Non-theists - why should I not believe?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Non-theists - why should I not believe?

#1941  Postby Rubicon » Nov 02, 2010 9:45 am

It also begs the question on what the definition of "morally perfect" entails. Is there an absolute universal moral code to which God himself adheres? Probably not, because then there would have to be a source outside of God which is responsible for this absolute morality.

But if God himself is the inventor of this moral standard, it wouldn't be absolute. After all, he could decide tomorrow that it's actually a very good thing to murder a fellow human being. The fact that he hasn't done this merely shows that he is consistent, not "morally perfect." What's the difference between "God is morally perfect" and Divine Command theory? And how exactly does a "morally imperfect" person like RichieDickins (or anyone else, for that matter) determine that God is "morally perfect"?
Rubicon

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#1942  Postby Davian » Jan 08, 2011 12:28 am

jerome wrote:
FRAP38 wrote:
Hve you any evidence that as an Anglican I have a religious duty to slaughter infidels? -Jerome

I take it you are not too familiar with your religious handbook?? If your question is not the perfect setup for embarrassment I dont know what is! :lol:

Reasonably familair yes. However you seem to assume I see it as a "handbook", which is of course not the NAglican position - or the Catholic one???

j x

I am working my way through these old threads, and I didn't see a follow up to this post.

If I were to embrace my Anglican heritage, what would I use as a 'handbook'? What do you use?
"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
- Bertrand Russell
Davian

Name: Davian
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1943  Postby jerome » Jan 08, 2011 11:01 pm

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/chris ... -t549.html - you might have hit it already but it was the answer to this really? Glad someone still reads the old threads, good times! :) Now I just play Winter Bells!

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#1944  Postby THWOTH » Jan 08, 2011 11:45 pm

:D
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1945  Postby Davian » Jan 11, 2011 8:47 pm

jerome wrote:http://www.rationalskepticism.org/christianity/what-is-the-centre-of-christianity-t549.html - you might have hit it already but it was the answer to this really? Glad someone still reads the old threads, good times! :) Now I just play Winter Bells!

j x

I hadn't seen that post you linked to, but a quick look at it triggered a wiki moment and sent me here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican

and, from that page, more like what I was expecting/looking for:

http://www.churchofengland.org/our-fait ... lican.aspx

thanks
"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
- Bertrand Russell
Davian

Name: Davian
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1946  Postby Panderos » Jan 12, 2011 4:49 pm

You shouldnt believe in the Christian God because there is a big super demon in the sky who can read your thoughts and he really really really hates Christians. And he is more powerful than your God (who also exists). The super demon keeps stealing people from heaven and putting them in super hell (much worse than Christian hell).
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1947  Postby Ubjon » Jan 16, 2011 1:23 am

You're asking the wrong question. The real question is why should you believe. I asked that question myself a long time ago when I was very young and I couldn't find any good reason to maintain false beliefs, no matter how comforting they may be. Perhaps a willlingness to reject the comforting notion that there is a higher power represents reaching a level of realism that many humans find too uncomfortable to accept.

I'm fairly confident that I've got 50-90 year of life on this world and I want to make the best of it. I don't delude myself into believing that I'm an immortal trapped in a mortal shell because thats stinks of denial. Yikes the world would be a different place if more people were like me and accepted there finite existance.
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1948  Postby jerome » Jan 16, 2011 3:43 pm

Ubjon wrote:You're asking the wrong question. The real question is why should you believe.

Ah, but when I created this thread is was in response to another thread asking exactly that, which was red hot. That one has long since faded as far as I know, this one continues. Nice to meet you Ubjohn! :cheers:

I will reply prperly later, off to get some food before shops shut
j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#1949  Postby Panderos » Jan 17, 2011 11:15 am

Aren't you going to respond to me Jerome? The Super Demon is watching you.
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1950  Postby jerome » Jan 17, 2011 1:50 pm

Panderos wrote:You shouldnt believe in the Christian God because there is a big super demon in the sky who can read your thoughts and he really really really hates Christians. And he is more powerful than your God (who also exists). The super demon keeps stealing people from heaven and putting them in super hell (much worse than Christian hell).

AH! Yes, entirely possible. However i am confused - why does he hate Christians? If they are wrong they are surely at best a source of endless amusement to such a malevolent entity, owing to the misery they manage to inflict with their hypocritical and pious cant on others? I would have a thought a Super-Demon would welcome the misery a religion brings??? :whistle:

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#1951  Postby Panderos » Jan 20, 2011 12:10 pm

The super-demon is pretty irrational, its often hard to explain his motivations. In this case, he was big fan of Hades, and was mad when he read in Revelations that Jesus was going to cast Hades into a lake of fire. Really mad. He could punish Jesus directly, but knew the chap wasn't particularly averse to a bit of self-flagellation, so decided to punish his followers instead, to really get at him and his Daddy. He just waits until God has sorted the Christians from the others with god's handy heaven/hell & faith setup, then plucks them from heaven just as they realise how awesome it looks, and off to the super-hell for them. So beware!
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism