The Credentials of Religious Debaters - An Observation

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Credentials of Religious Debaters - An Observation

#21  Postby Goldenmane » Mar 25, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Goldenmane wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:Three words. Dr. Gillian McKeith. She pretty much sums up the whole BS factory.

Name seems to ring a faint bell, but I'm too lazy to search and I can't place it.

Example?

Ben Goldacre on Gillian McKeith.

He has a whole chapter on her in Bad Science. It's hilarious. The opening line is "Gillian McKeith, or to give her her full title, Gillian McKeith....." :grin:

Bookmarked.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#22  Postby MattHunX » Mar 25, 2010 5:10 pm

Goldenmane wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:
Goldenmane wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:Three words. Dr. Gillian McKeith. She pretty much sums up the whole BS factory.

Name seems to ring a faint bell, but I'm too lazy to search and I can't place it.

Example?

Ben Goldacre on Gillian McKeith.

He has a whole chapter on her in Bad Science. It's hilarious. The opening line is "Gillian McKeith, or to give her her full title, Gillian McKeith....." :grin:

Bookmarked.

I ran through that, I get the picture now. I thought she was an atheist, I misinterpreted I'm With Stupid's post. I see know, that she belongs on my ever-growing black-list. :cheers:
MattHunX

Print view this post

#23  Postby Macdoc » Mar 25, 2010 5:13 pm

We see the same phenom with climate change deniers....puffing up credentials - sometimes outright lies...other times exaggeration....

when you have nothing cogent to say.....credentials are all
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Poirot » Mar 25, 2010 5:19 pm

Karljett wrote:
mmmcheezy wrote:Karljett, I understand what you're saying here, but I'm curious: you seem to be awfully sensitive to the generalizing of theists, but the thread you started in contained many generalizations courtesy of thedistillers about atheists. Where were you jumping to our defense then?

I wouldn't go as far as awfully sensitive, I just think we shouldn't jump to conclusions, and choose our words a bit more carefully.

Ok maybe I'm going a bit too far, but it's not that much of an exaggeration. Speaking from my own experience (I can't speak for anyone else) most of them, christians particularly (although it's just another version of the same wibble), from what I've seen, don't have the first idea of what they're on about. It's cringeworthy to watch.
Poirot
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#25  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 25, 2010 5:30 pm

Macdoc wrote:We see the same phenom with climate change deniers....puffing up credentials - sometimes outright lies...other times exaggeration....

Or more often, using your credentials in one field to claim authority in another. They always say that a "doctor" or "scientist" denies climate change, ignoring the fact that their particular expertise has as much relevance to climate change as a doctorate in David Beckham studies.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#26  Postby twistor59 » Mar 27, 2010 8:08 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:

LOL - she even has her own acronym on the Bad Science forums: TAPL (The Awful Poo Lady)
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism