Non-theists - why should I not believe?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Non-theists - why should I not believe?

#1  Postby jerome » Mar 03, 2010 2:31 am

Not a parody thread - I'm always happy to listen to good reasoned arguments!

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Re: Non-theists - why should I not believe?

#2  Postby keypad5 » Mar 03, 2010 2:44 am

*crickets chirping* :shifty:
keypad5

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby atrasicarius » Mar 03, 2010 2:46 am

No evidence?
The only things that are infinite are the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.
Einstein

In a society that has abolished all adventures, the only adventure left is to abolish society.
The Black Iron Prison
atrasicarius

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby elroywillis » Mar 03, 2010 2:50 am

jerome wrote:Not a parody thread - I'm always happy to listen to good reasoned arguments!

j x

Does your belief include the idea that mankind was once immortal and that we die because of the sin of Adam and Eve?

If it does, then I have a bunch more questions for you. If it doesn't, then why are you a believer?
elroywillis

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby keypad5 » Mar 03, 2010 2:51 am

On a more serious note from me, you probably already don't believe in numerous supernatural entities, which makes me wonder about the consistency of your incredulity.
keypad5

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby jerome » Mar 03, 2010 2:56 am

keypad5 wrote:On a more serious note from me, you probably already don't believe in numerous supernatural entities, which makes me wonder about the consistency of your incredulity.

I believe in more supernatural entities than you might imagine: and a lot of paranormal ones too. I'm Jerome, I really do believe six impossible things before breakfast. Zeus? sure! Ghosts! Yep! Fairies - absolutely! and so forth :) (In fact I got a good ten pages out of Zeus alone on the JREF).

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby jerome » Mar 03, 2010 2:57 am

elroywillis wrote:
jerome wrote:Not a parody thread - I'm always happy to listen to good reasoned arguments!

j x

Does your belief include the idea that mankind was once immortal and that we die because of the sin of Adam and Eve?

If it does, then I have a bunch more questions for you. If it doesn't, then why are you a believer?

Nope, I don't believe that, if you mean did it happen like that. I don't think the Archbishop of Canterbury or the Pope believes that either, and I don't doubt they believe in God? :)

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby atrasicarius » Mar 03, 2010 2:58 am

I would take this thread more seriously if it wasnt you, Jerome XD
The only things that are infinite are the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.
Einstein

In a society that has abolished all adventures, the only adventure left is to abolish society.
The Black Iron Prison
atrasicarius

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re:

#9  Postby jerome » Mar 03, 2010 2:58 am

atrasicarius wrote:No evidence?

Plenty of evidence. Ridiculous amounts? It's quality not quantity with evidence. Once can find evidence for almost any assertion, no matter how bat shit crazy it is. I could spend all night showing you evidence for the Hopskinville Goblins or Bigfoot or RD's integrity or all manner of improbable things :grin:

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Re:

#10  Postby jerome » Mar 03, 2010 3:00 am

atrasicarius wrote:I would take this thread more seriously if it wasnt you, Jerome XD

I take guerilla ontology seriously:my existence challenges orthodoxies, nothing more is required. :) (for those not familiar with the term - http://everything2.com/title/Guerilla+ontology ) However note that does not mean I am not exactly what I say Iam - I am (Anglican, Ghosthunter, Woo-id, Sceptic, Rationalist ) - it's just that seems to unsetlle some people.

j x
Last edited by jerome on Mar 03, 2010 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby elroywillis » Mar 03, 2010 3:00 am

jerome wrote:
elroywillis wrote:Does your belief include the idea that mankind was once immortal and that we die because of the sin of Adam and Eve?

Nope, I don't believe that, if you mean did it happen like that. I don't think the Archbishop of Canterbury or the Pope believes that either, and I don't doubt they believe in God? :)

j x

Lemme guess... You don't even believe Jesus died for the sins of man either?
elroywillis

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby keypad5 » Mar 03, 2010 3:04 am

jerome wrote:
keypad5 wrote:On a more serious note from me, you probably already don't believe in numerous supernatural entities, which makes me wonder about the consistency of your incredulity.

I believe in more supernatural entities than you might imagine: and a lot of paranormal ones too. I'm Jerome, I really do believe six impossible things before breakfast. Zeus? sure! Ghosts! Yep! Fairies - absolutely! and so forth :) (In fact I got a good ten pages out of Zeus alone on the JREF).

j x

oops, my bad with the assumption. :)
keypad5

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 03, 2010 3:05 am

The only real reason not to believe is lack of evidence/adequate arguments in favour of it. So the only way we can convince you not to believe would be to address the arguments that convince you to believe.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Re:

#14  Postby atrasicarius » Mar 03, 2010 3:05 am

jerome wrote:
atrasicarius wrote:I would take this thread more seriously if it wasnt you, Jerome XD

I take guerilla ontology seriously:my existence challenges orthodoxies, nothing more is required. :) (for those not familiar with the term - http://everything2.com/title/Guerilla+ontology ) However note that does not mean I am not exactly what I say Iam - I am (Anglican, Ghosthunter, Woo-id, Sceptic, Rationalist ) - it's just that seems to unsetlle some people.

j x

"Sometimes I take humor seriously. Sometimes I take seriousness humorously. Either way it is irrelevant."
Mal2
Einstein

The Black Iron Prison
atrasicarius

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby jerome » Mar 03, 2010 3:08 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:The only real reason not to believe is lack of evidence/adequate arguments in favour of it. So the only way we can convince you not to believe would be to address the arguments that convince you to believe.

Excellent point :) The problem is I don't have any. I used to not believe, and then one day I did. I can't say when it happened, how it happened, or really make a defining point. I have the same problem with the other thread "why should i believe?" I don't know why anyone doesn't -- I'm just pretty honest about it. I don't think it's actually a choice: I never assented to a set o propositions and suddenly found that God was the outcome :)

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby jerome » Mar 03, 2010 3:08 am

elroywillis wrote:
Lemme guess... You don't even believe Jesus died for the sins of man either?

Yep, I do believe that :) But then we have to understand what we mean by sin!

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 03, 2010 3:11 am

jerome wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:The only real reason not to believe is lack of evidence/adequate arguments in favour of it. So the only way we can convince you not to believe would be to address the arguments that convince you to believe.

Excellent point :) The problem is I don't have any. I used to not believe, and then one day I did. I can't say when it happened, how it happened, or really make a defining point. I have the same problem with the other thread "why should i believe?" I don't know why anyone doesn't -- I'm just pretty honest about it. I don't think it's actually a choice: I never assented to a set o propositions and suddenly found that God was the outcome :)

j x

Do you believe you're just naturally that way inclined then? That some people have a predisposition to believe in something bigger, irrespective of any rational basis? Kinda like how you just like certain music, and once you've decided in your own mind you prefer one band to another, you can intellectualise it by banging on about song structure and production values, but essentially, it's just a feeling you have?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Viraldi » Mar 03, 2010 3:13 am

jerome wrote: Excellent point. The problem is I don't have any.

Then you shouldn't believe. Thread closed? :dance:
AE wrote:“The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change this.”
Viraldi

Philippines (ph)
Print view this post

#19  Postby jerome » Mar 03, 2010 3:13 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Do you believe you're just naturally that way inclined then? That some people have a predisposition to believe in something bigger?

Nope. I am without a doubt naturally predisposed towards atheism: I found the notion of God ridiculous at a very early age as early as I could think about it. I remained like that for a very large part of my life. I could no more believe in God than I could deny gravity. That changed, and i could invent dozens of reasons why, and tell a net little conversion story - but which ever i chose, it would be at best a partial truth.

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby jerome » Mar 03, 2010 3:15 am

Viraldi wrote:
jerome wrote: Excellent point. The problem is I don't have any.

Then you shouldn't believe. Thread closed? :dance:

Great one! :cheers: Yet I believe. So do I believe for irrational reasons? Maybe. The question however does remain, why should I not believe?

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Theism