Roads on Mars?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Roads on Mars?

#1  Postby the_5th_ape » Apr 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

Re: Roads on Mars?

#2  Postby the_5th_ape » Apr 17, 2013 8:48 am

why the fcuk is this in pseudoscience?
Move it to "general debunking"
Last edited by the_5th_ape on Apr 17, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Fallible » Apr 17, 2013 8:49 am

Is this a joke?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Apr 17, 2013 8:56 am

Interesting stuff. Clearly pretty old because the lines are impacted by a number of large craters. The 'road' idea is a bit of a leap in the dark, reminiscent of the old 'canals of Mars' nonsense. Rather than wild conjecture, I'd prefer to wait for a scientific analysis.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby BlackBart » Apr 17, 2013 9:16 am

Roads. Pshaw! Everyone knows that Martians have flying cars.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Matt_B » Apr 17, 2013 9:19 am

Roads of clap, perhaps.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#7  Postby zulumoose » Apr 17, 2013 9:24 am

But all the ancient aliens were on Earth, why would they bother with Mars?

Obviously this trickster has not read enough Von Daniken to realise the truth!
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#8  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 17, 2013 9:26 am

the_5th_ape wrote:why the fcuk is this in pseudoscience?
Move it to "general debunking"

You originally posted this in the Astronomy forum. Anything preventing a bit of civility if you want a topic moved?
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Macky Avelli » Apr 17, 2013 10:09 am

Oh no not this again. First its canals and now this!!! I mean flippin 'eck Mavis. My cousing went to some convention somewhere to do with all of this alien civilisation stuff and was so into it and talked on about it for so long it bore me to tears. He even bought a book about it!!! Whaaah? he says he knows people into it all and who study it and claims that they know what they are on about but why should I hear him out when he isn't presenting any hard evidence to begin with in the first place? Who can even debate with that? he is very gulible and will believe just about anuthing, well, almost any thing, that,someone says to him with a straight enough face.
Macky Avelli
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#10  Postby Jumbo » Apr 17, 2013 10:23 am

The original NASA image shows marking but they don't look anywhere near as similar to roads as the ones on the site in the OP:
http://viewer.mars.asu.edu/planetview/inst/moc/R1102407#start

Personally i think its a case of over applying various photoshop filters. You end up with an images thats less representative of what was actually there and more a result of the mechanics of the image analysis process used.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby zulumoose » Apr 17, 2013 11:05 am

Macky Avelli wrote:Oh no not this again. First its canals and now this!!! I mean flippin 'eck Mavis. My cousing went to some convention somewhere to do with all of this alien civilisation stuff and was so into it and talked on about it for so long it bore me to tears. He even bought a book about it!!! Whaaah? he says he knows people into it all and who study it and claims that they know what they are on about but why should I hear him out when he isn't presenting any hard evidence to begin with in the first place? Who can even debate with that? he is very gulible and will believe just about anuthing, well, almost any thing, that,someone says to him with a straight enough face.

The problem with people like that is that they get excited about an idea, and hooked to that excitement, and then look for every opportunity to reinforce that belief, without ever looking properly at the solidity of the foundations. They also do not seem to think it relevant that valid criticisms are brushed aside without serious consideration.

This is all part of confirmation bias, the 'pet theory' phenomenon.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Macky Avelli » Apr 17, 2013 11:08 am

Yeah pet theory is right. He's the kind of guy tha goes to Mongolia because he thins there are so many spiritual people there.He actually wants to go.
Macky Avelli
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#13  Postby Mike_L » Apr 17, 2013 11:30 am

chairman bill wrote:Interesting stuff. Clearly pretty old because the lines are impacted by a number of large craters.

John Carter, the 'Bomber Harris' of Mars infrastructure.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby zulumoose » Apr 17, 2013 11:36 am

Maybe Curiosity has backfired a few times
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#15  Postby the_5th_ape » Apr 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Jumbo wrote:The original NASA image shows marking but they don't look anywhere near as similar to roads as the ones on the site in the OP:
http://viewer.mars.asu.edu/planetview/inst/moc/R1102407#start

Personally i think its a case of over applying various photoshop filters. You end up with an images thats less representative of what was actually there and more a result of the mechanics of the image analysis process used.

If you have photoshop you can check it out for yourself. You do not have to apply "various filters"
Just hit CTRL+i and then CTRL+m (play with it)
And there you have it. You will get to see all the details (straight lines) with much clarity

the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

#16  Postby Jumbo » Apr 17, 2013 12:48 pm

The thing is the image is first cropped from a larger one. Who knows what resolution based issues that could introduce.

Secondly its then been inverted and then the neon glow filter has been applied. Thats not analyzing the image thats changing the image.

Its also not clear what the source file format was. Many formats involve forms of compression which alter the original image and thus make it unsuitable for proper analysis. (Jpeg is horrible for introducing artifacts in zoomed in images for example)

2. Think very hard.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby the_5th_ape » Apr 17, 2013 1:27 pm

Jumbo wrote:The thing is the image is first cropped from a larger one. Who knows what resolution based issues that could introduce.

Secondly its then been inverted and then the neon glow filter has been applied. Thats not analyzing the image thats changing the image.

Its also not clear what the source file format was. Many formats involve forms of compression which alter the original image and thus make it unsuitable for proper analysis. (Jpeg is horrible for introducing artifacts in zoomed in images for example)

Dont worry about file format.
- Just click the link in NASA webpage that takes you to the original image
- Click PLUS to zoom the image Full size.
- Now take screenshot (Printscreen)
- Open photoshop and paste it there.
- Now follow the steps I mentioned in my previous post

the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Apr 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Oh for god sake. Why don't all these crackpots pool money together to send their own craft to this area of mars to drill cores and analyse them for evidence of alien civilization? Until then all this is of no use to anybody.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby chairman bill » Apr 17, 2013 1:54 pm

These lines might indeed be the remnants of a long-dead Martian civilisation. We don't know. They might be the result of some geological process unknown to science. We don't know. They might be the result of Martian weather and resultant erosion. We don't know. They look fascinating & it would be really interesting to investigate & discover what they are & what caused them. But we don't yet know any of that. And when we don't know, it's best to simply say, "Hey, this looks interesting, but we don't know what it is or what caused it", and leave it there for now. One day humanity will travel to Mars & check it out. Until then we're left with a simple "we don't know".
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Jumbo » Apr 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Dont worry about file format.

If you are seriously analysing an image then the file format is crucial. The format itself introduces data into the image not present in the thing being photographed in many cases. I used the jpeg example earlier. That format often introduces rectangular artifacts as a result of the way it breaks the image down into blocks before applying compression techniques. When you crop or zoom an image in this file format the compression technique can become a visible part of the image forming geometric patterns. (I'm not saying thats the cause here but starting with a JPEG or similar would be bad start)

The other thing is the tools being used can drastically alter the image. The curves tool brought up with ctrl m has to be used very very sparingly. It can posterize an image easily.

2. Think very hard.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking