Without Hope for an Afterlife, What Are We Living For?

If we have no hope, what are we living for?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Without Hope for an Afterlife, What Are We Living For?

#21  Postby Weaver » Sep 30, 2014 10:06 pm

Arnold Layne wrote:
carl wrote:
Animavore wrote:Everything I look forward to is meaningful to me. They may not be meaningful to you, but I don't think you're in a position to judge what is meaningful to me.

I'm not in the position to judge you. But maybe the rest of us still want to have an answer. If you don't want to open yourself up to the rest of us, shall we just talk about the weather instead?

Who are the rest of us?

His classmates in whatever course he's taking which has a "challenge teh ebil atheists!" requirement.

As for me - I live for the pleasure of enjoying each day, for the physical pleasures of food and drink and good company, for the joy of getting and playing with interesting toys, for the pleasure of learning new things, for the enjoyment of helping others, and for the satisfaction of providing for my descendants.

There being absolutely no evidence for any of the various claimed versions of an afterlife, I don't waste time wishing or hoping or planning on experiencing one, I live my one and only life to the fullest I can.

Oh, and I also enjoy getting into arguments with over-credulous theists on the Internet on occasion.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 30, 2014 10:11 pm

The question kind of answers itself:
Everything!

Answer this one:
What's the point of living if you will live in heaven forever in death?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Fenrir » Sep 30, 2014 10:23 pm

I'm living for the same things you are.

I'm just not insecure enough to tag them with insubstantial fluffy meanings so I feel superior.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#24  Postby BlackBart » Sep 30, 2014 10:43 pm

Why would I hope for an eternal afterlife? You might be able to amuse yourself for a couple of thousand years, but after a few quadrillion years it'd get a little repetitive and after a few billion googlplex years I'm pretty sure it'd be a living death of boredom. And that's the first 0%
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Macdoc » Sep 30, 2014 10:57 pm

carl wrote:
So we have a few coming clean and stating they "are living for nothing". This is brutally honest. Without an afterlife, there is NOTHING to live for.

what a sad deluded view point ....

If you can't find wonder EVERY SINGLE FUCKING DAY you are a blind toad.

start here

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/

then go here

http://www.boredpanda.com/happy-children-playing/

You perhaps should channel their joy instead of your gloom based on a delusion.

I'm packing in every part of the planet and as much understanding of our wonderful universe as I can....and generally enjoying every minute.

Coming up ....cross country with the kid on our motorcycles.

He's my "afterlife"....hw will see wonders I won't.

I've seen wonders around the world he hasn't..

https://picasaweb.google.com/113408714888195024530

.every day is an adventure. Wake up ....smell the coffee
Last edited by Macdoc on Sep 30, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Pebble » Sep 30, 2014 11:03 pm

Claiming 'the afterlife' is the source of purpose is essentially saying that future rewards are all that matter. While delayed gratification has its place, the pleasure to be enjoyed from living in the present is not to be dismissed as irrelevant.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Macdoc » Sep 30, 2014 11:09 pm

Claiming 'the afterlife' is the source of purpose

......"there's one born every minute....:coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#28  Postby scott1328 » Sep 30, 2014 11:11 pm

My dog has no thumbs and therefore can't open his pouches of dog food. i live from day to day to keep my dog fed.

Also other people seem to want me around.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Weaver » Sep 30, 2014 11:14 pm

carl wrote:So we have a few coming clean and stating they "are living for nothing". This is brutally honest. Without an afterlife, there is NOTHING to live for.

Nonsense. Utter rubbish.

If nothing else, there's this:

Or, alternatively, for others there are other things to live for - such as this:
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby zoon » Sep 30, 2014 11:24 pm

purplerat wrote:What hope does a theist have for an afterlife? If you are really truly sure it's going to be great then why haven't you already gotten started with it? And if you haven't you must really just be incredibly terrified of what may or may not come after you die. That doesn't sound like much fun to me. Certainly not anything I would call hope.

Yes, I think if I believed the standard Christian version of an afterlife, I would probably spend most of this one worrying about hell. Not feeling there's a real chance of being tortured for all eternity if I put a foot wrong is great. :cheers:
zoon

Print view this post

#31  Postby carl » Sep 30, 2014 11:43 pm

I assume most of us are motivated daily by more than the acquiring of food, fun, and shelter.
What is that extra something?

BTW, for those who say there is no future hope, what would you tell your kids if they asked you the same question?
carl

Name: carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 30, 2014 11:46 pm

Weaver wrote:
Nonsense. Utter rubbish.

If nothing else, there's this:

Bobcat Goldthwait?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby carl » Sep 30, 2014 11:51 pm

Pebble wrote:Claiming 'the afterlife' is the source of purpose is essentially saying that future rewards are all that matter. While delayed gratification has its place, the pleasure to be enjoyed from living in the present is not to be dismissed as irrelevant.

I agree with what you said about the present but since most of us do indeed plan for the future, and very carefully and with plenty of gusto - such as obtaining degrees and training to start a future career, this shows that, although we may brag about living for the moment, we do a whole lot of planning and preparation for the future too.

Therefore, it seems most of us do indeed relish the prospect of living further into the future rather than just for today.
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby carl » Sep 30, 2014 11:53 pm

scott1328 wrote:My dog has no thumbs and therefore can't open his pouches of dog food. i live from day to day to keep my dog fed.

So in all seriousness, if someone asked you what your main priority or goal in life is, it is to feed that dog.
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 30, 2014 11:55 pm

carl wrote:
scott1328 wrote:My dog has no thumbs and therefore can't open his pouches of dog food. i live from day to day to keep my dog fed.

So in all seriousness, if someone asked you what your main priority or goal in life is, it is to feed that dog.

What's wrong with that? Some people love their dogs, is that wrong?
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Ven. Kwan Tam Woo » Sep 30, 2014 11:58 pm

Perhaps you should spend the rest of your (current) life trying to figure that out - it certainly sounds like you'll need that long!
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within."
- Cicero

The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex
Ven. Kwan Tam Woo

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#37  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Oct 01, 2014 12:00 am

carl wrote:
Pebble wrote:Claiming 'the afterlife' is the source of purpose is essentially saying that future rewards are all that matter. While delayed gratification has its place, the pleasure to be enjoyed from living in the present is not to be dismissed as irrelevant.

I agree with what you said about the present but since most of us do indeed plan for the future, and very carefully and with plenty of gusto - such as obtaining degrees and training to start a future career, this shows that, although we may brag about living for the moment, we do a whole lot of planning and preparation for the future too.

Therefore, it seems most of us do indeed relish the prospect of living further into the future rather than just for today.

Are you preparing for Valhalla? How about honey cakes, Paradise an 72 Virgins? Are you sure you have chosen the right afterlife to prepare for? Get it wrong and you you will burn...

... or worse, wasted your one and only life on preparing for an empty promise.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby carl » Oct 01, 2014 12:01 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Answer this one:

You have read the Bible I assume: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Therefore, we are definitely NOT living in death.
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Ven. Kwan Tam Woo » Oct 01, 2014 12:04 am

carl wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:Answer this one:

You have read the Bible I assume: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

Therefore, we are definitely NOT living in death.

Stop violating the FUA.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within."
- Cicero

The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex
Ven. Kwan Tam Woo

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Shrunk » Oct 01, 2014 12:06 am

carl wrote:So we have a few coming clean and stating they "are living for nothing". This is brutally honest. Without an afterlife, there is NOTHING to live for.

What an odd idea. It seems not to make any sense at all.

Suppose I am looking forward to a really great meal. Then I enjoy the meal, and it's just as good as I had hoped it would be. How is that changed by the fact that I eventually finished the meal? If the meal never ended, if i kept eating, and eating, and eating, and never got full or lost my hunger, but just kept eating it without end, I fail to see how that would make the experience any better. In fact, it seems that that would actually be quite horrendous, even torturous.

If the afterlife actually existed, almost everyone there would be begging for release by death well before the first millenium was up.
Last edited by Shrunk on Oct 01, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism