The GOD (not religion) Delusion

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The GOD (not religion) Delusion

#1  Postby Armageddo » Mar 22, 2010 10:35 pm

If any of you misguided atheists is brave enough to debate me on the existence of God, using the arguments put forward (well, what little there are) in Dawkins' badly titled book, I will gladly refute them all. Hackenslash has problems with it due to his confusion over the title, but if we can work around that, let's see how this goes. I guarantee that this will be a lot of fun for me :lol:
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

Re: The GOD (not religion) Delusion

#2  Postby josephchoi » Mar 22, 2010 10:39 pm

so where's your evidence for god?
Donuts don't wear alligator shoes!
josephchoi

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Armageddo » Mar 22, 2010 10:41 pm

josephchoi wrote:so where's your evidence for god?

Did you read the opening post? I suggest you do.
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#4  Postby Scarlett » Mar 22, 2010 10:45 pm

Armageddo wrote:If any of you misguided atheists is brave enough to debate me on the existence of God, using the arguments put forward (well, what little there are) in Dawkins' badly titled book, I will gladly refute them all. Hackenslash has problems with it due to his confusion over the title, but if we can work around that, let's see how this goes. I guarantee that this will be a lot of fun for me :lol:

Thats the thing with deluded people, they'll just keep on laughing despite being blown out of the water :roll:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Dracena » Mar 22, 2010 10:48 pm

Armageddo wrote:If any of you misguided atheists is brave enough to debate me on the existence of God, using the arguments put forward (well, what little there are) in Dawkins' badly titled book, I will gladly fail to refute them all. Hackenslash has I have problems with it due to his my confusion over the title, but if we can work around that, let's see how this goes. I guarantee that this will be a lot of fun for me you :waah:

:smoke:
Last edited by Dracena on Mar 22, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby 95Theses » Mar 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Armageddo wrote:

No no no. That's not how it works.

you claim a magic sky wizard exists, you provide the evidence.

In the absence of evidence the default position has to be 'Magic Sky Wizards do not exist'

Perhaps you would like to provide the evidence that magic pink fairies don't live under my bed?
Last edited by 95Theses on Mar 22, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Peter Brown » Mar 22, 2010 10:50 pm

There isn't any. You won the debate :lol:
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#8  Postby Scarlett » Mar 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Dracena wrote:
Armageddo wrote:If any of you misguided atheists is brave enough to debate me on the existence of God, using the arguments put forward (well, what little there are) in Dawkins' badly titled book, I will gladly fail to refute them all. Hackenslash has I have problems with it due to his my confusion over the title, but if we can work around that, let's see how this goes. I guarantee that this will be a lot of fun for me you :waah:

Nice work :clap:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby HughMcB » Mar 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Armageddo wrote:If any of you misguided atheists is brave enough to debate me on the existence of God, using the arguments put forward (well, what little there are) in Dawkins' badly titled book, I will gladly refute them all. Hackenslash has problems with it due to his confusion over the title, but if we can work around that, let's see how this goes. I guarantee that this will be a lot of fun for me

Firstly you didnt read the God delusion, because if you did you would know that after Dawkins debunks the Abrahamic God he goes on to talk about why there (probably) is no god.

Secondly its not up to me to disprove God, its up to the believer (or God himself) to prove that he does indeed exist. I don't live my life built on presuppositions of things that are impossible to disprove. Like Zeus, Allah, Tooth Fairy, Leprechauns, Big Foot or your supposed Sky Daddy.

Until I find some evidence to show that there is a god the default setting is to automatically make no assumptions, have a clean slate and live a life "without belief" a.k.a. without theism or atheism.
Last edited by HughMcB on Mar 22, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Nocterro » Mar 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Dracena wrote:

...You don't actually think TGD is quality material?

Do you?
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Siddhārtha Gautama
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby UnderConstruction » Mar 22, 2010 10:57 pm

Armageddo wrote:

Well considering one of the major points raised in TGD is the startling lack of evidence for God, it would seem to be a good question and in line with the OP.
"Origins from God/Genesis are secular actually as we see it." - Robert Byers
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Nocterro » Mar 22, 2010 10:58 pm

HughMcB wrote:
Firstly you didnt read the God delusion, because if you did you would know that after Dawkins debunks the Abrahamic God he goes on to talk about why there (probably) is no god.

Secondly its not up to me to disprove God, its up to the believer (or God himself) to prove that he does indeed exist. I don't live my life built on presuppositions of things that are impossible to disprove. Like Zeus, Allah, Tooth Fairy, Leprechauns, Big Foot or your supposed Sky Daddy.

Until I find some evidence to show that there is a god the default setting is to automatically make no assumptions, have a clean slate and live a life "without belief" a.k.a. without theism or atheism.

1) TGD is perhaps the perfect example of how NOT to defend atheism or attack theism.
2) God is not unfalsifiable.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Siddhārtha Gautama
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Armageddo » Mar 22, 2010 10:59 pm

UnderConstruction wrote:
Armageddo wrote:

Well considering one of the major points raised in TGD is the startling lack of evidence for God, it would seem to be a good question and in line with the OP.

Well that's a start at least but hardly an argument. You say it's a "major" point. What other points are there, then? (It would be in keeping with the OP). Thanks :smile:
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#14  Postby Sciwoman » Mar 22, 2010 10:59 pm

Armageddo wrote:If any of you misguided atheists is brave enough to debate me on the existence of God, using the arguments put forward (well, what little there are) in Dawkins' badly titled book, I will gladly refute them all. Hackenslash has problems with it due to his confusion over the title, but if we can work around that, let's see how this goes. I guarantee that this will be a lot of fun for me :lol:

IIRC, I don't think Dawkin's choose the title for that book.
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Name: AKA Ayaan
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Mr P » Mar 22, 2010 11:01 pm

Nocterro wrote:2) God is not unfalsifiable.

Now THIS I need to hear more about :thumbup:
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine and I can know much more!
Brother Cavil, BSG
Mr P

Male

England (eng)

Birthday
Print view this post

#16  Postby UnderConstruction » Mar 22, 2010 11:03 pm

Armageddo wrote:
UnderConstruction wrote:
Armageddo wrote:

Well that's a start at least but hardly an argument. You say it's a "major" point. What other points are there, then? (It would be in keeping with the OP). Thanks :smile:

What more do you need? Anything else is just bonus points.

And yes, it is an argument. In short, there is no evidence for the existence of God that has been presented to date that stands up to scrutiny. Therefore, there is no need to give credence to the claims of those who assert he/she/it does exist.

Now then, unless you can either provide such evidence or a reason why evidence should not be required, it's pretty much game over.
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby UnderConstruction » Mar 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Depends which one you are talking about but many, perhaps most are forever placed beyond the reach of falsifiability.
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Nocterro » Mar 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Mr P wrote:

1) You start a debate with a theist.
2) Theist presents his definition of God.
3) You show that the definition is incoherent.

This isn't hard...
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby HughMcB » Mar 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Nocterro wrote:
HughMcB wrote:

1) TGD is perhaps the perfect example of how NOT to defend atheism or attack theism.
2) God is not unfalsifiable.

1) Subjective drivel
2) You do realise in that double (triple?) negative you have just said "God is falsifiable" (God is not unfalsifiable)
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#20  Postby UnderConstruction » Mar 22, 2010 11:07 pm

Nocterro wrote:
Mr P wrote:

1) You start a debate with a theist.
2) Theist presents his definition of God.
3) You show that the definition is incoherent.

This isn't hard...

Theist: Ah, but God cannot be understood by a mere human and does not conform to our logic. Ergo, God can be as logically inconsistent as I want him to be.

A bit harder than you might think...
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Theism