"The greatest scientific deception of our times.."

..the notion that consumption of animal fat causes heart disease

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: "The greatest scientific deception of our times.."

#161  Postby trevp » Jul 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
trevp wrote:

I also agree that the medical authorities and the government are not setting out to profit from sick people and are taking what they consider to be the best course of action, but the pharmaceutical industry certainly does profit from sick people! Perhaps I'm just being too cynical. :)

As much as I'd love to be an idealist, and wish that such companies could operate on a benevolent basis, at the end of the day they need to pay for their R&D and achieve profits for their shareholders. The only way you'd get such a non-profit type of research is if the government controlled the research of pharmaceuticals, which would directly equate to all the population paying for medical developments regardless of whether they need the treatment or not. Would you recognise that as being true?

Absolutely. Realistically the way things are at the moment is likely to continue. R&D costs for drug development tend to be very high and these costs have to be recovered, but I do believe that this leads to some distortion regarding the reported efficacy of the drugs that are developed.
trevp

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: "The greatest scientific deception of our times.."

#162  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 30, 2011 7:32 am

I can't realistically ever see it changing. There appears to be 3 options: private companies conducting medical R&D, governments conducting medical R&D, or no medical R&D.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Debunking