God

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: God

#201  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 05, 2016 9:29 am

Sendraks wrote:Jamest makes claims to knowledge, but he can't show what he knows.

The spoon that can be bent is not the true spoon. Tell me that isn't jamest's filosofeezing in a nutshell.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#202  Postby angelo » Oct 05, 2016 10:02 am

angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#203  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 05, 2016 10:19 am

That's not an argument, angelo. It's a website you found on the internet and cited, which means you're not alone in accepting that definition. If you're happy with not being alone, instead of being an individual, and making your own arguments, well, that's nothing new.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#204  Postby Agrippina » Oct 05, 2016 10:25 am

I do wish people wouldn't spell atheist with an uppercase initial. It's not a name. It's a concept, like vegetarian, or knitter. Giving it an initial capital makes it into a "thing", which it isn't.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#205  Postby Fallible » Oct 05, 2016 10:54 am

Sorry, what's the point of this?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#206  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 05, 2016 11:09 am

Agrippina wrote:I do wish people wouldn't spell atheist with an uppercase initial. It's not a name. It's a concept, like vegetarian, or knitter. Giving it an initial capital makes it into a "thing", which it isn't.

It is a way of trying to turn it into a religion.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#207  Postby Agrippina » Oct 05, 2016 11:14 am

That was on the website Angelo linked to. You'd think atheists themselves would think about what they're doing.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#208  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 05, 2016 11:14 am

Agrippina wrote:I do wish people wouldn't spell atheist with an uppercase initial. It's not a name. It's a concept, like vegetarian, or knitter. Giving it an initial capital makes it into a "thing", which it isn't.

Why do you wish people would treat the orthography in a particular manner? You're entitled to your own preferences, but it appears as if you also want to make 'atheism' a proprietary term. To some people, it's a concept; to others it's a 'thing', that is, a political 'movement'. That makes it almost useless as either a concept or as a term. And especially as a political 'movement'.

Agrippina wrote:You'd think atheists themselves would think about what they're doing.

Why would you think that? You might wish it, but that's another story. A political one. There is, in fact, nothing about a lack of belief in deities certifying that a person wishes to think about what he or she is doing. One can dismiss belief in deities with malice aforethought, simply by finding the concept inconvenient.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#209  Postby angelo » Oct 05, 2016 11:31 am

I never use uppercase initial for the word atheism, or atheist. In fact I hate using uppercase initial for god, christianity or Islam. Why use uppercase to describe an ideology!
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#210  Postby Fallible » Oct 05, 2016 11:40 am

Because of proper nouns. You know, grammar.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#211  Postby Agrippina » Oct 05, 2016 2:09 pm

angelo wrote:

I never use uppercase initial for the word atheism, or atheist. In fact I hate using uppercase initial for god, christianity or Islam. Why use uppercase to describe an ideology!

It's not "describing an ideology". God is a character in a story, and like all characters in stories, his name gets an initial capital. There's nothing special that makes me want to give him special treatment.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#212  Postby angelo » Oct 05, 2016 3:24 pm

I realize it's bad grammer. I show my disrespect for the followers and their cults by using lower case initials when naming them. My way of protest against them even though it's wrong.
:snooty:
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#213  Postby LucidFlight » Oct 05, 2016 4:59 pm

angelo wrote:I realize it's bad grammer. I show my disrespect for the followers and their cults by using lower case initials when naming them. My way of protest against them even though it's wrong.

I used to do the same. Nowadays, however, I see more value in correct grammar and spelling than protesting.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#214  Postby Fallible » Oct 05, 2016 7:14 pm

angelo wrote:I realize it's bad grammer.

:?

So when you said 'why use upper case to describe an ideology', what you meant was 'I know why one should use upper case to describe an ideology'.

I show my disrespect for the followers and their cults by using lower case initials when naming them. My way of protest against them even though it's wrong.

So you want to show them that they're so insignificant to you that you're prepared to alter the very structure and rules of the English language for them. Makes sense.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#215  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 05, 2016 8:10 pm

Not capitalising proper nouns simply because one disproves of the ideology in question is just silly
The rules of grammar are not supposed to be freely interpreted. They are there to be adhered to
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#216  Postby BlackBart » Oct 05, 2016 8:38 pm

angelo wrote:I realize it's bad grammer. I show my disrespect for the followers and their cults by using lower case initials when naming them. My way of protest against them even though it's wrong.

Wow. That showed 'em.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#217  Postby jamest » Oct 05, 2016 10:11 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Not capitalising proper nouns simply because one disproves of the ideology in question is just silly
The rules of grammar are not supposed to be freely interpreted. They are there to be adhered to

You can't miss a couple of full-stops when you're having a go about someone's grammar. Have a word. :lol:
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#218  Postby LucidFlight » Oct 05, 2016 10:38 pm

I would also say that, as much as one would like to disprove an ideology, disapproval is probably easier to express.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#219  Postby angelo » Oct 06, 2016 2:28 am

Fallible wrote:
angelo wrote:I realize it's bad grammer.

:?

So when you said 'why use upper case to describe an ideology', what you meant was 'I know why one should use upper case to describe an ideology'.

I show my disrespect for the followers and their cults by using lower case initials when naming them. My way of protest against them even though it's wrong.

So you want to show them that they're so insignificant to you that you're prepared to alter the very structure and rules of the English language for them. Makes sense.

Makes no sense to you, but I just cannot bring myself to use the correct protocols !
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#220  Postby LucidFlight » Oct 06, 2016 3:07 am

Argh! A space before the exclamation mark! There is no god! :whine:

What next? Guillemets?
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism