New laptop

Are they actually getting better?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: New laptop

#161  Postby felltoearth » Apr 19, 2019 9:11 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
You don’t do social media? Since when?

Never have.

No kidding?

No honestly. Never had an account anywhere. Looked at FB when it first appeared but was not impressed. This forum is the closest I get. My wife has a FB account because of her various social clubs. I hate it when you are forced to join a FB group. I just refuse.

My phone has no Google account. It works fine without one.

Wow, this is all news to me.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#162  Postby Svartalf » Apr 19, 2019 9:27 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

I do but it is for me just a phone. I dont do social media. I have public transport timetables and a walking app.

Never have.

No kidding?

neither have I, but then they say I'm weird.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#163  Postby felltoearth » Apr 20, 2019 12:33 am

Svartalf wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

Never have.

No kidding?

neither have I, but then they say I'm weird.

Difference is, this is the first you’ve mentioned it.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#164  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 20, 2019 5:41 am

Are Svarty and I the only weirdo's here?

Even so I dont have anything to do with social media using Google maps can deliver surprising results. I typed in my own name into Google. You never know and up came a few searches I had carried out into where I lived in London and my searches into the Edinburgh City archives. For the London searches I never used my name yet Google coupled them to my searches with name in the Edinburgh City archives. Now that is weird. My name has been coupled to my IP address? Weird.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#165  Postby LucidFlight » Apr 20, 2019 5:45 am

Scot Dutchy, you should get one of those Alexa things. I hear they're very good.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#166  Postby tuco » Apr 20, 2019 5:49 am

lol

On topic, guys if you want new hardware don't ask here ffs. Unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible :)
tuco

Print view this post

#167  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 20, 2019 6:04 am

LucidFlight wrote:Scot Dutchy, you should get one of those Alexa things. I hear they're very good.

You are joking. First place it is from Amazon. Never touch it. Second it is for morons.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#168  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 20, 2019 6:08 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:Scot Dutchy, you should get one of those Alexa things. I hear they're very good.

You are joking. First place it is from Amazon. Never touch it. Second it is for morons.

You should contemplate the data that lie behind the product recommendations you get. After all, the curators of those data know your old address in Edinburgh.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#169  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 20, 2019 6:13 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

You should contemplate the data that lie behind the product recommendations you get. After all, the curators of those data know your old address in Edinburgh.

They would not know my old address. I was never registered there. I left when I was 17.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#170  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 20, 2019 6:21 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

They would not know my old address. I was never registered there. I left when I was 17.

That's what they want you to think... not that they care about what you think, other than what you might buy, sell, or process.

If you ever try to log onto a site, like a bank or brokerage that has sophisticated authentication software, you'll see what I mean.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Apr 20, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#171  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 20, 2019 6:24 am

No. Sorry. The link was made between the IP address and the name I typed in. Nothing to do where I existed in Edinburgh.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#172  Postby Hermit » Apr 20, 2019 6:29 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Even so I dont have anything to do with social media using Google maps can deliver surprising results.

Forums are social media too, and they are hackable. A couple of years ago I discovered that the atheist foundation's forum was hacked when I became curious about why I was the lucky recipient of all that spam all of a sudden, and decided to check if my email address is publicly available via Google. Googling for my email address I found a list of 126 forums that had been hacked into by some hobby hacker. If an amateur can do that, imagine what a professional could do. Then it's just a matter of doing some cross-tabbing to discover your political attitudes, personal affairs, if you had frequented that LGBT hangout while you were married, what you had for breakfast, and whatever else the snoop's boss wants to find out about you. I don't think any of the Australian Atheist forum members were ever alerted to the fact that their emails, and possibly other information, had been harvested.

tuco wrote:...guys if you want new hardware don't ask here ffs. Unless I am missing something, which is entirely possible :)

I for one managed to glean some useful information from this thread, but thanks for your advice. I'll file it in the appropriate location.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#173  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 20, 2019 6:39 am

Cross tabbing with what?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#174  Postby tuco » Apr 20, 2019 6:41 am

Well, there are a specialized sites for such kind of questions, where on 9 pages you would get more and useful info. It makes little sense to me to ask here, where useful info about the subject is rare and gets lots in off-topic. But, as I said perhaps I am missing something and to get useful info which would lead to an informed decision on investment, is not the primary goal.
tuco

Print view this post

#175  Postby Svartalf » Apr 20, 2019 7:45 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:

Amazon is a very nice platform to get stuff that is hard to get from other sources.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#176  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 20, 2019 8:54 am

I just take a look of a picture of the git (the one with the idiotic name) and that's enough.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#177  Postby aban57 » May 20, 2019 8:46 am

Just bought a new desktop. Well most of the peices to build a new one, my previous config was 5 years old.
It contains ;
Screen : Acer Nitro VG270Kbmiipx FreeSync
RAM : DDR4 Ballistix Tactical, 8 Go, 3000 MHz, CAS 15 X 2
Processor : AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (3.7 GHz)
Motheboard : Asus PRIME X470 PRO
Graphic card : Asus GeForce RTX 2060 DUAL OC, 6 Go
M2 HDD : PNY CS3030, 500 Go, M.2 (Type 2280)
I'll salvage the rest from my current computer.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#178  Postby kiore » May 21, 2019 11:12 pm

aban57 wrote:Just bought a new desktop. Well most of the peices to build a new one, my previous config was 5 years old.
It contains ;

Nice hardware, the RTX cards are awesome I have the 2080ti in my current desktop and will be swapping it into my new build next month when I put it together. I almost went threadripper for cpu out of my old allegiance to AMD but the rig already hot enough so a modest i7 8th gen with a 65w tdp will do the job for me.
That's a nice mobo lots of features without a huge price tag. I am going M2 as well for my OS but only a 250 for me, have never used one in build before.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#179  Postby aban57 » May 22, 2019 7:16 am

kiore wrote:
aban57 wrote:Just bought a new desktop. Well most of the peices to build a new one, my previous config was 5 years old.
It contains ;

Nice hardware, the RTX cards are awesome I have the 2080ti in my current desktop and will be swapping it into my new build next month when I put it together. I almost went threadripper for cpu out of my old allegiance to AMD but the rig already hot enough so a modest i7 8th gen with a 65w tdp will do the job for me.
That's a nice mobo lots of features without a huge price tag. I am going M2 as well for my OS but only a 250 for me, have never used one in build before.

Me neither. I initially thought about taking 2 M2, one for the OS and one for the games. I always have 3 partitions, no matter how many HDD I have (OS, games and all the rest, documents, music and tv shows/movies). Instead I took a bigger one and will make 2 partitions out of it.
The problem here is that my old setup was on DDR3, and I wanted to go on 4K. So I had to change pretty much everything, except for the case, DVD player, sound card and cooling system.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#180  Postby DougC » May 22, 2019 2:31 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:

A mate told me to get one, with the immortal line,

"Now you would be sure the voices at not only in your head."

Git.
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext