Problem of Evil has been solved

free will problem of evil ignorance atheism theism christianity

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Problem of Evil has been solved

#161  Postby Regina » May 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Macroinvertebrate wrote:
Ironclad wrote:True. But I can't see him as a Comfort-strength character either; he hit us up with a bunch of the usual, watched them being pulled apart, then had to leave - feeling somewhat uncomfortable.
Hey, maybe I got poe-ed, but he's fairly young.

He's got 11 years on you, apparently. :mrgreen:

Ah, yeah. Looks can be so deceiving. Iron is a case in point. :nod:
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#162  Postby stijndeloose » May 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Macroinvertebrate wrote:people don't use logic and reason in their defense of their theism, and they are so obviously dead-set in their beliefs that no amount of logic and reason will change their minds.

A number of people could've thought the same about me some 15 years ago. All I was really doing, though, was testing my own (theist) arguments. They didn't fare well. :mrgreen:
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#163  Postby Ironclad » May 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Damn..
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#164  Postby stijndeloose » May 05, 2012 8:43 pm

Complicates things, don't it?
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#165  Postby Ironclad » May 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Regina wrote:
Macroinvertebrate wrote:
Ironclad wrote:True. But I can't see him as a Comfort-strength character either; he hit us up with a bunch of the usual, watched them being pulled apart, then had to leave - feeling somewhat uncomfortable.
Hey, maybe I got poe-ed, but he's fairly young.

He's got 11 years on you, apparently. :mrgreen:

Ah, yeah. Looks can be so deceiving. Iron is a case in point. :nod:

:shifty:

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#166  Postby Rumraket » May 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Macroinvertebrate wrote:
Ironclad wrote:
Obvious Poe is obvious.

I dunno, benefit of the doubt from me. His ideas have been roundly challenged and the things (I assume) he has been told (by religious teachers) as correct are really quite weak, when examined properly. All ex-theists must have travelled this path, when they've had their own ideas challenged, then self-examined.
I'm with Aggi, I think it's important to let the man have some space to think and get back to you/us, rather than quote posts he made early yesterday and demolish them repeatedly. If he isn't a poe the extra hits might just just make him dig his heels in. Like an ardent creationist does.

Come on, now. I've NEVER seen a hardcore Bible-thumping atheist-hater suddenly become an atheist in less than 24 hours. Have you? The main reason I call Poe is that these types of people don't use logic and reason in their defense of their theism, and they are so obviously dead-set in their beliefs that no amount of logic and reason will change their minds. What do you think the odds are that someone like Kent Hovind or Ray Comfort would suddenly begin to employ logic and reason to reject theism, and so much so that they would proclaim that they are now atheists? Not bloody likely!

I agree, I call bullshit too. It just doesn't happen overnight with people who that this far gone.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#167  Postby hackenslash » May 05, 2012 10:10 pm

I've seen cases such as this, where somebody had the stock arguments but was swayed by being exposed to the total annihilation of those arguments. If you turn up for a nuke fight armed with marshmallows, there can only be one of two outcomes; either you'll lie to yourself and cling to the belief or you'll realise that the belief itself was ill-founded and shed it. It says a lot, actually, that suspicion abounds here, but this is clearly due to the fact that the regulars here have been exposed to the former repeatedly over several years.

I'll give the poster the benefit of the doubt until I have reason to do otherwise.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#168  Postby Rumraket » May 05, 2012 10:15 pm

hackenslash wrote:I've seen cases such as this, where somebody had the stock arguments but was swayed by being exposed to the total annihilation of those arguments. If you turn up for a nuke fight armed with marshmallows, there can only be one of two outcomes; either you'll lie to yourself and cling to the belief or you'll realise that the belief itself was ill-founded and shed it. It says a lot, actually, that suspicion abounds here, but this is clearly due to the fact that the regulars here have been exposed to the former repeatedly over several years.

I'll give the poster the benefit of the doubt until I have reason to do otherwise.

Well, people can certainly change, but the time has been unusually short for the kind of transformation we've seen here. I remain skeptical.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#169  Postby hackenslash » May 05, 2012 10:23 pm

And that's healthy.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#170  Postby Ironclad » May 05, 2012 10:32 pm

LMAO, if it was Lion IRC be inclined to agree (though I don't dismiss the notion) but this is a kid sub-100 posts, one who's tried to attempted to tackle a rational forum headon with canards old.
Actually, I think you're right, but I'm inclined to follow Aggie, ruler of teh universe. For a few hours. Agz, over to you.

Ps, can i just add.. your description above paints a picture of 'young Skywalker'. Too far gone. ehe

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#171  Postby Agrippina » May 06, 2012 6:33 am

Ironclad wrote:LMAO, if it was Lion IRC be inclined to agree (though I don't dismiss the notion) but this is a kid sub-100 posts, one who's tried to attempted to tackle a rational forum headon with canards old.
Actually, I think you're right, but I'm inclined to follow Aggie, ruler of teh universe. For a few hours. Agz, over to you.

Ps, can i just add.. your description above paints a picture of 'young Skywalker'. Too far gone. ehe

My thinking is that if this is a true change of mind, then it was as a result of someone having a crisis of faith testing the trite one-liners that are dished out to people who go to church but who don't really understand why they are going to church and who have also not made a study of the interpretations of their particular version of what the bible says. There are lots of people like this around, they attend church through habit, or because their parents take them. Then they grow up want to think for themselves and begin to ask questions about what they've been taught. Sometimes they go with the teaching and begin to learn the dogma and it becomes entrenched, other times seeing the dogma blown apart is all they need to take the leap out of faith. It could simply be this, or it could be that we're being played. Whatever it is, I'm pleased to meet a young person who is prepared to listen to logical refutation of the silliness that unscrupulous collectors of gullible people's money feed to them.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#172  Postby virphen » May 06, 2012 8:23 am

Of course it's not a change of mind, it's just yet another person coming here with the intent of trolling. Not even making the most basic attempts to disguise it, either... and we reward it, reward it, reward it...
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#173  Postby Animavore » May 06, 2012 9:22 am

This is - sudden.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#174  Postby Onyx8 » May 06, 2012 2:27 pm

virphen wrote:Of course it's not a change of mind, it's just yet another person coming here with the intent of trolling. Not even making the most basic attempts to disguise it, either... and we reward it, reward it, reward it...

As far as I am concerned, it costs me nothing to extend the benefit of the doubt. It makes me feel good to do so. If someone is trolling and gets their jollies by fooling anonymous people on the net, then who cares? What a sad existence, I prefer mine.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#175  Postby Macdoc » May 06, 2012 10:49 pm

AtheismIsIrrational wrote:
There is no God.

recall there may be only ONE ...OP that is....jest sayin'.......there was some talk earlier of "coincidences". :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#176  Postby Counter Apologist » May 06, 2012 11:25 pm

Macroinvertebrate wrote:
Ironclad wrote:
Obvious Poe is obvious.

I dunno, benefit of the doubt from me. His ideas have been roundly challenged and the things (I assume) he has been told (by religious teachers) as correct are really quite weak, when examined properly. All ex-theists must have travelled this path, when they've had their own ideas challenged, then self-examined.
I'm with Aggi, I think it's important to let the man have some space to think and get back to you/us, rather than quote posts he made early yesterday and demolish them repeatedly. If he isn't a poe the extra hits might just just make him dig his heels in. Like an ardent creationist does.

Come on, now. I've NEVER seen a hardcore Bible-thumping atheist-hater suddenly become an atheist in less than 24 hours. Have you? The main reason I call Poe is that these types of people don't use logic and reason in their defense of their theism, and they are so obviously dead-set in their beliefs that no amount of logic and reason will change their minds. What do you think the odds are that someone like Kent Hovind or Ray Comfort would suddenly begin to employ logic and reason to reject theism, and so much so that they would proclaim that they are now atheists? Not bloody likely!

For reference, it was on another forum, years ago, that I was one of those bible-thumping folks. I used "the standard stuff" to challenge atheists, and it got picked apart.

You're right in a sense that I didn't become an atheist overnight, but it shook the hell out of me to see things get trashed apart so soundly. It started a process that got me to eventually get out of religion.

Could be this guy be a Poe? Sure, looks like a textbook version. But this process of interaction and watching arguments be pointed out as unsound can have a huge effect on people. Could just be something where he was doubting, found apologetics and got a surge of hope/courage and went on a posting spree. Getting the apologetics smashed could just be the thing that breaks an entrenched faith.

If it is a real deal though, congratulations on getting out of it AtheismIsIrrational. It'll be painful to adjust your whole worldview, and think for yourself as to what's right and wrong, but take comfort in the fact that the most terrible parts of Christianity aren't true (hell being the biggest one).
Counter Apologist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#177  Postby Macroinvertebrate » May 06, 2012 11:57 pm

JHendrix wrote:
Macroinvertebrate wrote:
Ironclad wrote:
Obvious Poe is obvious.

For reference, it was on another forum, years ago, that I was one of those bible-thumping folks. I used "the standard stuff" to challenge atheists, and it got picked apart.

You're right in a sense that I didn't become an atheist overnight, but it shook the hell out of me to see things get trashed apart so soundly. It started a process that got me to eventually get out of religion.

Could be this guy be a Poe? Sure, looks like a textbook version. But this process of interaction and watching arguments be pointed out as unsound can have a huge effect on people. Could just be something where he was doubting, found apologetics and got a surge of hope/courage and went on a posting spree. Getting the apologetics smashed could just be the thing that breaks an entrenched faith.

Fair enough. :cheers:
It's so cold in the D.
Macroinvertebrate

Name: Gawd
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#178  Postby Blip » May 07, 2012 1:31 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Tea and biscuits being served here
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#179  Postby rJD » May 08, 2012 9:30 am

AtheismIsIrrational wrote:I'll say it again: Unless, you can prove why demons are illogical or evidence that don't exist. It can explain why there is natural evil without hurting God's all-lovingness.

Leprechauns could also acceptable to why there is evil without going against God's all-lovingness.

Demons (or leprechauns, or any other posited supernatural entities) do not get god off the hook, unless you believe that they are able to act contrary to god's will.

OOOPS! There goes god's omnipotence.

Or else he allows them to create evil, so his omnibenevolence is fucked again.

Your choice, but the problem of evil still remains for believers in an all-powerful, all-good god in a world containing evils.
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

rJD
RS Donator

Name: John
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#180  Postby Ironclad » May 08, 2012 9:34 am

Hmmm.. I take it that this lad didn't come back. ho-hum