What's the problem with my baseless assumption?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the problem with my baseless assumption?

#141  Postby Scarlett » Sep 20, 2010 4:44 pm

I want to go back to the story I posted about my dad and RM's admition that "the catchy phrase" works but there is sometimes a price to pay

Name me some examples where there isn't a price paid for the strength gained. My father and his brother paid for it with their loving emotions. The guy who loses a leg? While it may strengthen his character in some way, I'll bet in 99% of cases there will always be a degree of regret that the limb is gone. The person who fights cancer? I'll bet that in 99% of cases there is regret that time was lost through illness.

But on the whole, let's face it, for most people the trying time is on an emotional level, luckily losing limbs and serious illness affects a minority, for most people it's deaths, divorces, difficult relationships etc.

I am one of those, am I strong? Too fucking right I am. The cost? Barriers as big as the Great Wall of China. Do I like being this way? No. Do I wish I'd had a peaceful easy life? Too fucking right

I think there are lots and lots of members who could claim this experience as their own. Like me, if someone had told them "What Doesn't kill you makes you stronger" when they were in the middle of it that person would have got a kick in the balls. So your assertion that there's good advice in it is bollocks frankly
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#142  Postby Dracena » Sep 20, 2010 5:27 pm

Paula1 wrote:I want to go back to the story I posted about my dad and RM's admition that "the catchy phrase" works but there is sometimes a price to pay

Name me some examples where there isn't a price paid for the strength gained. My father and his brother paid for it with their loving emotions. The guy who loses a leg? While it may strengthen his character in some way, I'll bet in 99% of cases there will always be a degree of regret that the limb is gone. The person who fights cancer? I'll bet that in 99% of cases there is regret that time was lost through illness.

But on the whole, let's face it, for most people the trying time is on an emotional level, luckily losing limbs and serious illness affects a minority, for most people it's deaths, divorces, difficult relationships etc.

I am one of those, am I strong? Too fucking right I am. The cost? Barriers as big as the Great Wall of China. Do I like being this way? No. Do I wish I'd had a peaceful easy life? Too fucking right

I think there are lots and lots of members who could claim this experience as their own. Like me, if someone had told them "What Doesn't kill you makes you stronger" when they were in the middle of it that person would have got a kick in the balls. So your assertion that there's good advice in it is bollocks frankly

:this:

And not only are kids being hurt when parents constantly shout at them, it's often indicative that they have to take more of other crap behind closed doors, such as physical and sexual abuse. You should think about that Raleigh next time you notice a parent often screaming at their kid/s.
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#143  Postby sennekuyl » Sep 20, 2010 10:11 pm

Combine Paula1's two posts and DanDare's and you can see why people are not just accepting the platitude as the best way to raise a society.
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#144  Postby rEvolutionist » Sep 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Raliegh Marsden wrote:rEv...

The catchy phrase "If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger" is catchy because it's memorable, and straight to the point. At the expense of being catchy, it is true in less than 100% of cases. Why haven't I mentioned this before? Because it doesn't matter, and the reason why it doesn't matter is because the message within the phrase is a very positive and worthwhile message, and therefore worthy of being focussed on. I would rather focus on the message of the phrase than some technical nitpicky detail which detracts from the point being made. I really don't care that it's not always the case because there is some very good advice contained within that phrase. So, in an everyday, common sense way, if it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger. And a stitch in time might save 10 rather than 9, but the point being made is far more important than the details.

Others have pointed out the fallacy of relying on "common sense", so I can only reiterate what they have said. The laws of our countries make certain acts carried out on other people illegal, and therefore we have both the legal and moral right to intervene if necessary. I know this goes against your sense of 'natural free man', but that's the cost of living in an organised and civilised society. We all sacrifice some of our personal freedoms in exchange for the benefits provided by society.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#145  Postby Raliegh Marsden » Sep 20, 2010 10:38 pm

Some of you are getting confused. You somehow think that I believe in allowing kids to be abused. I don't. What I do believe however is that there's a difference between what you might call every day treatment, ie a good spanking here and there, a clip round the ear 'ole as we say in the UK, and a bit of shouting, and maybe the occasial shake.....and serious stuff like constant beatings and aggressive nastiness and so on. Do I believe that it's ok to spank kids from time to time if nec? Absolutely, yes I do. No problem with that whatsoever. But I don't class that as abuse, it's just normal.

So, if you put aside the serious stuff (which does deserve intervention) and focus on the normal stuff, then "if it don't kill ya, it makes you stronger" definitely applies. And if I had kids I'd command respect. How? In every possible way that doesn't involve physical punishment...with the option of using it if it becomes necessary. And if it was necessary, I'd do it anywhere, anytime.

But, we're not just talking about that, we're talking about "if it don't kill ya, it makes you stronger" in general.
Consciousness is one of the great problems facing science...most scientists cannot even define it, let alone explain it. Professor Michio Kaku.

Where is there evidence that people are at their very best when they are challenged-Oldskeptic
Raliegh Marsden
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#146  Postby Scarlett » Sep 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Raliegh Marsden wrote:Some of you are getting confused. You somehow think that I believe in allowing kids to be abused. I don't. What I do believe however is that there's a difference between what you might call every day treatment, ie a good spanking here and there, a clip round the ear 'ole as we say in the UK, and a bit of shouting, and maybe the occasial shake.....and serious stuff like constant beatings and aggressive nastiness and so on. Do I believe that it's ok to spank kids from time to time if nec? Absolutely, yes I do. No problem with that whatsoever. But I don't class that as abuse, it's just normal.

So, if you put aside the serious stuff (which does deserve intervention) and focus on the normal stuff, then "if it don't kill ya, it makes you stronger" definitely applies. And if I had kids I'd command respect. How? In every possible way that doesn't involve physical punishment...with the option of using it if it becomes necessary. And if it was necessary, I'd do it anywhere, anytime.

But, we're not just talking about that, we're talking about "if it don't kill ya, it makes you stronger" in general.

I clearly provided my views with regard to this, can you please address them?
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#147  Postby Raliegh Marsden » Sep 20, 2010 10:47 pm

Paula, I just spent some time responding to rEv, and then I went for a piss. Be patient, you're next.
Consciousness is one of the great problems facing science...most scientists cannot even define it, let alone explain it. Professor Michio Kaku.

Where is there evidence that people are at their very best when they are challenged-Oldskeptic
Raliegh Marsden
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#148  Postby Raliegh Marsden » Sep 20, 2010 10:54 pm

Ok paula, here's my reponse :

"If doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger", is a philosophy, an outlook. I have that outlook, so do many other people. It works for us. If you don't have that outlook, you don't benefit from it. If you choose to see things in a certain way, you'll get what you see. In the meantime, there are many people who choose to have a positive philosophy, and they benefit from it. They wouldn't have it if they didn't. We're not talking about objective reality, we're talking outlook. If I have a bad day, I can turn it around by changing my outlook, which affecs my thoughts, emotions, and actions. If you can't do that, maybe you should learn to do it. You can either waste your time rationalizing, or you can change your outlook.

Raliegh Marsden
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#149  Postby Scarlett » Sep 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Raliegh Marsden wrote:Ok paula, here's my reponse :

"If doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger", is a philosophy, an outlook. I have that outlook, so do many other people. It works for us. If you don't have that outlook, you don't benefit from it. If you choose to see things in a certain way, you'll get what you see. In the meantime, there are many people who choose to have a positive philosophy, and they benefit from it. They wouldn't have it if they didn't. We're not talking about objective reality, we're talking outlook. If I have a bad day, I can turn it around by changing my outlook, which affecs my thoughts, emotions, and actions. If you can't do that, maybe you should learn to do it. You can either waste your time rationalizing, or you can change your outlook.

I don't even think I'm surprised, that was about as useful as tits on a bull
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#150  Postby Raliegh Marsden » Sep 20, 2010 11:03 pm

And that doesn't surprise me. Keep rationalizing.

Raliegh Marsden
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#151  Postby sennekuyl » Sep 20, 2010 11:05 pm

So, if you put aside the serious stuff

How do you get the world to just all be lovely and jolly?

When it comes to muscles and low grade mentality, I don't have a problem with challenges to strengthen. But using such platitudes as a way of life leads to the kind of problems that everyone alludes to, if not specified.
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Scarlett » Sep 20, 2010 11:07 pm

General question to mods, are you allowed to call someone a twat via PM?

!
MODNOTE
The report regarding this post has been dealt with and closed.

Durro
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#153  Postby rEvolutionist » Sep 20, 2010 11:09 pm

:tehe: :no:
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#154  Postby Scarlett » Sep 20, 2010 11:11 pm

rEvolutionist wrote::tehe: :no:

Oh ok, just curious :whistle:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#155  Postby IIzO » Sep 20, 2010 11:11 pm

Raliegh Marsden wrote:Ok paula, here's my reponse :

"If doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger", is a philosophy, an outlook.

It's a statement , already proven wrong , that you keep spouting as if it magically made it real.

I have that outlook, so do many other people.
It works for us. If you don't have that outlook, you don't benefit from it.

Irelevant , fallacy of an appeal to consequence , and its begging the question.

If you choose to see things in a certain way, you'll get what you see.

The introduction to the definition of "delusion" and "bias".

In the meantime, there are many people who choose to have a positive philosophy, and they benefit from it.

Irrelevant , appeal to consequences and begging the question.

They wouldn't have it if they didn't.

Statement supported by what?I don't think that what doesn't kill you makes you "stronger" ,this isn't equivalent to "not challenging problems" or any kind of individual success , we have exemple of people with an easy upbringing succeeding , whereas those who don't are less likely to succeed , among those who live in the mud many simply never overcome the pressure of their environment.

We're not talking about objective reality, we're talking outlook.

Lol we are talking about reality , if you don't you are just saying bullshit .

If I have a bad day, I can turn it around by changing my outlook, which affecs my thoughts, emotions, and actions.

So ?Everybody i except you understood that making the statement as an universal truth , or making the fallacy of an appeal to consequence regardless of what can be observed is ....logically fallacious.

If you can't do that, maybe you should learn to do it. You can either waste your time rationalizing, or you can change your outlook.

You are the one rationalizing your statement wich is untrue by arguing that "you can't become strong without thinking that !"
Between what i think , what i want to say ,what i believe i say ,what i say , what you want to hear , what you hear ,what you understand...there are lots of possibilities that we might have some problem communicating.But let's try anyway.
Bernard Werber
IIzO

France (fr)
Print view this post

#156  Postby IIzO » Sep 20, 2010 11:12 pm

Anyway , Raliegh , what is "getting stronger" all about ?
Between what i think , what i want to say ,what i believe i say ,what i say , what you want to hear , what you hear ,what you understand...there are lots of possibilities that we might have some problem communicating.But let's try anyway.
Bernard Werber
IIzO

France (fr)
Print view this post

#157  Postby sennekuyl » Sep 20, 2010 11:21 pm

This
They wouldn't have it if they didn't.

contradicts this
If I have a bad day, I can turn it around by changing my outlook, which affecs my thoughts, emotions, and actions.

which brings the delusion that this
"If doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger"

is effective.
Defining Australians:
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#158  Postby Raliegh Marsden » Sep 20, 2010 11:24 pm

No it doesn't.

Raliegh Marsden
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#159  Postby sennekuyl » Sep 20, 2010 11:31 pm

:awe: :wtf:
Defining Australians:
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#160  Postby sennekuyl » Sep 20, 2010 11:39 pm

How can you just say things like that after IIzO decimated your 'philosophy'.
Defining Australians:
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism