Folding@Home Team: 182116

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: FoldingHome Team: 182116

#1441  Postby kiore » Mar 16, 2012 7:29 am

THWOTH wrote:My completed work unit won't send to the work server completed 14 March. Can't find mention of it on the forum (Project: 6881, Run 114, Clone 9, Gen 370). Is this a local issue with my machine? :dunno:

Happens sometimes, check the log file for any reasons.
Try quitting and restarting.. check your firewall is not blocking..
Did it download new work?
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#1442  Postby THWOTH » Mar 16, 2012 10:48 am

I turned it off and turned it on again. Log file ends with multiple attemts to contact work server. I've made no changes to firewall settings and the exemptions permitting the core process still appear to apply. And no, I haven't downloaded a new work unit as upload and download connection via HTTP return 'couldn't connect to the work server' in the log file. I'll give it to 8pm tonight Eastern Standard Time tonight and then think about dumping the work data. Can you manually up- and download wudata files?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1443  Postby DanDare » Mar 18, 2012 5:31 am

Bookmarky. Is the F@H related to FoldIt? My daughter, Phaedra (high school) has been working through FoldIt and is frustrated that she doesn't have university level chemistry skills yet. (I'm estimating a couple of more months for that, you should see her school assignment on DNA replication and gene regulation!)
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1444  Postby THWOTH » Mar 26, 2012 8:17 am

Looks like sig images are down today. Or is that just for me? :ask:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1445  Postby kiore » Mar 26, 2012 8:43 am

THWOTH wrote:Looks like sig images are down today. Or is that just for me? :ask:

Seems to be me too...
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#1446  Postby DKeane » Mar 30, 2012 12:27 am

Just pulled the trigger on a I7 2600 (non-K) running @ 3.4 ghz and motherboard. I'll be interested to see how much I can generate from a ppd perspective. Should be installed by end of next week.
DKeane

Name: Dennis Keane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1447  Postby kiore » Mar 30, 2012 6:00 am

DKeane wrote:Just pulled the trigger on a I7 2600 (non-K) running @[color=#CC0000][b] 3.4[/b][/color] ghz and motherboard. I'll be interested to see how much I can generate from a ppd perspective. Should be installed by end of next week.

A very powerful cpu, I think you can still overclock these ones even without the multiplier being unlocked depending on your board.
Enable HT and let it fly :thumbup:
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#1448  Postby THWOTH » Mar 30, 2012 7:05 am

If I overclock my netbook will it increase my post count too?

:shifty:
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1449  Postby kiore » Mar 30, 2012 7:13 am

THWOTH wrote:If I overclock my netbook will it increase my post count too?

:shifty:

Your post count? Ha just posting that in this thread will increase your post count.
We are talking PPD (points per day) and yes if you could ( :popcorn: ) force the multiplier on your net book you could increase yours.. Or melt it.. :mrgreen: but really you are unlikely to melt anything with an overclock, usual result is BSOD and when I overclock I go for BSOD and wind back from their until I get it to post.
Extremely difficult and anyway not recommended to OC netbooks, but tell us how it goes :mrgreen:
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#1450  Postby DKeane » Mar 30, 2012 10:43 am

I think you can still overclock these ones even without the multiplier being unlocked depending on your board.

The CPU is going to be in a HTPC, so I bought a non-overclocking motherboard - worried about too much heat generation in the cabinet it is stored in. I may get a couple of USB cabinet fans of Amazon also.

I know the processor is way overdone for HTPC duties, but I've future proofed myself for a while and I get the folding benefit.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1451  Postby kiore » Mar 30, 2012 10:56 am

DKeane wrote:
I think you can still overclock these ones even without the multiplier being unlocked depending on your board.

The CPU is going to be in a HTPC, so I bought a non-overclocking motherboard - worried about too much heat generation in the cabinet it is stored in. I may get a couple of USB cabinet fans of Amazon also.

I know the processor is way overdone for HTPC duties, but I've future proofed myself for a while and I get the folding benefit.

And hey, they are not so expensive and seem to be an excellent reliable model that just happens to kick arse folding SMPs.. :smoke: and whatever other multithreading things that need to be done.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#1452  Postby DKeane » Apr 04, 2012 2:41 am

So - just received and built the HTPC with the I7-2600 on a mini-ITX. With the 8 cores, it seems I may be getting some pretty large units, since I am getting some lag on windows media center (which is how we primarily watch TV in the house). I've set the SMP client to "small" units, but if none are available - I guess I can end up with some pretty large ones. I'm trying to think about ways to reduce the folding overhead - either turn off hyperthreading or possibly restrict the SMP to a fewer number of cores (6 or something similar). Right now I am running project 7142. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

DKeane
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1453  Postby DKeane » Apr 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Just because everyone is on the edge of their seat, I turned off hyperthreading and deleted the current work unit and now WMC is much more responsive. I think I will play a bit with adding hyperthreading back in and limiting the SMP to a subset of the total of 8 cores (and see which configuration gets me faster throughput). Is there some line that FAH draws where if you have 7 cores you get normal units and 8 will get you huge ones?

If I am asking questions that are easily answered on some other FAQ, please let me know.

DKeane
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1454  Postby kiore » Apr 05, 2012 8:19 am

DKeane wrote:Just because everyone is on the edge of their seat, I turned off hyperthreading and deleted the current work unit and now WMC is much more responsive. I think I will play a bit with adding hyperthreading back in and limiting the SMP to a subset of the total of 8 cores (and see which configuration gets me faster throughput). Is there some line that FAH draws where if you have 7 cores you get normal units and 8 will get you huge ones?

If I am asking questions that are easily answered on some other FAQ, please let me know.

DKeane

No you just get normal SMPs unless you request otherwise, it used to be that you could is super overclocked have attempted Big Advanced ones but that option nolonger open for quadcores on HT.
The bigger normal SMPs will have longer deadlines, you should try on 6 or just stick with 4, people have reported problems with trying with 7. I understand that running 8 was causing some problems as you were really maxing out your 4 cores there.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#1455  Postby DKeane » Apr 05, 2012 11:58 am

understand that running 8 was causing some problems as you were really maxing out your 4 cores there.

I have decided that there is another issue here, the amount of lag even running on only a couple of cores is way to much - especially considering I have two other lower spec systems that run the smp client with out a hint of delay.

So, either my power supply is undersized at 400W or there is an issue with the heatsink on the CPU. During the install a couple of the pins that attach the sink to the chip were broken. The sink sits there pretty well, but I'll pick up a new sink/paste/power supply this evening and see if one of these two issues resolves the problem. Troubleshooting is fun!
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1456  Postby DKeane » Apr 06, 2012 11:09 pm

So got realtemp and found out that I was hitting the TJMAX temp on the proc due to an improperly seated cpu cooler. Purchased a thermaltake (a little loud), but now my temps are good, I'm ticking off a percent of the WU every 45 seconds, and there is no lag. Thanks for the sounding board!

DKeane
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1457  Postby kiore » Apr 06, 2012 11:20 pm

DKeane wrote:So got realtemp and found out that I was hitting the TJMAX temp on the proc due to an improperly seated cpu cooler. Purchased a thermaltake (a little loud), but now my temps are good, I'm ticking off a percent of the WU every 45 seconds, and there is no lag. Thanks for the sounding board!

DKeane

Good you found the problem, the PSU is a tad small depending on the rating and what else you are running.
The old thermal issues with the cpu problem eh, used to be it would bsod if got too hot but these modern board just slow stuff down. I still think running all 4 cores on HT on an SMP is really maxing the system if you are using for other multithreaded stuff nd that 6 could actually be quicker. But no doubt you'll let us know.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#1458  Postby DKeane » Apr 07, 2012 2:35 am

I certainly will! I did a check on the PSU and I should be good. The only other power draw is the worlds smallest graphics card and a 3 TB hd. I don't use the dvd drive (physical media is dead).

One question. Should my user name and passkey return bonus on this machine immediately, or do I need to complete 10 units on this machine also?
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1459  Postby DKeane » Apr 08, 2012 10:43 am

I still think running all 4 cores on HT on an SMP is really maxing the system if you are using for other multithreaded stuff nd that 6 could actually be quicker. But no doubt you'll let us know.

I will :). 6 cores is almost a linear 25% increase in time between percentage ticks, while 7 cores results in only a 7-8 second slow down between percentages. So I am running the 7 cores now.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1460  Postby THWOTH » Apr 08, 2012 11:53 am

You need quantumthreading there DK - I know this bloke who can get some good Russian stuff for you, only a couple of hundred bucks, PM me your bank details..... :whisper: Shh. Mum's the word right....

:D
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology