Lawrence Krauss vs William Lane Craig

"Has science buried god?" Debate/Discussion in Brisbane on August 7th, 2013

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Lawrence Krauss vs William Lane Craig

#141  Postby Blackadder » Nov 24, 2013 7:54 pm

pelfdaddy wrote:Blackadder and Metatron,

The only thing I ever contribute to this forum is the perspective of a former preacher. My ignorance of both science and formal logic are ill-concealed, and force me to aim at a broader objective. While I love coming here to read, I am unqualified to chime in very often. When I do, I am always treated with kindness and indulgence. So, while I thank you for the Orson, I am embarrassed to accept. I'll sit down now so the rest of you can actually talk this out.

Your modesty is admirable but your perspective is valuable and contributes much. Especially in pointing out the obfuscatory wibble that is the stock in trade of self-declared theological sophisticates like Mick. Sometimes the simplest criticism is the most deadly, especially against those who, enthralled by their own cleverness, float their airborne castles aloft and employ elusion and sophistry to deny the absence of foundations. To put it another way, you don't need a degree in science to smell bullshit, just a good nose.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#142  Postby Calilasseia » Nov 24, 2013 7:59 pm

pelfdaddy wrote:Those who have moved in evangelical circles are aware of the purpose of WLC's apologetics. It is the broad scope he is after, and that within his own family of brethren. It is not persuasion of skeptics that Craig aims to accomplish, but the encouragement of believers. One should ask why this is necessary. But then we know the answer; even believers know their beliefs arise out of a well of ill-defined, privately cherished reasons founded on tradition, loyalty, anecdotes, personal experience and emotion. The encroachment of empirical inquiry into that precious personal space causes great worry in the pulpit and pew alike. Craig is defending the faith of the faithful in the arena of dogma, not seeking the truth in the laboratory of hypotheses.

The reason Craig's arguments are so thoroughly structured on word games and false distinctions is because it confuses his Christian listeners into thinking that a real champion of reason is on their side. It also allows him to fling multiple assertions at his opponents, adequate rebuttals to which are beyond the time constraints of the format. He thus claims victory based on a rigid scoring system; demonstrating to atheists that formal debates are a terrible means of arriving at supportable conclusions, and demonstrating to Christians that "William Lane Craig Has Never Lost A Debate With An Atheist", which encourages them to keep on believing and to purchase his fictional non-fiction.

It should be clear that Mick and Bill Craig are both engaged in the act of playing this game. When these guys claim that science supports their beliefs, they depend upon the ignorance of most of their intended audience. When it is pointed out to them that these beliefs are unfalsifiable, they claim, "Exactly! which is why science cannot pronounce upon them". The actual state of affairs is that, if they are unfalsifiable, then science has ALREADY pronounced upon them.

The shame of all this is that the resultant smoke screen obscures the target upon which we should really be drawing this bead; that every religious organization is engaged in actively defrauding its members and the general public, that Christianity in the West is particularly culpable in its terrorizing and abusing of children, that evangelical churches are fleecing both their congregants and surrounding communities for billions of dollars while producing nothing of value. If the Roman Catholic Church (as frightfully embarrassing as is its past) were investigated as thoroughly as it ought to be for its current crimes, our planet would be shed of one more filthy encumbrance. If the claims of drug manufacturers were as well supported as those of our many churches and church leaders, they would face class-action lawsuits and their executives would be incarcerated.

Never forget: Christianity is a business.

Mick and Bill C. are merely attempting to protect the source of income that keeps these worthless shit bags afloat on their scum-covered pond of lies and coercion.

Saved for posterity on my hard drive. A superb exposé of the duplicity of supernaturalist apologetics in general, as well as specific sources thereof. I wish I'd written this myself.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#143  Postby Shrunk » Nov 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Isophocles wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
You just contradicted yourself there. First you say "every causal chain of events known to science has a primary cause". But then you admit that that QM demonstrates this is not a case, and try to handwave that away by saying "There could still be a cause that we have not yet identified."

You misread what I wrote. I said that where there exists a "causal chain of events",i.e where are there identified causes, there always exists some primary cause that explains all the subsequent and secondary causes and their effects.

So your argument is now "Everything has a cause, except when it doesn't have a cause. Therefore, everything has a cause"? :crazy:

In quantum mechanics, the cause of an effect is not always obvious, or may be probabilistic rather than deterministic, and so it cannot be placed in any causal chain. So what I have said is entirely consistent with both scientific observation and reason.

So the coming into existence of the universe could be one of those things that "cannot be placed in a causal chain." It seems you have no argument at all.

Apart from betraying an ignorance of the relevant science, you've just rendered invalid your first argument. If whenever we find something that is uncaused, you're just going to say "It still has a cause. You just don't know what it is yet", then it is useless to assert that everything we observe has a cause. What you're really saying is "Everything has a cause, even when there is no evidence whatsoever for that cause. Therefore, everything has a cause." IOW, you're just begging the question.

The "indeterminancy" of events at the quantum level is really only a way of saying we don't know the deterministic mechanisms or do not have the ability to identify and detect them. If we give up looking for these causes, as you suggest, then we accept the existence of magic at the atomic level and science ceases being an attempt to explain phenomena.

I think you're misunderstanding the science here. My understanding is that acausality is not just an argument from the gaps. It is a positive theory that best explains the observed data. But I'll leave that for the more astute to confirm.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#144  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 24, 2013 8:18 pm

Isophocles wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Show that it does. Merely asserting it goes against science doesn't make it so.

Both science and logic are based on the principle that something cannot come from nothing.

Utter nonsense.
Science is based on falsification and empiricism. Logic isn't based on "something cannot come from nothing".
At least admit your pulling shit from your rectum.

Isophocles wrote:And it is a principle that has worked very well for both.

It isn't a principle of either.

Isophocles wrote:The moment we ignore this principle is the moment when we stop looking for natural causes and rational explanations.

More blind assertions. Demonstrate Isophocles not assert.

Isophocles wrote:If I found a penguin in my bedroom, I would look for a logical reason as to how it got there. I wouldn't just conclude it had popped into existence from nothing and leave it at that. This would be recourse to belief in magic.

Except this isn't what Krauss does and this is thus nothing more than a pathetic straw-man to hide the fact that you're appealing to personal incredulity.

Isophocles wrote:

1. This is an appeal to incredulity fallacy. Just because you can't imagine it doesn't mean it's impossible. It's like saying something as massive as an adult human being cannot have come from something as microscopic as sperm.
2. Read his book before you start about literally nothing.
3. You're still begging the question that there must be a reason for everything. Why can't certain things just be?

Krauss has frequently changed his mind.

1. Provide quotations.
2. Even if he did, that's irrelevant as long as his change of mind is based on evidence, which in this case it is.

Isophocles wrote:He refers to the quantum vacuum as a source of virtual particles, but then admits that it is not really nothing but a reservoir of energy.

Citations?
Also how are those two mutually exclusive?

Isophocles wrote:Now, he proposes that the universe did come out of literally nothing.

He proposes that it is a likely possibility.

Isophocles wrote:He used to suppose that the laws of physics explained the origin of the universe until he realized that they would have to exist prior to the existence of the physical universe which would be absurd.

More appeals to personal incredulity. You do realise that's fallacious?

Isophocles wrote:His argument really amounts to the fact that the the sum of the positive and negative energy present in the universe equals zero, consistent with an origin from nothing.

Citations?
And yes the total ammount of energy is zero or at least effectively so. Campermon has been trying to explain that to you in the other thread.

Isophocles wrote:
Except that it doesn't. As Craig postulates a special pleading first cause. He also ignores the possibility of an infinite chain of causes.

All known causal chains of events have a first cause.

Care to present some evidence for that instead of arguing from blind assertion?
What was the first cause of humanity?
Of gravity?

Isophocles wrote:All Craig does is say that the universe itself must have a first cause if it is established that the universe began to exist.

But:
A. This hasn't been established.
B. It's still a blind assertion.

Isophocles wrote:He doesn't ignore the argument of the the infinite chain of causes and the idea of an eternal universe.

No he dismisses them out of hand with vacuous wibbling about potential infinites and appeals to personal incredulity and ridicule.

Isophocles wrote:He responds that it is logically absurd

My point exactly. Just because something seems absurd to you and Craig doesn't mean it is or that it's impossible.
All you can Craig do is blindly assert it's absurd without providing evidence for that claim.

Isophocles wrote:(how could we get to the present if the past is endless and goes on forever?)

Relativity. Not that your question makes sense in the first place, what about an infinte past excludes the present?
Isophocles wrote:and that it doesn't actually explain the existence of causality in the series: It exists because it exists!

Still begging the question that everything has an explanation.
Why can't the universe and it's laws not just be?
Because you can't grasp that? Because it makes you feel uncomfortable? Though luck, the universe doesn't operate according to your whims and understanding.

Isophocles wrote:
Furthermore if you claim theology shouldn't be involved that only excludes Craig not Krauss.

I don't see why atheism has to deny the existence of an uncaused first cause since this fact dos not prove theism is true.

It doesn't. Atheism has nothing to with cosmology.
Isophocles wrote:All it means is that the universe came into being because of a cause that preceded its existence. That is science, not theology.

Excluding Craig from the debate since he offers nothing but theology wrapped in pseudo-philosophy.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#145  Postby pelfdaddy » Nov 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Cali,

Since you, Hack and several others on this forum were the principal cause of easing the birth pangs and midwifing my New Birth into non-belief (lo these [is it four? almost I think] years gone by), it is not inappropriate to say that you actually DID write that yourself.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#146  Postby Thommo » Nov 24, 2013 9:10 pm

Isophocles wrote:You misread what I wrote. I said that where there exists a "causal chain of events",i.e where there are identified causes, there always exists some primary cause that explains all the subsequent and secondary causes and their effects.

Now, there's an interesting claim. Can you give me an example of a causal chain where the first cause is anything other than the big bang? Because it does seem like every cause I can think of has an antecedent cause.
Thommo

Print view this post

#147  Postby Isophocles » Nov 25, 2013 12:21 am

Thommo wrote:
Now, there's an interesting claim. Can you give me an example of a causal chain where the first cause is anything other than the big bang? Because it does seem like every cause I can think of has an antecedent cause.

You would be right, of course (although the Big Bang is not its own cause). But you don't need to look for antcedent causes with respect to a specific causal chain. For example, the causal chain relating to getting my car engine running involves me first turning the ignition key. A series of mechanical causes and effects then ensues. I don't need to go beyond this "first" cause in the chain in order to explain how a car engine gets going.
Isophocles
Banned Sockpuppet

Name: Josh Bumble

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#148  Postby Isophocles » Nov 25, 2013 12:26 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Science is based on falsification and empiricism. Logic isn't based on "something cannot come from nothing".

Science, in its explanatory and predictive power, is based on the immutable law of cause and effect. Science seeks natural explanations for natural phenomena. Something spontaneously coming out of nothing, for no reason, is not an explanation.
Isophocles
Banned Sockpuppet

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#149  Postby Thommo » Nov 25, 2013 1:44 am

Isophocles wrote:
Thommo wrote:

You would be right, of course (although the Big Bang is not its own cause). But you don't need to look for antcedent causes with respect to a specific causal chain. For example, the causal chain relating to getting my car engine running involves me first turning the ignition key. A series of mechanical causes and effects then ensues. I don't need to go beyond this "first" cause in the chain in order to explain how a car engine gets going.

So, you can arbitrarily declare a specific cut off is the first cause, then use that as evidence for first causes? That doesn't seem to work.

If the claim is that we can look at other causal chains and see that they all have first causes (i.e. causes before which there is no other cause) then the fact that all these causal chains lead back to the same event that is being argued has a first cause seems... problematic at best.
Thommo

Print view this post

#150  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 25, 2013 8:42 am

Isophocles wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Science, in its explanatory and predictive power, is based on the immutable law of cause and effect.

Again science works based on falsification and empricism. It doesn't do reason, it does explanations.

Isophocles wrote: Science seeks natural explanations for natural phenomena.

And if a scientist can't find an explanation he/she says so. They don't chuck something out because they can't explain it.

Isophocles wrote:Something spontaneously coming out of nothing, for no reason, is not an explanation.

1. Still conflating reason with cause.
2. Still begging the question that the universe came into being and hasn't simply always existed.

Empericism and flasification are the prinicples of science not dogmatic statements like "Something cannot come from nothing" or "The earth is flat".

You're ignoring of my other points has been noted btw.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#151  Postby Newmark » Nov 25, 2013 10:15 am

Isophocles wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
You just contradicted yourself there. First you say "every causal chain of events known to science has a primary cause". But then you admit that that QM demonstrates this is not a case, and try to handwave that away by saying "There could still be a cause that we have not yet identified."

You misread what I wrote. I said that where there exists a "causal chain of events",i.e where there are identified causes, there always exists some primary cause that explains all the subsequent and secondary causes and their effects. In quantum mechanics, the cause of an effect is not always obvious, or may be probabilistic rather than deterministic, and so it cannot be placed in any causal chain. So what I have said is entirely consistent with both scientific observation and reason.

So if I were to say that the universe must have a cause that itself is uncaused, that would inconsistent with both scientific observation and reason, right?
Newmark

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Isophocles » Nov 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Newmark wrote:
So if I were to say that the universe must have a cause that itself is uncaused, that would inconsistent with both scientific observation and reason, right?

It would be entirely consistent with reason but only with observation in that the universe must have a cause.
Isophocles
Banned Sockpuppet

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#153  Postby Isophocles » Nov 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Shrunk wrote:
So your argument is now "Everything has a cause, except when it doesn't have a cause. Therefore, everything has a cause"? :crazy:

No. It is that all series of causes have a primary cause.

So the coming into existence of the universe could be one of those things that "cannot be placed in a causal chain." It seems you have no argument at all.

The coming into existence of a universe generates a causal chain of events. However, the cause of the universe is the first cause in that subsequent chain of events.

I think you're misunderstanding the science here. My understanding is that acausality is not just an argument from the gaps. It is a positive theory that best explains the observed data. But I'll leave that for the more astute to confirm.

No. It is an argument from ignorance. I don't know the cause of X, therefore it has no cause.
Isophocles
Banned Sockpuppet

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#154  Postby Rumraket » Nov 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Isophocles wrote:
Tero wrote:I really don't know why Craig gets all these gigs. Maybe he is the one chosen to speak eloquently? But he only ever had one argument: first cause.

Compared to Lawrence Krauss who insists that the universe did not only not have a first cause but that actually there is no cause to account for its origin. It just spontaneously popped into being from nothing. Now, which of the two positions is more logical and plausible, and which has more evidential support?

Lawrence Krauss insists no such thing, he suggests it as a hypothesis congruent with hitherto discovered facts of science. He's entirely open about it being wrong.

Misrepresentation noted.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#155  Postby Rumraket » Nov 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Isophocles wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Do you understand what the word possible means?
And again, he's probably talking about the current configuration of the universe.

He means that the universe did have a beginning - however far back it might have been - and that it arose from nothing without a cause.

He means that this is within the realm of possibility within scientifically discovered facts about the universe, if spacetime is itself subject to quantum fluctuations.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#156  Postby Isophocles » Nov 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Rumraket wrote:
Isophocles wrote:
Tero wrote:I really don't know why Craig gets all these gigs. Maybe he is the one chosen to speak eloquently? But he only ever had one argument: first cause.

Compared to Lawrence Krauss who insists that the universe did not only not have a first cause but that actually there is no cause to account for its origin. It just spontaneously popped into being from nothing. Now, which of the two positions is more logical and plausible, and which has more evidential support?

Lawrence Krauss insists no such thing, he suggests it as a hypothesis congruent with hitherto discovered facts of science. He's entirely open about it being wrong. Misrepresentation noted.

He has insisted that the universe could well have come into being from nothing without a cause and without any laws of physics.
Isophocles
Banned Sockpuppet

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#157  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Isophocles wrote:
Rumraket wrote:
Isophocles wrote:

Lawrence Krauss insists no such thing, he suggests it as a hypothesis congruent with hitherto discovered facts of science. He's entirely open about it being wrong. Misrepresentation noted.

He has insisted that the universe could well have come into being from nothing without a cause and without any laws of physics.

Still begging the question and not understanding what Krausse is actually postulating not insisting.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#158  Postby Rumraket » Nov 25, 2013 5:54 pm

Isophocles wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Neither. Krauss' position, however, is supported by science, while Craig's is by theological flapdoodle. if the question is ever answered, it is almost certainly to be by a scientist, not a theologian. In fact, theologians claim to have already answered the question, yet for some reason everyone (theologians included) are waiting for the scientists to weigh in with their answer.

Krauss' position goes against both science and logic by asserting that something as massive as an entire universe

Massive in relation to what, us? Why's that massive? Why should size even matter? Either something can emerge from nothing or it cannot, how big it is(how big is it?) doesn't seem to me to matter much here.

Isophocles wrote:... can arise out of literally nothing for no reason.

Actually logic doesn't say anything about this. Inductive generalization would lead us to believe that in the world we inhabit, entire universes don't just pop spontaneously into existence. But that might just be because there's already something here.

You seem to think the "laws and regularities of nature", or the "laws of logic" somehow really exist in some form or another independently from the entities they "govern". Would they also be around in absolute philosophical "non-being" to make sure it stays inert?

If there was truly "non-being", what could then prevent the spontaneous emergence of something?

Isophocles wrote:The fact that every causal chain of events known to science has a primary cause

We don't actually know that this is true. There are many physicists who have suggested quantum events might be fundamentally uncaused.

Isophocles wrote:lends credence to Craig's stance. Krauss also seems to think that the laws of quantum mechanics show that causes may not be necessary to produce effects.

And he's not the only one.

Isophocles wrote: That is spurious on two grounds: Firstly, we are not always in a position to know the exact cause of an event at the quantum level given the enormous number of factors involved. That doesn't mean there is no cause.

Neither does it mean there is one.

Isophocles wrote:Secondly, the very existence of the laws of quantum mechanics is only possible if something exists since these laws describe natural phenomena at the quantum level.

Yes, describe. That's the key word. They're descriptions of observed phenomena, we don't actually know that these "laws" actually exist in some form or another independently of the observed phenomenon.

Isophocles wrote:This is not a debate where theology should be involved, only science and reason.

I agree.

We know nothing about what can happen if there was really nothing, we don't have any "non-being" around to test if it's governed "laws about the prevention of the emergence of something".

I should note, I'm only arguing this position in principle. I don't actually agree with Krauss position, it's just that I think your objections are demonstrably question begging, if not inane.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#159  Postby Rumraket » Nov 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Isophocles wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Well, maybe he's wrong, and I'm right. I just think of this as the current version. Anyway, nobody really knows what 'nothing' looks like, as no one has ever seen it.

We know of "empty space" but that is not "nothing". Absolute nothingness is devoid of space, time, matter and energy. Hence, Krauss cannot assert that a universe can spontaneously emerge out of literally nothing when there isn't any "nothing".

Neither can you then declare that it can't.

See how that works?

Krauss suggestion is just that, a suggestion. You're not being asked to believe it on faith.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#160  Postby Rumraket » Nov 25, 2013 5:59 pm

Teuton wrote:
Isophocles wrote:
We know of "empty space" but that is not "nothing". Absolute nothingness is devoid of space, time, matter and energy. Hence, Krauss cannot assert that a universe can spontaneously emerge out of literally nothing when there isn't any "nothing".

With regard to the physical universe as a whole, "to emerge from/out of nothing" is to be read as "not to emerge from/out of anything", because emergence is always emergence of something from/out of something. That is, the emergence of an entity presupposes a pre-existent entity. If physical reality is the whole of reality and has a temporal beginning, then one cannot consistently call its beginning the moment when it emerged or arose out of nothing. The beginning of the universe cannot even be properly called an event, because an event is a temporal transition from an earlier state of affairs to a later state of affairs, and there being nothing is not a possible state of affairs obtaining prior to there being something.

This I agree with. Here me and Teuton's positions are more or less identical.

There can't have been a transition from "nothing" into "something", because if time has an ultimate beginning, there can't have been a time before time itself, so there can't ever have been a time when there was "nothing". That means the univers always existed, even if time is finite into the past. This view supposes time itself is a property of the universe of course, which it must be, otherwise there wouldn't have been nothing before the universe, since time still existed. There's no way out of this conondrum. That means we don't need a first cause to put the universe into existence, because there was never a time when it didn't exist. There cannot ever have been nothing in the first place.
Rumraket

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism