Any other theists or religious folks out there?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Any other theists or religiosu folks out there?

#21  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 01, 2010 10:07 am

jerome wrote:
obscured by clouds wrote:

I opposed your nomination for modship on rd.net when I was an Admin. This was not personal of course, but I did not think a theist would be appropriate, even though if there was one it would be you, I was wrong to oppose. Sorry. Never had a chance to say that to you.

Hey OBC: yes I knew, but never minded at all. I think it was September 08, and I was as usual up to my neck in twenty threads, having fun. Trying to find my way round i typed "jerome" one morning to search to see where I had been summoned - ad found thread in which it was mentioned why I was not a suitable mod. :) I was going to reply and say "yeah atheist communities should be run by atheists, for obvious reasons", when I realised i was in the mod section.

I rather regret that my action instead was to pm every mod on the site and tell them that something had gone wrong and the mod section was visible to all members. Some of you may remember that morning. It might have been funny to just leave t and see how long before everyone worked out that they could see the mods, and of course the mods might not have noticed because they were by definition used to seeing that sub-forum!

Anyway I still think you had a valid point: and I still don't think I'm cut out for modding. I honestly don't feel that I personally have the qualities needed, and that is NOT false modesty: I'm just not so keen on being asked to be an authority figure, especially not on a site where i represent almost by definition "the enemy": well the enemy to the anti-theists anyway. :)

Plus my ill health really is a n issue, as is my need to devote more time to getting back to finding employment, and keeping up with my academic work, such as it is.

Anyway no hard feelings at all: as I said, I always agreed with you, so it was never an issue, and I never take these thins personally. :)

j x

Sure, I knew what I said in the Staff threads and I am owning up to it since you were not there at the time. Until I said something it has felt like I talked behind your back and just wanted to make sure that I acknowledge what I said. This had nothing to do with you as a person but being a vocal, very cool, theist supporting hum er theism....on rd.net...it was not something I could agree with.

However my thoughts on that have changed, as you know we have a Muslim mod and I find myself having to defend her for no reasons, such as claims of bias, there is none. She has done nothing that could even vaguely be bias on the forum or chat. Such as "what a Muslim mod on Atheist chat, she is not qualified..<insert personal attacks here>". And of course there were none, not one example, they just assumed. I have argued for her numerous times and I find it offensive that someone would try to smear her not based on any evidence but because of her religion.

Something I will not be so quick to do again. And I was wrong, and if I had been more open you would have been on the staff a long time ago. I wanted to acknowledge my mistake and I have learned from it. I know you have more modships thrown at ya, but if any dry up I won't make that mistake that a theist can make a valuable member of a Staff in a community like this. I wish I could buy you a beer that would ease me, but this will have to do.
Last edited by obscured by clouds on Mar 01, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
OBC world summer tour! LA ~ May 8, Thrasho De Mayo / Saint Vitus ~ West Coast Tour, Seattle, Protland, SF, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas June 25 - July 1 / July 4th weekend LA / Scotland, Oct? / Come and say hi if you live near! (more TBA)
obscured by clouds

Name: Mr. Obscured By Clouds

Print view this post

#22  Postby Fallible » Mar 01, 2010 10:13 am

sanja wrote:
iamthereforeithink wrote:
Why would that be? Why would a theist have a conflict of interest but not an atheist? Both can choose to be either interested parties or disinterested parties. If you would tend to be biased to one side of the argument, an atheist might tend to be biased towards the other side.

good point.

It's probably because jerome might be taking part in discussions here a lot.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby MoonLit » Mar 01, 2010 12:32 pm

jerome wrote:I'm Jerome, an Anglican. Just want to make sure I greet every single believer, regardless of faith, and make sure you feel welcome and say I'll always be happy to chat if oyu have any issues drop me a pm (Same applies to atheists and agnostics of course!) . I used to have some advice for believer son RD.net but I lost it sadly, but basically, have fun!
So who do we have in the "people of faith" category?
j x

No, you're all alone here. We have you surrounded.

:lol:

jerome wrote:Stipe? Champion? I actually liked The Champion
j x

Oh gods, really? :yuk:
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby SpiritualNotReligius » Mar 01, 2010 3:41 pm

Hi Jerome,

I was Ramonda on RDF so you and I interacted quite a bit on trying to get people to understand how there was an atheist myth about Mithra :) I sure hope you had all of those references backed up in your own information. Your research was deeper than mine which was very good and yours was priceless.

I changed my name because it states rather clearly my theistic stand. I'm as liberal as they come when it comes to religion or lack of it. I say we all are divine humans but of course we all have occasions to be asses too. So there is no debate on religion in me because I see it as a very private relationship with one's concept of god and grouping it is good for common causes but not for dogmatic reasons.

I do jump in now and then when I see anti theists lumping everybody together or even blaming religion. I tend to see everything as human at the root. I equally speak out against extremists in religion suggesting that there is only one way or when someone wants to damn anybody. I believe in an afterlife but no hell :) We all just get to love like crazy :)

My name is mispelled because I was limited to 12 :) Seeing how you spelled it religiosu in the topic, I needn't worry about someone questioning my spelling anymore. Me thinks a lot won't notice :)

Ramonda
SpiritualNotReligius

Print view this post

#25  Postby LaMont Cranston » Mar 03, 2010 10:27 pm

Jerome, I was one of the theists who was a member of RDF. I was known as Dr. Robert Klass, but I have changed my name to LaMont Cranston, one of my favorite superheroes. I believe God exists, and I think Jesus was a very cool and righteous guy. On that other forum, I created a conceptual game called "The God Game" that I'm about to bring back to life over here. I have a set of beliefs that work for me, a "beyond a reasonable doubt case." While this is good enough for the legal systems of most countries that consider themselves to be civilized, I fully realize that science uses a different yardstick.

I look forward to being involved in stimulating discussions on this site. The Shadow knows...
LaMont Cranston
Banned User

Print view this post

#26  Postby angelo » Mar 04, 2010 12:21 pm

I'm an atheist, yet I have read most of John Shelby Spong's books, including his claimed last which just arrived from Amazon last week titled.....Eternal Life: A New Vision, which judging from the covers [I've yet to start reading it as I was still reading] How To Lose A War which is another favourite subject of mine, war that is. :) Judging from the cover of John's new book eternal life is accomplished by what we leave behind when we die. We live on in the memories of our loved ones, a house we may have built, etc.
But I still find it fascinating how in the 21st century, when we know practically TOE, most people can still remain theists.

I would be very interested in reading here the reasons for this belief.
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Any other theists or religious folks out there?

#27  Postby statichaos » Mar 04, 2010 7:15 pm

Hey, Jerome, I'm a theist, but I think that you've probably figured that out by now. I'm pretty much in the "agnostic theist" camp, though. Been enjoying your threads so far.
statichaos

Print view this post

#28  Postby Sween » Mar 05, 2010 4:46 am

jerome wrote:I'm Jerome, an Anglican. Just want to make sure I greet every single believer, regardless of faith, and make sure you feel welcome and say I'll always be happy to chat if oyu have any issues drop me a pm (Same applies to atheists and agnostics of course!) . I used to have some advice for believer son RD.net but I lost it sadly, but basically, have fun!
So who do we have in the "people of faith" category?
j x

Hey Jerome, I was RichieDickins back at the old forum. Still a theist. Isn't this nice, everybody's here?
Sween

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Byron » Mar 05, 2010 7:12 am

jerome wrote:I'm Jerome, an Anglican.

Hi Jerome. :) Good to see an Anglican presence here. :mrgreen:

I'm agnostic, but could be fairly described as a cultural Christian, and I regularly attend low church 1662 prayerbook services. Visit smells & bells high church services from time to time, into the bargain. (The priest is very generous with his wine afterwards!)
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby Loren Michael » Mar 07, 2010 7:49 pm

I'm a theist, but I'm not religious. At least, not as far as "religion" goes in the common parlance. I subscribe to an essentially non-mystical, non-(organized) religion worldview.
Loren Michael

Name: Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#31  Postby MS2 » Mar 07, 2010 7:56 pm

Loren Michael wrote:I'm a theist, but I'm not religious. At least, not as far as "religion" goes in the common parlance. I subscribe to an essentially non-mystical, non-(organized) religion worldview.

A deist then?

Or does your deity have some kind of involvement in the world now?
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby ModusPonens » Mar 07, 2010 10:05 pm

Hey Jerome :) I'm Episcopal.
irrational skeptic
ModusPonens

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism