What's the problem with my baseless assumption?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the problem with my baseless assumption?

#181  Postby rEvolutionist » Sep 21, 2010 1:43 am

Raliegh Marsden wrote:rEv...

Yes, there's more to it than that, and yes, people who have that outlook are the exception and not the rule. What does that show?

It shows quite simply that you shouldn't apply it as a "rule".

Sennekuyl...

When people go through very bad things, obviously that's terrible. But I'm not saying "yeah, go on, experience bad things, it's great". I'm talking after the fact, and during. I'm saying that anyone who finds themselves in a bad situation, whatever it might be, can benefit from that outlook, pick themselves up, and move on (closure).

In cases of anxiety and depression one can, but it can't really work for a child or even an adult that is being raped. As perhaps oldskeptic pointed out above, anxiety and depression ARE essentially all in the head, and therefore positive thinking actually can benefit. But rape and incest and physical assualt aren't just figments of ones imagination. They can't be willed away with positive thought. It really is a different kettle of fish.
Last edited by rEvolutionist on Sep 21, 2010 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#182  Postby rEvolutionist » Sep 21, 2010 1:45 am

Oldskeptic wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
No, oldskeptic, I'm not saying that it's commonplace for someone to become stronger as a result of having gone through adversity.

Maybe you are not now, but you have said it. In fact you have portrayed it as the norm.

I think this as well. Raleigh has kind of shifted the goal posts. Now arguably, that is a good thing, as long as he admits that he was wrong to imply it in the first place.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#183  Postby Oldskeptic » Sep 21, 2010 1:46 am

Raleigh wrote::
So yes, an awful lot of people don't become stronger. But they could, if they had the right outlook.

Oldskeptic wrote:
I’ll recommended your self-help program to all the abused three-year-olds that I come across.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#184  Postby Oldskeptic » Sep 21, 2010 1:46 am

So yes, an awful lot of people don't become stronger. But they could, if they had the right outlook.

Oldskeptic wrote:
I’ll recommended your self-help program to all the abused three-year-olds that I come across.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#185  Postby Oldskeptic » Sep 21, 2010 1:47 am

Oldskeptic wrote:

Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#186  Postby rEvolutionist » Sep 21, 2010 1:48 am

Bloody internet, eh Oldskeptic?.... :razz:
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#187  Postby Dracena » Sep 21, 2010 2:08 am

Let's start with this one again.

Raliegh Marsden wrote:Some of you are getting confused. You somehow think that I believe in allowing kids to be abused. I don't.

Yes you fucking do:

What I do believe however is that there's a difference between what you might call every day treatment, ie a good spanking here and there, a clip round the ear 'ole as we say in the UK, and a bit of shouting, and maybe the occasial shake.....and serious stuff like constant beatings and aggressive nastiness and so on. Do I believe that it's ok to spank kids from time to time if nec? Absolutely, yes I do. No problem with that whatsoever. But I don't class that as abuse, it's just normal.

The word abuse isn't defined by how often it happens or how hard you hit or where you hit!

There is plenty of evidence that even the occasional spanking has bad effects, and only bad effects.

So, if you put aside the serious stuff (which does deserve intervention) and focus on the normal stuff, then "if it don't kill ya, it makes you stronger" definitely applies.

No it definetly doesn't! It has the capacity to create a number of problems, like obesity, anorexia, social dysfunctions etc. for the victims and no amount of putting up a brave front (which is what you mean by "positive outlook") is going to mend that.

And if I had kids I'd command respect. How? In every possible way that doesn't involve physical punishment...with the option of using it if it becomes necessary. And if it was necessary, I'd do it anywhere, anytime.

:yuk: Respect is earned, as someone else has pointed out, as soon as you hit your child you have failed as a parent.

But, we're not just talking about that, we're talking about "if it don't kill ya, it makes you stronger" in general.

Which is completely false.
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#188  Postby Scarlett » Sep 21, 2010 9:12 am

Raliegh Marsden wrote:Some of you are getting confused. You somehow think that I believe in allowing kids to be abused. I don't. What I do believe however is that there's a difference between what you might call every day treatment, ie a good spanking here and there, a clip round the ear 'ole as we say in the UK, and a bit of shouting, and maybe the occasial shake.....and serious stuff like constant beatings and aggressive nastiness and so on. Do I believe that it's ok to spank kids from time to time if nec? Absolutely, yes I do. No problem with that whatsoever. But I don't class that as abuse, it's just normal.

So, if you put aside the serious stuff (which does deserve intervention) and focus on the normal stuff, then "if it don't kill ya, it makes you stronger" definitely applies. And if I had kids I'd command respect. How? In every possible way that doesn't involve physical punishment...with the option of using it if it becomes necessary. And if it was necessary, I'd do it anywhere, anytime.

But, we're not just talking about that, we're talking about "if it don't kill ya, it makes you stronger" in general.

This is a truly disturbing view on child rearing

I have three daughters, aged 24, 22 and 3. As you can see I have already brought up two children and I am in the process of the third. I have some quite specific questions to ask you with regard to the statements you have made

At what age do you advocate that smacking/spanking/shaking/shouting should start?
Bearing in mind that, alot of parents will agree when I say, their naughtiest time is around 12 months old to about 30 months old. They have started walking but have no idea of appropriateness or danger. I believe it is our job to teach them appropriate behaviour and how to avoid danger. No, it's not ok to stick your finger in the plug point or climb onto the window ledge, no it's not appropriate to hit your sister or to scream for treats. Personally, the thought of striking or shaking or even shouting at, what can only be described as a baby, for this very normal behaviour is abhorrent to say the least

At what point in your disciplinary process do you decide that smacking/spanking/shaking/shouting should start?
Immediately? Why bother with the educational part of the process, it takes patience
After a set of rules has been covered, e.g. Told once, told twice, they still don't conform so "smack"? Does the small child understand the rules you have set?
Once they have really pushed your buttons and you lose patience? You are then advocating taking your frustrations out on a small child with violence

How do you go about commanding respect from children? You think smacking/spanking/shaking/shouting, even as a last resort, will earn you respect? Bollocks, there is a massive difference between fear and respect, because what I actually think you may mean by "respect" is another catchy phrase that I believe suits your purpose here, "healthy fear". We've heard people talk about how their kids had a healthy fear of them, the knowledge of that strike made them toe the line. I bent over backwards to never frighten my children, it was my job to protect them, I got respect from my kids by loving them and guiding them gently. Did they push my buttons? Absolutely, I often had to leave a room, take deep breaths and return once calm. Love and respect go hand in hand when it comes to kids, that respect is rightly lost when you use physical punishment

At what age is phsical punishment of a child inappropriate? After the toddler age I have already referred to, the most trying years for any parent are a child's teenage years. You think smacking/spanking/shaking/shouting at a 15 year old is appropriate too. Maybe you think that that "healthy fear" will have kicked in by then and you won't need to, boy are you in for a shock. And with the lesson that they have learned that violence is the way forward don't be surprised when they smack you right back

And as an aside "A clip round the ear'ole" is a serious assault, if I saw a person strike a child around the head I'd remove the child from them myself

And with regard to your other "catchy phrase", it's still bollocks, it's been demonstrated by many to be bollocks and absolutely does not apply to assaulted children

Edit to add: With regard to your use of the word "stronger". Do you mean stronger than the person would have been without the physical punishment? Or stronger than other people in general?
Last edited by Scarlett on Sep 21, 2010 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#189  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 21, 2010 9:21 am

This

Raliegh Marsden wrote:
If the fact that I can believe what I like is fair enough, then that's that, there you go, it's fair. You can't go around interfering in how others bring up their kids. It's the privilege of the parent to dictate what's what to the kid, and no one else's.

Does not match this

Raliegh Marsden » Sep 20, 2010 11:38 pm

So, if you put aside the serious stuff (which does deserve intervention) and focus on the normal stuff, then "if it don't kill ya, it makes you stronger" definitely applies. And if I had kids I'd command respect. How? In every possible way that doesn't involve physical punishment...with the option of using it if it becomes necessary. And if it was necessary, I'd do it anywhere, anytime.

Your original statement, your baseless assertion has been defeated by your own argument. Your assertion was held up for scrutiny, found to be wanting and even by your own words, shown to be wrong.

Skepticism 1 - 0 Baseless Assertion.

:goodnight:
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#190  Postby babel » Sep 21, 2010 10:18 am

Raliegh Marsden » Sep 20, 2010 11:38 pm

isn't the clue in the bolded sentence?
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#191  Postby DanDare » Sep 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Dracena wrote:
What I do believe however is that there's a difference between what you might call every day treatment, ie a good spanking here and there, a clip round the ear 'ole as we say in the UK, and a bit of shouting, and maybe the occasial shake.....and serious stuff like constant beatings and aggressive nastiness and so on. Do I believe that it's ok to spank kids from time to time if nec? Absolutely, yes I do. No problem with that whatsoever. But I don't class that as abuse, it's just normal.

The word abuse isn't defined by how often it happens or how hard you hit or where you hit!

There is plenty of evidence that even the occasional spanking has bad effects, and only bad effects.

And shaking has been shown to cause death, permanent crippling and brain damage.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#192  Postby Raliegh Marsden » Sep 21, 2010 12:47 pm

rEv...

Whether the problem is in the mind or an actual physical event, it's still an experience, and you still have a choice of whether to become a "victim" (poor me) or get over it, pull your socks up and move on, and use what you've learned from the experience to improve your life.
Consciousness is one of the great problems facing science...most scientists cannot even define it, let alone explain it. Professor Michio Kaku.

Where is there evidence that people are at their very best when they are challenged-Oldskeptic
Raliegh Marsden
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#193  Postby rEvolutionist » Sep 21, 2010 12:58 pm

Whether the problem is in the mind or an actual physical event, it's still an experience, and you still have a choice of whether to become a "victim" (poor me) or get over it, pull your socks up and move on, and use what you've learned from the experience to improve your life.

See now you're just moving the goalposts again. :naughty: You said earlier: "I'm talking after the fact, and during".

And besides, physical events may not be just "an experience". They could actually be a disability and/or pain issue. Look, once again, there are so many counter-examples to your principle, that I really think you should just move on from this line of reasoning.
Last edited by rEvolutionist on Sep 21, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#194  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 21, 2010 1:08 pm

Have you considered a career in Trauma management or victim counselling? Do you understand what victims of persistent abuse go through? You're going on as though this positive mental attitude idea of yours is some coverall attitude which should protect anyone from falling into some negative victim mentality. As has been mentioned here on numerous occassions, the fact that there are some exceptionally strong characters who battle though adversity and come out of things as an apparently stronger person does not prove any rule that a bad experience makes you stronger. All it shows is that some people deal with difficulties better than others.

The reason the exceptional people stand out is precisely that. They are exceptional, exceptional to the norm. They succeed where many would fail. I still repeat my earlier question which has yet to be answered. How many people who have overcome these very trying events and emerged "stronger" feel the experience was worth it?

As for your anxiety attack experience, if you were going to ressurect that, very basic psychology can explain what you did and provide an evidence base for exposure to stimulus, flooding, whatever you might want to call it that you did. Whilst this approach may work in psychological neuroses, I'd challenge you to find a case study for using the same process of recovery for rape/abuse victims.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#195  Postby Scarlett » Sep 21, 2010 1:37 pm

Is it because I'm female that my posts can go largely ignored by fucking theists?
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#196  Postby Raliegh Marsden » Sep 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Is it because I is black?
Consciousness is one of the great problems facing science...most scientists cannot even define it, let alone explain it. Professor Michio Kaku.

Where is there evidence that people are at their very best when they are challenged-Oldskeptic
Raliegh Marsden
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#197  Postby rEvolutionist » Sep 21, 2010 1:52 pm

Paula1 wrote:Is it because I'm female that my posts can go largely ignored by fucking theists?

Well you can't be priests (catholics) so your views can't really be that important can they?

:P
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#198  Postby Raliegh Marsden » Sep 21, 2010 1:56 pm

Victim mentality.

Raliegh Marsden
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#199  Postby sennekuyl » Sep 21, 2010 1:58 pm

Be fair Paula1, your posts have more than 3 paragraphs. They also contain difficult questions to answer, more so if you are holding a position that is weakened severely by the logical consequence of your questions.

@ RM. The only verifications we have is the pixel colours on our screen, which give no indication to the state of melanin in your skin. It is also dishonest to bring that up with any reason to imply Paula1s motivations as racist.

While you are righting a thorough reply to the astute Paula1, Perhaps you can keep these points in mind? No answer required; it would in fact be disingenuous without reply to other more poignant posts.
... you can't go around interfering in how others bring up their kids.

(P1 of the thread) suggests we are talking from a societies point of view. Yet you keep arguing from an individuals reaction to adversity. Quotes such as this
you still have a choice of whether to become a "victim" (poor me) or get over it, pull your socks up and move on, and use what you've learned from the experience to improve your life.

You introduced this line of the debate as society dealing with adversity; either admit you were wrong, and the platitude doesn't and shouldn't be applied to societies members, or argue from that POV please.
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#200  Postby Scarlett » Sep 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Raliegh Marsden wrote:Victim mentality.

No Raleigh, a simple question, like the others I asked. What is your purpose of not addressing my posts in the detail you sometimes choose to address others. The only difference I can see is a gender one but do correct me if I'm wrong
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism