty much all the relevant literature and tried 40 different diets..

It's straight up irresponsible to promote "cures" that haven't been studied. But almost worse is the level of condescension involved in telling someone who is sick that there is a secret miracle cure that they've never heard of because Dr's are keeping it secret.

Desperation drives a lot of decisions when cures are involved and logic is easy to toss by the wayside in dire circumstances.

Marijuana shows a lot of potential in a lot of areas of medicine. In my case, enough people have reported symptom relief that there are now a lot of studies coming out with positive feedback. Maybe it can help some conditions. But it actually makes a difference to discuss that with a Dr if you decide to try it because, contrary to popular folk tales, being near comatose is actually a pretty horrendous side effect.

This is basically a mixed bag of rant and musing.

/my 2c
BWE

Print view this post

#10  Postby laklak » Jun 22, 2020 10:15 pm

:this:

When I get a flare (psoriatic arthritis / IBS) somebody will start going on about turmeric, or CBD oil, or giving up nightshade vegetables, or some other utter fucking nonsense. I've tried it all, trust me. The only things that help are the THC in weed, ibuprofen, and prednisone. Eventually I'll probably be on some sort of biologic.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby BWE » Jun 22, 2020 10:25 pm

I simply refuse the biologic route. And yeah, I try to be polite and say thank you for the information but 90% of the time people who offer unwanted advice go on and on about it and I occasionally go to the shut the fuck up place
BWE

Print view this post

#12  Postby laklak » Jun 22, 2020 11:20 pm

So far I've managed to avoid them, but I'm pretty sure that eventually I'll decide that quality of life is more important and longevity. My mom finally went on Humira for the Crohn's disease, lasted 8 more years. She always said it was worth it, but she was in her mid 70s when she finally gave in. I've got another decade till then.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Matt_B » Jun 23, 2020 12:18 am

Several cures for cancer already exist.

They're things like surgery, drugs and radiotherapy but they're all reliant upon catching it early enough for it to be possible to kill the cancer without taking the host along with it.

My father died of kidney cancer because he missed the warning signs. My mother died of pancreatic cancer because there were no warning signs until it was far too late. My wife is still with me because they caught hers just in time.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#14  Postby JustStarDust » Jun 23, 2020 6:31 am

felltoearth wrote:If your opening premise is false what follows doesn’t matter.

Do you not see what just happened?

Someone downloaded the original film, added 45 seconds of their opinion, and re-uploaded the thing, and now you think the whole documentary isn't worth watching?!
Sorry to say this, but some people on this forum are coming across as - computer illiterate. Which is not a bad thing, just acknowledge it. I can find any excuse too, you know?
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#15  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 23, 2020 6:35 am

JustStarDust wrote:I can find any excuse too, you know?

That is on full display.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby JustStarDust » Jun 23, 2020 6:52 am

It's like, as silly as me saying..

'I can't believe you, slumpedtoearth, because you promote cocaine use, because of Bowie in your avatar.'
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#17  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 23, 2020 6:58 am

You're not very good at this.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby felltoearth » Jun 23, 2020 10:27 am

JustStarDust wrote:It's like, as silly as me saying..

'I can't believe you, slumpedtoearth, because you promote cocaine use, because of Bowie in your avatar.'

Yes, you are saying silly things here and posting silly videos. You’re starting to catch on.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Fallible » Jun 23, 2020 2:43 pm

BWE wrote:I simply refuse the biologic route. And yeah, I try to be polite and say thank you for the information but 90% of the time people who offer unwanted advice go on and on about it and I occasionally go to the shut the fuck up place

Some good posts from you here. If you tell people about your illness, a certain percentage of them WILL start in with the ‘have you tried x,y,z ‘alternative’ medicine?’ The onus is then placed on you to politely tell them thanks but no thanks. I don’t want to have to do that. I told you about my illness because I have known you for a long time, and figured that in time you’d be noticing I’m not quite myself. I didn’t request advice on how to treat my illness. One person in particular asked me if I had heard that cancer can’t survive in an alkaline environment and that ‘turning your body alkaline’ would cure cancer. Of course I’ve bloody heard it, I’m someone who immediately started researching my condition in some considerable depth as soon as I found out what I had. This, and a basic level of intellectual ability, is how I know it’s complete nonsense. You can’t turn your body alkaline, and if you could, you would die. Sadly one ‘thanks but no thanks’ was not enough. She started in on me again later the same day, saying that she had suffered from polycystic ovary disease and an alkaline diet had cured it, so I should try this diet. Can anyone tell me why someone thinks that PCOD behaves the same way as stage IV renal cell carcinoma and will respond to the same ‘treatments’?

Another friend I’ve known a long time lost her husband to oesophageal cancer two months before I was diagnosed. We had all clubbed together to obtain some cannabis oil (illegal here unless you’re a child with epilepsy, having hundreds of seizures a day). I’m well aware of the reported benefits on cancer symptoms, not a problem. It was unlikely to harm him in his terminal illness. After he died and my cancer returned, she was left with an almost full vial, which she passed on to me. I gratefully accepted it, and would have gladly used it for alleviation of symptoms if she had not been storing it incorrectly for months. Unfortunately, it came along with a ring bound booklet full of complete nonsense, for example that cancer is a fungus, that it can be cured by cannabis oil and that doctors don’t want you to know. Clearly this doesn’t make sense on any level. As a basic start off, we live in the U.K. where we have the NHS. Doctors working in the public health system have nothing to gain by lying about effective treatments. As soon as I realised what this booklet was driving at, it went straight in the bin. Let’s hope she never asks for it back. It angers me to think she read all this at a vulnerable time in her life and was invested in her husband being cured by the oil.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 23, 2020 4:00 pm

felltoearth wrote:
JustStarDust wrote:It's like, as silly as me saying..

Yes, you are saying silly things here and posting silly videos. You’re starting to catch on.

What the....?

I thought that photo was you!

Well, that's who you look like in my mind, now.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Pseudoscience