What's the battiest thing you ever heard a believer say?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard a believer say?

#3921  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 14, 2015 1:19 am

The gospel of Thomas was written by gnostics who denied the divinity of Christ. Therefore, it was excluded from the canon. The gnostics were proven to be frauds then and they still are now.

Skiff, we as Christians believe that the Bible was indeed penned by human authors. But we believe they were all under the divine influence of the Holy Spirit. Throughout the entire process that ultimately led to the Bible we have today, we believe God was there guiding it along. An omnipotent, omniscient being is capable of such guidance, I think.

One wonders why god would feel the need to exclude gospels and to have multiple Councils of deliberations about the book.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3922  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 14, 2015 1:20 am

I have been saved by grace through faith and have a personal relationship with God. I am seeing someone who is a Christian. Our whole goal has been to be there emotionally for each other. Our relationship is based on love, emotions, and empathy and not sex, drugs, etc. Like others, I have prayed with God and am at peace with it. I know how much he loves me and trust in the promise of eternal security given to us in His Word.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3923  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 15, 2015 6:49 pm

Onyx8 wrote:Just ask them if they have actually read the whole book or just parts of it. You tend to get a stare and then they go back to their opening intro again. Then ask them if they don't think they really ought to actually read the whole thing given as how they think it is a message to them from the creator of the universe, then come up with a couple verses for sure they haven't been shown by their superiors like: Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." The women tend to leave after they look that up.

BOOKMARKED!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3924  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 15, 2015 7:02 pm

Meanwhile, I think I'll have to obtain a copy of the KJV, for comedy moments such as this. Only I have a copy of the NIV, and the translation of Ezekiel 23:20 in that version is far more boring.

Anyone know where I can find a print copy KJV that won't cost a fortune?

Meanwhile, there are some parts of the NIV that are hilarious. Leviticus 13 through 15 inclusive was practically made for a Life of Brian style skit. If you have a copy, turn to those sections, and imagine that text being read out by one of the Pythons in full robes and beard getup, complete with exaggerated enunciation. You'll never be able to look at any Bible afterwards without wanting to crack up with laughter. :mrgreen:
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3925  Postby redwhine » Mar 16, 2015 5:31 am

Calilasseia wrote:Anyone know where I can find a print copy KJV that won't cost a fortune?

The Gideons also distribute to hospitals and other medical offices, schools and colleges as well as jails and prisons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gideons_International

You could liberate one on your next visit. :naughty2:

If not, I own a copy for which I have no use. (The http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/ serves all my needs these days.) PM me your address and I'll send it to you.
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#3926  Postby THWOTH » Mar 16, 2015 7:12 am

The great thing about the Gideon bible is that you can press the pages into service when you run out of cigarette papers.

True. :smoke:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3927  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Mar 16, 2015 7:19 am

Its also handy in the wild bush, lots of thin bits of paper to help start the fire.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3928  Postby Alan B » Mar 16, 2015 1:07 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:Its also handy in the wild bush, lots of thin bits of paper to help start the fire.

I would think of something more personal...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3929  Postby Agrippina » Mar 17, 2015 5:49 am

Calilasseia wrote:Meanwhile, I think I'll have to obtain a copy of the KJV, for comedy moments such as this. Only I have a copy of the NIV, and the translation of Ezekiel 23:20 in that version is far more boring.

Anyone know where I can find a print copy KJV that won't cost a fortune?

Meanwhile, there are some parts of the NIV that are hilarious. Leviticus 13 through 15 inclusive was practically made for a Life of Brian style skit. If you have a copy, turn to those sections, and imagine that text being read out by one of the Pythons in full robes and beard getup, complete with exaggerated enunciation. You'll never be able to look at any Bible afterwards without wanting to crack up with laughter. :mrgreen:

I have a Bible Study app that gives me all versions of the Bible (in English). I use that to compare verses. The new versions are boring. I think people in the days when the KJV was written were far more open-minded about talking about sex. They probably enjoyed it more too. :grin:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3930  Postby Agrippina » Mar 17, 2015 5:52 am

I came across a new argument against evolution today. I didn't know about the peanut butter argument. Then someone pointed out the rational wiki to me.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Peanut_butter_argument
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3931  Postby Alan B » Mar 17, 2015 9:50 am

Ah, the Argumentum ad Moronum.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3932  Postby murshid » Mar 17, 2015 1:15 pm

Agrippina wrote:I came across a new argument against evolution today. I didn't know about the peanut butter argument. Then someone pointed out the rational wiki to me.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Peanut_butter_argument

I hope you know about the banana fallacy.

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" – Douglas Adams
murshid

Name: Murshid
Male

Print view this post

#3933  Postby Zwaarddijk » Mar 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Alan B wrote:Ah, the Argumentum ad Moronum.

I would think argumentum ab/ex/de Morono or possibly apud Moronii would fit better - this isn't an argument against a moron, it's an argument from a moron.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#3934  Postby Alan B » Mar 17, 2015 6:08 pm

Zwaarddijk wrote:

I would think argumentum ab/ex/de Morono or possibly apud Moronii would fit better - this isn't an argument against a moron, it's an argument from a moron.
My Latin is obviously not up to scratch. :cheers:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3935  Postby Varangian » Mar 17, 2015 7:14 pm

Zwaarddijk wrote:

Argumentum apud Moroni ought to be Mormonism, right? ;)

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#3936  Postby Zwaarddijk » Mar 17, 2015 9:25 pm

Alan B wrote:
Zwaarddijk wrote:

My Latin is obviously not up to scratch. :cheers:

Actually, I am not all that good at it either - need looking at a grammar whenever I try doing Latin stuff. However, thinking back on it, maybe just argumentum idiotae would work best - 'an/the argument of an idiot'
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#3937  Postby Agrippina » Mar 18, 2015 4:57 am

Aren't they all moronic arguments?

I'm looking through all the arguments against atheism that I've come across and that other people are pointing out to me. This exercise has made me look at apologetics websites to see why they say the stuff they do. OMG, I can't believe that people really feel comfortable publishing that nonsense where anyone can read it. For example these:

Atheists hate God because we don't think about him very much.Apparently this guy thinks that when he's busy doing other stuff and not thinking about God, he's an atheist until he does think about him again.

This one says we hate God because we don't like "moral constructs."

This one's feelings were really hurt because people used "bad" words.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3938  Postby Zwaarddijk » Mar 18, 2015 9:26 am

Varangian wrote:
Zwaarddijk wrote:

Argumentum apud Moroni ought to be Mormonism, right? ;)

That would be granting that Joseph Smith new anything about any ancient language at all. Which he didn't.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#3939  Postby NamelessFaceless » Mar 18, 2015 2:23 pm

Agrippina wrote:Aren't they all moronic arguments?

I'm looking through all the arguments against atheism that I've come across and that other people are pointing out to me. This exercise has made me look at apologetics websites to see why they say the stuff they do. OMG, I can't believe that people really feel comfortable publishing that nonsense where anyone can read it. For example these:

Atheists hate God because we don't think about him very much.Apparently this guy thinks that when he's busy doing other stuff and not thinking about God, he's an atheist until he does think about him again.

This one says we hate God because we don't like "moral constructs."

This one's feelings were really hurt because people used "bad" words.

Who are all these atheists that "hate god?" I've never seen anyone here express a hatred of god.

Recently, I have had a lot of conversations with atheists. Many express a strong hatred of God.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3940  Postby smudge » Mar 18, 2015 6:18 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:

Who are all these atheists that "hate god?" I've never seen anyone here express a hatred of god.

Many of us would have some pretty hard questions for him/her/it if we were ever to meet face to face however...
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism