The GOD (not religion) Delusion

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The GOD (not religion) Delusion

#101  Postby josephchoi » Mar 24, 2010 4:39 am

simplest definition i can come up with is, facts.
Donuts don't wear alligator shoes!
josephchoi

Male

Print view this post

#102  Postby MitchLeBlanc » Mar 24, 2010 4:42 am

josephchoi wrote:simplest definition i can come up with is, facts.

I'm not sure what to make of that either, I have a similar problem in understanding precisely what you mean. I'm not trying to be stubborn, I promise.
MitchLeBlanc

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Mr P » Mar 24, 2010 4:54 am

How about "a representation of a specific phenomenon that, while separate from that phenomenon, can be related back to independently verify it's existence".

I've highlighted independent as this can be taken to mean either numerous independent representations, a representation that can be verified by independent observers or both.
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine and I can know much more!
Brother Cavil, BSG
Mr P

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#104  Postby rEvolutionist » Mar 24, 2010 5:11 am

blah blah blah....

When's Noctoenfliuefmldk going to present some evidence for the existence of God? As someone said earlier, if there has been 2000 years of it, it shouldn't be hard to find some, FFS. :ask:
Last edited by rEvolutionist on Mar 24, 2010 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#105  Postby ADParker » Mar 24, 2010 5:18 am

Nocterro wrote:A few more comments:

-Saying there is no evidence for God is ridiculous. You can say "The evidence is not strong enough" or "the evidence supports a different conclusion", or something similar; but saying "there is no evidence" is arbitrarily dismissing everything people have offered as evidence over the last few thousand years.

How about; "everything that has been claimed by apologists to be evidence has been found to be horribly flawed, and not supportive of their claim in any remotely valuable fashion"?
How about "there is no supporting evidence such that the existence of god remains rationally as nothing more than a possibility, like pretty much any random idea is at the very least"?

You can not justifiably say there is evidence simply because over the millennia various people have CLAIMED that such-and-such counts as evidence. Certainly not if none of it has stood up to rational scrutiny.

Nocterro wrote:
-Your view on evidence and faith is absolutely ridiculous.

Faith (as used in the theistic context, which is the only one I use the term for myself) is essentially belief through the abandonment of reason.
It is believing something despite not having (including simply not utilising) reason to reach that conclusion. If one strictly adheres to using reason, then that is reason, not Faith. If to ANY degree one goes beyond what reason provides/allows (through choosing to believe based on desire/emotion and/or imagination perhaps) then one is engaging in Faith not reason, based thinking.

This biblical definition highlights this nicely:
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for [Emotion], the evidence of things not seen [imagination] " (Hebrews 11:1, KJV, my additions in square brackets of course.)
So according to this Christian bible verse Faith is believing in things based on emotion and imagination, not on reason.

Nocterro wrote:In fact, I was an atheist myself up until a month ago. My "conversion" to theism was not based on any sort of personal experience or divine revelation, but on REASON.

Oh good, then you would be in an optimal position to furnish us with that reasoning, seeing as you reached your extraordinary conclusion through REASON and it's so very fresh, so we too could rationally reach the conclusion that you have. Please go right ahead and present us with that reasoning. What was it that convinced you?

Nocterro wrote:Because of various arguments, I now think it is more likely that God exists than does not exist.

"Various arguments"?! Why the games? What arguments?

Nocterro wrote:If you want to redefine faith to exclude reason out of some misguided effort to make your own position appear more reasonable, so be it.

It's what it means. But does it matter? Either you have good reasons or you do not. What has the definition of "Faith" got to do with it?

Nocterro wrote:I suspect that for some reason, you simply cannot accept that any theists can be reasonable.

Of course they can, but that does not mean that their theism is reasonable. People can hold both reasonable and unreasonable beliefs and positions.
But your belief in the existence of a god or gods is based on REASON isn't it? And that reasoning would be?
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Name: Andrew
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#106  Postby Nocterro » Mar 24, 2010 5:18 am

rEvolutionist wrote:blah blah blah....

When's Noctoenfliuefmldk going to present some evidence for the existence of God? As someone said earlier, if there has been 200 years of it, it shouldn't be hard to find some, FFS. :ask:

nontheism/debate-t3554.html
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Siddhārtha Gautama
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#107  Postby aspire1670 » Mar 24, 2010 7:15 am

Nocterro wrote:

When's Noctoenfliuefmldk going to present some evidence for the existence of God? As someone said earlier, if there has been 200 years of it, it shouldn't be hard to find some, FFS. :ask:

psikeyhackr wrote: Physics is not rhetorical pseudo-logic crap.

I removed this signature at the request of another member.
aspire1670

Male

Print view this post

#108  Postby Nocterro » Mar 24, 2010 7:18 am

aspire1670 wrote:
Nocterro wrote:

If you say so :lol:
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Siddhārtha Gautama
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#109  Postby rEvolutionist » Mar 24, 2010 8:00 am

Nocterro wrote:

Umm, there's no evidence there. That's just a thread challenging anyone to a debate. What gives?
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#110  Postby Sylvie » Mar 25, 2010 6:22 am

rEvolutionist wrote: by rEvolutionist » Mar 24, 2010 5:11 pm

blah blah blah....

When's Noctoenfliuefmldk going to present some evidence for the existence of God? As someone said earlier, if there has been 2000 years of it, it shouldn't be hard to find some, FFS.

He must mean ow the sun goes around the Earth proving we are God's favourite special kids.
Or how when you torture a suspected witch if she doesn't confess it means that God gave her resolve.
Or the geological evidence that the world is 6000 years old just like the bible says....wait....
"Oh I see your tactic, 'God is energy, energy exists, therefore I win!' We've had this all before, its about as intellectually sophisticated as a shitting your pants." - HughMcB
Sylvie

Female

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism