"The greatest scientific deception of our times.."

..the notion that consumption of animal fat causes heart disease

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

"The greatest scientific deception of our times.."

#1  Postby Apollonius » Jul 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Items to debunk-

1. Eating fat causes heart disease.
2. Cholesterol must be lowered with drugs to prevent heart disease.

An entire generation of doctors, diet "experts" and know-it-alls is wrong. The conventional wisdom on heart disease and cholesterol is based on myth and is not science-based.

The number of professionals that have figured this out and will speak about it publicly is small, but growing. Here is one example. It's a one-hour video-

http://www.cas.usf.edu/news/s/176/

Side note-
Since I'm a Paleo dieter, my diet is mostly healthy fat, and a minimum of carbs. My HDL is high, and my LDL is low. I'm at the lowest possible scale for heart disease risk, and so are most of the people that follow the Paleo diet! We do exactly the opposite of what the "experts" say to do, and we don't take those drugs.
Healing the sick, casting out demons, and raising the dead since the first century...
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

Re: "The greatest scientific deception of our times.."

#2  Postby Sovereign » Jul 11, 2011 9:16 pm

It's funny that you bring this up. I'm not sure if you've read the 4-Hour Body but Tim Ferriss made that statement after he ate diet high in animal products and checked his blood a regular intervals throughout the day for a period of about a month (I may be off on some things since a friend has had the book for a few months to test some of the theories). Good stuff. I think they need to do more clinical studies and get the data out there.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Apollonius » Jul 11, 2011 10:23 pm

Weird huh?

There are a lot more people figuring this out and writing about it, but the "official" advice never seems to change. Science only works if the people doing science actually do science. The diet and health advice the public gets is not science based.
Healing the sick, casting out demons, and raising the dead since the first century...
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Dogmatic Pyrrhonist » Jul 14, 2011 8:41 pm

Apollonius wrote:

Not too sure if this might be different in other places in the world, but in Aussie land that point is more;
2. Cholesterol can be lowered with drugs to prevent arterial blockages escalating into heart disease, for high risk patients.
You've made it sound like the medical profession wants to put everyone on cholesterol lowering drugs. AFAIK, those drugs are usually used when a high cholesterol level has been established in a patient having heart troubles.

Now, for the rest. Yes, but you don't go far enough.
The whole world's dietry knowledge is based on assorted BS. It comes down to choose your flavour of bullshit, and that will tell you which diet lie you want to listen to. It is an area that desperately needs some valid science. But there's so much money in spinning the various bullshits, that very few people want to start with tearing down the house of cards.
And, to be fair, conceiving of valid long term randomized double blind studies into diet is pretty fucking tricky. The best you can hope for is randomized really.
Dogmatic Pyrrhonist
AKA https://plus.google.com/u/0/105518842266362138077/about (google has decided my name isn't a 'real' name)

Dogmatic Pyrrhonist

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Paul G » Jul 14, 2011 9:11 pm

How do you know your low cholesterol isn't genetic?
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Apollonius » Jul 14, 2011 9:17 pm

Paul G wrote:How do you know your low cholesterol isn't genetic?

I'm not sure who you are asking. If you were responding to my statement that my HDL is high and LDL is low.. It was the other way around before I started Paleo. My HDL went way up, and LDL way down. This means it was not genetic.
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Paul G » Jul 14, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks, just asking.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Apollonius » Jul 14, 2011 9:20 pm

Dogmatic Pyrrhonist wrote:
Apollonius wrote:

Not too sure if this might be different in other places in the world, but in Aussie land that point is more;
2. Cholesterol can be lowered with drugs to prevent arterial blockages escalating into heart disease, for high risk patients.
You've made it sound like the medical profession wants to put everyone on cholesterol lowering drugs. AFAIK, those drugs are usually used when a high cholesterol level has been established in a patient having heart troubles.

Now, for the rest. Yes, but you don't go far enough.
The whole world's dietry knowledge is based on assorted BS. It comes down to choose your flavour of bullshit, and that will tell you which diet lie you want to listen to. It is an area that desperately needs some valid science. But there's so much money in spinning the various bullshits, that very few people want to start with tearing down the house of cards.
And, to be fair, conceiving of valid long term randomized double blind studies into diet is pretty fucking tricky. The best you can hope for is randomized really.

I didn't go into a lot of detail on purpose. The cholesterol theory that drives so many docs to use drugs on patients is not science based. There are no studies that prove this approach is valid. There is a good chapter in the book "Protein Power" that debunks this widespread myth that passes for science.
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Pebble » Jul 14, 2011 9:25 pm

The OP is pure bollocks. The evidence base behind reducing cholesterol is beyond doubt. The issue is that this is only proven for secondary prevention (after someone has had a heart attack or something similar). For primary prevention (in apparently healthy people) there are groups where the evidence is strong - though not necessarily overwhelming, and a belief that lower cholesterol is generally good - as your own story suggests you also believe.

In respect of animal fat - there there is evidence that where carbohydrates are controlled there may be little problem with animal fat intake - most people seem to omit the pivotal point there - AS LONG AS CORBOHYDRATE INTAKE IS CONTROLLED.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Apollonius » Jul 14, 2011 9:42 pm

Pebble wrote:The OP is pure bollocks. The evidence base behind reducing cholesterol is beyond doubt. ..

Explain what you mean and prove it.

:)
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Pebble » Jul 14, 2011 10:05 pm

Apollonius wrote:
Pebble wrote:The OP is pure bollocks. The evidence base behind reducing cholesterol is beyond doubt. ..

Explain what you mean and prove it.

:)

Enjoy:

http://www.nice.org.uk/TA094

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab007784.html

As I worte in primary prevention there are still questions to answer

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab004816.html

The evidence for various diets needs to be similarly considered - with the same level of criticism of methodology:

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002128.html
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Apollonius » Jul 14, 2011 11:20 pm

We have all been led to believe that cholesterol is bad and that lowering it is good. Because of extensive pharmaceutical marketing to both doctors and patients we think that using statin drugs is proven to work to lower the risk of heart attacks and death.

But on what scientific evidence is this based, what does that evidence really show?

Roger Williams once said something that is very applicable to how we commonly view the benefits of statins. "There are liars, damn liars, and statisticians."

We see prominent ads on television and in medical journals -- things like 36% reduction in risk of having a heart attack. But we don't look at the fine print. What does that REALLY mean and how does it affect decisions about who should really be using these drugs.

Before I explain that, here are some thought provoking findings to ponder.

• If you lower bad cholesterol (LDL) but have a low HDL (good cholesterol) there is no benefit to statins. (i)

• If you lower bad cholesterol (LDL) but don't reduce inflammation (marked by a test called C-reactive protein), there is no benefit to statins. (ii)

• If you are a healthy woman with high cholesterol, there is no proof that taking statins reduces your risk of heart attack or death. (iii)

• If you are a man or a woman over 69 years old with high cholesterol, there is no proof that taking statins reduces your risk of heart attack or death. (iv)

• Aggressive cholesterol treatment with two medications (Zocor and Zetia) lowered cholesterol much more than one drug alone, but led to more plaque build up in the arties and no fewer heart attacks. (v)

• 75% of people who have heart attacks have normal cholesterol

• Older patients with lower cholesterol have higher risks of death than those with higher cholesterol. (vi)

• Countries with higher average cholesterol than Americans such as the Swiss or Spanish have less heart disease.

• Recent evidence shows that it is likely statins' ability to lower inflammation it what accounts for the benefits of statins, not their ability to lower cholesterol.

So for whom do the statin drugs work for anyway? They work for people who have already had heart attacks to prevent more heart attacks or death. And they work slightly for middle-aged men who have many risk factors for heart disease like high blood pressure, obesity, or diabetes...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-h ... 90687.html
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Apollonius » Jul 14, 2011 11:32 pm

So what have we learned….I mean besides Drug companies will blanket the media with slick marketing trying to get everyone to buy and use their drugs every single day….well until they are actually held accountable for all they are doing to us in the meantime.
Cholesterol is not the bad guy as made out. Inflammation is a greater risk factor
Cholesterol is 80% made by the liver….doesn’t matter what you eat. If you eat less cholesterol then the body makes more. If you eat more cholesterol then the body makes less.
If your doctor says you need statins, ask him/her where the actual proof is that they do any good….there is none. If they still force you to take it….I might think about finding a new doctor who will work with your lifestyle changes instead. (of course I am no medical professional who can judge your real risk factors so you can’t listen to me…but from the looks of it above, are those doctor even aware of why they are giving out statins?)
Eating better foods and exercise seem to do more than statins to reduce risks for heart disease
If we stopped spending billions of dollars on cholesterol related medical visits and procedure, and put it to educating people about what is really going on….we could probably help millions (but there is no financial gain for any company for that).
Low Fat/High Carb diets make more smaller dense dangerous cholesterol particles (so we can thank the whole eat “low fat” advice over the last few decades as a role in increasing heart diseases)
Statins make us sick and dumber….all to prevent something it hasn’t been proven to help for most all people. How is this legally on the market?
Cholesterol goes up when the body is under stress (including inflammation, immmune system, toxins and chemicals in us, oxidative damamge, free radicals, etc). I know chronic joggers with high cholesterol who won’t listen to me when I say “stop jogging so much and eat less sugar”. But they would rather think their doctor knows it all. Sigh…..
Get your SLEEP….and stop stressing out all day. Lack of sleep and chronic stress leads to increased insulin resistance…high insulin…and all the fun things to come. Lifestyle is a huge factor…and if we choose to ignore this then we choose to make ourselves sicker.
Get rid of ALL vegetable oils….want a great way to cause cell membrane destruction? Increase your consumption of unstable and easily oxidized fats (PUFAs). Eat more “stable” Sat and MUFA (monounsat fats).
High Insulin drives MORE cholesterol production!!!! Focus on what matters, insulin control!!!! How do we do that? Well high insulin levels are usually a result of insulin resistance brought on by high blood sugar (from eating/drinking too much processed/easily broken down carbs and sugar and also a lack of protein with meals to slow down gastric emptying). Best ways to reverse the damage, eat less sugar and processed carbs to keep blood sugar stable, eat more proteins/healthy fats/whole food carbs like fruits and vegetables, and exercise to improve insulin sensitivity. Hands down the best way to get better! HyperInsulinia (chronic high insulin levels) could be the #1 risk factor for most ALL diseases.

http://www.theiflife.com/statins-lower-cholesterol/
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jul 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Does that mean you have no evidence to counter the research presented by pebble?
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#15  Postby Shrunk » Jul 15, 2011 12:23 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:Does that mean you have no evidence to counter the research presented by pebble?

Whaddaya mean "no evidence"? He cited the Huffington Post! That's got way more readers than any Cochrane review. How could it be on the internet if it isn't the truth?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Shrunk » Jul 15, 2011 12:24 am

Apollonius wrote:
Paul G wrote:How do you know your low cholesterol isn't genetic?

I'm not sure who you are asking. If you were responding to my statement that my HDL is high and LDL is low.. It was the other way around before I started Paleo. My HDL went way up, and LDL way down. This means it was not genetic.

Come again?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Grace » Jul 15, 2011 12:44 am

A person should eat only enough calories to support life and replace calories burned in work and play.

A combination of the Mediterranean diet and Asian diet is the best in the world. These people live longer than anyone else. Americans are the most unhealthy right now. 70% are over-weight, and all morbidly obese adults will be dead in 10 or 15 years. That's a lot of people. Add cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, and inactivity the death rate will happen a lot sooner.

A good diet is not complicated.

Dinner example:
-- one half of an 8 inch plate should contain leafy greens and vegetables (go easy on the dressing, cheese, and croutons).
-- the other half of the plate should be divided up into one thirds.
-- 1/3 should be 3-4 ounces of baked white meat or fish
-- 1/3 should be 4 ounces of fresh fruit (not canned).
-- 1/3 should be whole grain, nuts, and beans.
Fluids:
-- one glass of water, tea, coffee, diet pop, or milk with every meal.
Alcohol:
-- sparingly
Sweets:
-- rarely
Beef:
-- two ounces once a month
Grace

Print view this post

#18  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jul 15, 2011 12:50 am

Excessive consumption of any fat can cause heart disease. Lots of fats are far more dangerous than animal fats. None of them are dangerous if they're not consumed in excess.

I've only heard the claim "animal products = heart disease" from people arguing vgetarianism is healthier than any omnivorous diet.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Apollonius » Jul 15, 2011 1:26 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:Does that mean you have no evidence to counter the research presented by pebble?

Read it yourself!
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby Apollonius » Jul 15, 2011 1:28 am

Grace wrote:A person should eat only enough calories to support life and replace calories burned in work and play.

A combination of the Mediterranean diet and Asian diet is the best in the world. These people live longer than anyone else. Americans are the most unhealthy right now. 70% are over-weight, and all morbidly obese adults will be dead in 10 or 15 years. That's a lot of people. Add cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, and inactivity the death rate will happen a lot sooner.

A good diet is not complicated.

Dinner example:
-- one half of an 8 inch plate should contain leafy greens and vegetables (go easy on the dressing, cheese, and croutons).
-- the other half of the plate should be divided up into one thirds.
-- 1/3 should be 3-4 ounces of baked white meat or fish
-- 1/3 should be 4 ounces of fresh fruit (not canned).
-- 1/3 should be whole grain, nuts, and beans.
Fluids:
-- one glass of water, tea, coffee, diet pop, or milk with every meal.
Alcohol:
-- sparingly
Sweets:
-- rarely
Beef:
-- two ounces once a month

That's not too bad, but whole grain is a subject in itself. If you meant rice, no big deal. If you meant wheat, big problem. Wheat is linked to many problems due to inflammation, and you don't have to have celiac's to experience this.
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking