Atheists, why should God provide evidence for His existence?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Atheists, why should God provide evidence for His existe

#981  Postby tnjrp » Apr 13, 2010 9:17 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:So a creator could be Natural selection or chemical selection then
But why spell it with a capital "C" if it was one, the other, or both of those? The Language being English (or thereabouts), not German :scratch:
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#982  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 13, 2010 9:22 am

tnjrp wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:So a creator could be Natural selection or chemical selection then
But why spell it with a capital "C" if it was one, the other, or both of those? The Language being English (or thereabouts), not German :scratch:

Spelling Nazi! :evilgrin: :lol: :lol: :lol:

natural Selection! :grin: :grin:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#983  Postby Moonwatcher » Apr 13, 2010 9:35 am

Moonwatcher said: I would propose that propositions for which no evidence exists are not exactly equal.

Seth said: Now you have to explain why your proposition is true. Here, I think, is a place for an expert in math and probability to chime in to answer the question "what are the relative probabilities of truth for a series of propositions for which no evidence exists?"

No answer?

Just a quick note on this part for now. Since your premise is 'propositions for which NO evidence exists', the mathematical probability of any one of them being true would be precisely the same as the mathematical probability of any other being true. This assumes there is genuinely no evidence. There are other factors a mathematician might or might not consider such as the sheer number of claims based upon no evidence that are included in any particular proposition.

Bertrand Russell answered this question nicely when he was asked if he thought there was zero chance that the biblical god really existed. Even though he felt there was no evidence that he would consider to be any evidence and there was serious evidence against the claims of the actions of this god, he said he would not go as far as to say that anything had an absolute zero chance of being true, at least mathematically though the practical level was another story. Regardless of the lack of evidence for and the evidence against, there was still a remote chance it could be true. It was exactly the same chance as it might be that the 12 Olympians were sitting on their mountain. In the purest mathematical sense, it isn't impossible as in a remote fraction of a percent chance it could be true but it is so remote that on the practical level it isn't worth bothering with.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#984  Postby tnjrp » Apr 13, 2010 9:56 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:Spelling Nazi!
Not really, just wondering about if there is an implication of something involved. And anyway I'm more of a Grammar Fascist :plot:
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#985  Postby z8000783 » Apr 13, 2010 9:58 am

tnjrp wrote:
Not really, just wondering about if there is an implication of something involved. And anyway I'm more of a Grammar Fascist :plot:

Well at least they got the Trains running on time.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#986  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 13, 2010 10:02 am

tnjrp wrote:

Hmmm, why Do we wooory aboot speelling ande grammer :ask:

Maybe to prevent language from evolving too fast :ask:

Hmmm, so DB is the variation generator and tnjrp the purifying selector? Hmm, where have I seen that before :ask:

I know, artificial selection! But there is natural selection as well. :thumbup:

Therefore, for imaginary sky daddy to be believed, he has to provide evidence for his existence, else baby-eating atheists will be impressed with evolution because of its evidence.

Cod ZERO

Evilootion- atheist- devilry ONE! :lol: :lol:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#987  Postby tnjrp » Apr 13, 2010 10:26 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:Hmmm, so DB is the variation generator and tnjrp the purifying selector? Hmm, where have I seen that before :ask:
:priest:
I have no idea but I do believe you mistook my original meaning. I'm wondering about why rainbow (spelled in lower case BTW) writes Creator (and Religion, incidentally) with upper case intial letter -- I don't think that's an error, the author being rainbow -- and how, if in any way, that would work with your "[cC]reator is 'natural selection' (spelled any which way)" suggestion.
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#988  Postby Alan C » Apr 13, 2010 11:25 am

tnjrp wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:Hmmm, so DB is the variation generator and tnjrp the purifying selector? Hmm, where have I seen that before :ask:
:priest:
I have no idea but I do believe you mistook my original meaning. I'm wondering about why rainbow (spelled in lower case BTW) writes Creator (and Religion, incidentally) with upper case intial letter -- I don't think that's an error, the author being rainbow -- and how, if in any way, that would work with your "[cC]reator is 'natural selection' (spelled any which way)" suggestion.

:sherlock:
:popcorn:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#989  Postby rainbow » Apr 13, 2010 11:42 am

z8000783 wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Why call it god then? We have already decided a definition for god and god has to be supernatural.

I prefer the term Creator.....

As a label for what exactly'?

John

Read it in context.
general-faith/atheists-why-should-god-provide-evidence-for-his-existence-t3667-970.html#p128572
Kill the Wise One!
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155419

"Það er ekki til betri tími en núna til að fresta"
rainbow
Banned User

Name: Señor Moderato

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#990  Postby z8000783 » Apr 13, 2010 11:48 am

rainbow wrote:
z8000783 wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Why call it god then? We have already decided a definition for god and god has to be supernatural.

John

Read it in context.
general-faith/atheists-why-should-god-provide-evidence-for-his-existence-t3667-970.html#p128572

I did but I am still not clear what you mean by 'creator'.

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

Atheists, why should God provide evidence for His existence?

#991  Postby rainbow » Apr 13, 2010 12:25 pm

z8000783 wrote:
rainbow wrote:
z8000783 wrote:
rainbow wrote:

John

Read it in context.

John

Like a god, but not necessarily supernatural.
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#992  Postby rEvolutionist » Apr 13, 2010 12:43 pm

tnjrp wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:But anyway, I hear what you are saying. The problem is, how can our minds, grounded in a finite reality, naturally conceptualise such an idea? To me, this is the very definition of supernatural.
Arguing from personal incredulity, I find it extremely hard to conceptualize a 4-dimensional object. Should I consign the timelike dimension to the realm of the supernatural because of this?

Maybe a fair point. But it's still not evoking the same weirdness in my head as infinity does. I suspect that might be because we can experimentally test for a 4th dimension, whereas we can never test for infinity (and that's not because of lack of technology, it is because of the very definition of infinity).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#993  Postby z8000783 » Apr 13, 2010 12:49 pm

rainbow wrote:
z8000783 wrote:
rainbow wrote:
z8000783 wrote:
rainbow wrote:

John

Read it in context.

John

Like a god, but not necessarily supernatural.

In what way specifically, is it like a God and which God in particular. What sort of things can it do?

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#994  Postby byofrcs » Apr 13, 2010 1:11 pm

1/0

:o
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#995  Postby rEvolutionist » Apr 13, 2010 1:17 pm

byofrcs wrote:1/0

Not sure whether you are suggesting that is a test for infinity, or whether you are just having a bit of fun. I'll go with the later unless you say otherwise.... :smoke:
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#996  Postby rainbow » Apr 13, 2010 1:18 pm

z8000783 wrote:In what way specifically, is it like a God and which God in particular. What sort of things can it do?

That would be more like the Deist 'god' in particular.
A Creator creates stuff.
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#997  Postby Mr P » Apr 13, 2010 1:31 pm

rainbow wrote:
z8000783 wrote:In what way specifically, is it like a God and which God in particular. What sort of things can it do?

A Creator creates stuff.

How does the creator come into existence?
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine and I can know much more!
Brother Cavil, BSG
Mr P

Male

England (eng)

Birthday
Print view this post

#998  Postby z8000783 » Apr 13, 2010 1:32 pm

rainbow wrote:

A Creator creates stuff.

Is that it?

Where does it stop creating. at the Big Bang or later?

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#999  Postby byofrcs » Apr 13, 2010 2:48 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:
byofrcs wrote:1/0

Not sure whether you are suggesting that is a test for infinity, or whether you are just having a bit of fun. I'll go with the later unless you say otherwise.... :smoke:

With computer programs you test if the denominator is zero before you divide. Effectively testing to avoid infinity.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1000  Postby IanS » Apr 13, 2010 2:49 pm

rainbow wrote:

A Creator creates stuff.

Where did the deist god come from?

How did a deist god create the universe? What did he actually do?

If you don't have a scientifically credible detailed answer to those questions, then the suggestion of any deist god (or any unexplained god) is just a "place holder " equivalent to admitting you have no idea what you yourself are proposing.

Ian.

!
MODNOTE
Continued at: general-faith/atheists-why-should-god-provide-evidence-for-his-existence-t5027.html
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism