Transhumanism

the search for digital immortality

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Transhumanism

#1  Postby kennyc » Dec 15, 2014 11:25 am

Transhumanism and the search for digital immortality

With enough scientific research, we could potentially become immortal.

Rapid advances in medical and cognitive technology, ranging from artificial skulls to mind-controlled prosthetic limbs, point to a time in the not-too-distant future when we may be able to replace our entire bodies with artificial, manufactured parts. After all, the human mind is nothing but software running on the “machine” of the brain—software that could potentially run on hardware made of chips and wires instead of neurons and blood vessels.

Sound intriguing? Welcome to the endless wormhole of biology and futurology that is transhumanism.

Science has been nipping at the heels of religion for millennia. As science has advanced, it has forced religious theories about the material world to evolve.

Many religious people agree that transhumanism and religion are incompatible, and therefore conclude that the project of transhumanism is destined to fail. As Mike Adams wrote passionately in his article “Transhumanism debunked: Why drinking the Kurzweil Kool-Aid will only make you dead, not immortal,” it is absolutely impossible for a human consciousness to exist in, or be transferred into, a machine body. His logic is straightforward: Everyone knows machines have no free will and no soul. Since people do have souls and free will, it is impossible for humans to have machine bodies. Therefore anyone who tries to transfer his consciousness into an artificial body, Adams warns, will simply die.

http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-tit ... mortality/
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Transhumanism

#2  Postby Animavore » Dec 15, 2014 12:12 pm

Paging pl0bs.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Made of Stars » Dec 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Re. Mike Adams' claims cited above: Any argument that starts with 'Everyone knows...' has already lost.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby MarkS » Dec 15, 2014 1:33 pm

I'm sure this has been raised before - and correct me if I'm wrong, but surely any "upload" would simply be a copy - I would still have to die.
“Commander Vimes didn't like the phrase 'The innocent have nothing to fear', believing the innocent had everything to fear, mostly from the guilty but in the longer term even more from those who say things like 'The innocent have nothing to fear'.”
MarkS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 15, 2014 1:38 pm

I think transhumanism, as described here, is doomed to fail, not because it conflicts with religion, but because the electronics industry is becoming mature, with the failure of Moore's Law (see another recent thread), and the complexity and plasticity of neural connections in a human brain is currently too great to emulate.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby kennyc » Dec 15, 2014 1:41 pm

MarkS wrote:I'm sure this has been raised before - and correct me if I'm wrong, but surely any "upload" would simply be a copy - I would still have to die.

Two souls then?

:think:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby mindhack » Dec 15, 2014 4:57 pm

A New Age - Silicon Valley - religion.
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#8  Postby home_ » Dec 15, 2014 5:44 pm

MarkS wrote:I'm sure this has been raised before - and correct me if I'm wrong, but surely any "upload" would simply be a copy - I would still have to die.

Maybe you could just redirect electricity from brain onto silicon chips, and the activity of the brain would just cease.
home_

Print view this post

#9  Postby THWOTH » Dec 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Made of Stars wrote:Re. Mike Adams' claims cited above: Any argument that starts with 'Everyone knows...' has already lost.

And everybody knows you can take that to the bank.

:whistle:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Macdoc » Dec 15, 2014 6:26 pm

I think transhumanism, as described here, is doomed to fail, not because it conflicts with religion, but because the electronics industry is becoming mature, with the failure of Moore's Law (see another recent thread), and the complexity and plasticity of neural connections in a human brain is currently too great to emulate.

Bullshit...unsupported crap. Plasticity is an advantage not a barrier.

By 2005 the first single cellular model was completed. The first artificial cellular neocortical column of 10,000 cells was built by 2008.
By July 2011 a cellular mesocircuit of 100 neocortical columns with a million cells in total was built.

A cellular rat brain is planned for 2014 with 100 mesocircuits totalling a hundred million cells.

Finally a cellular human brain is predicted possible by 2023 equivalent to 1000 rat brains with a total of a hundred billion cells.[8][9]

Now that the column is finished, the project is currently busying itself with the publishing of initial results in scientific literature, and pursuing two separate goals:

construction of a simulation on the molecular level,[1] which is desirable since it allows studying the effects of gene expression;
simplification of the column simulation to allow for parallel simulation of large numbers of connected columns, with the ultimate goal of simulating a whole neocortex (which in humans consists of about 1 million cortical columns).[contradictory]
Funding[edit]

The project is funded primarily by the Swiss government and the Future and Emerging Technologies (FET) Flagship grant from the European Commission,[10] and secondarily by grants and some donations from private individuals. The EPFL bought the Blue Gene computer at a reduced cost because at that stage it was still a prototype and IBM was interested in exploring how different applications would perform on the machine. BBP was viewed a validation of the Blue Gene supercomputer concept.[11]

Documentary[edit]
A 10 part documentary is being made by film director Noah Hutton, with each installment detailing the year long workings of the project at the EPFL. Having started filming in 2009, the documentary is planned to be released in 2020, after the years of filming and editing have finished. Regular contributions from Henry Markram and the rest of the team provide an insight into the Blue Brain Project, while similar research tasks across the world are touched on.[12]

•••

The I in "I would have to die" is where the concept hinges. The wetware version indeed would have to die at some point but a hardware version of the neural net formerly known as "you" complete with memories etc would continue.
Is that "YOU"? ....the hardware version might have some questions.....family and friends certainly would....but I do suspect that the new you would be quickly accepted just like a transition from baby to child to adolescent and maturiy and old age are accepted.

Neural nets are plastic and so are the interactions with others in their own....we like to anthropomorphize - one reason robots are being geared to show emotion visually to encourage that bonding.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Chrisw » Dec 15, 2014 6:51 pm

Macdoc wrote:
By 2005 the first single cellular model was completed. The first artificial cellular neocortical column of 10,000 cells was built by 2008.
By July 2011 a cellular mesocircuit of 100 neocortical columns with a million cells in total was built.

A cellular rat brain is planned for 2014 with 100 mesocircuits totalling a hundred million cells.

We're coming to the end of 2014 now. Did that last one happen?

I'd have thought it would be big news if we had simulated rat brains.
Chrisw

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Macdoc » Dec 15, 2014 7:09 pm

HAve not seen it - might be worth chasing...

Here is their blog

http://community.frontiersin.org/people ... ject/54186

Latest article is more than a year old

http://www.frontiersin.org/news/Neural_ ... _Waves/369

Larger scale combined effort

https://www.humanbrainproject.eu
Last edited by Macdoc on Dec 15, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 15, 2014 7:18 pm

Macdoc wrote:

... Plasticity is an advantage not a barrier.

D'uh! That was exactly my point! We cannot currently emulate the human brain, because silicon chips would not provide enough plasticity, and the failure of Moore's law means we cannot expect to do much better in the foreseeable future.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Steve » Dec 15, 2014 7:31 pm

If evolution proves nothing else it is that we will die in our current form. And I hardly think our current form is the most caring specimen possible. If it can be done, it is worth considering. Presumably along the way we will get some kind of USB wetware hardware link so I could instantly access wikipedia as if it were memory. I am sure religions will be at the fore front with their beliefs on one of these memory sticks.

And we will all need sexual re education as well. Why make more wetware? The old versions will just die off.

Then we will have adapted to survive in a hard vacuum and who cares how long it takes to reach the next galaxy.

In fact, if this is possible it seems probable there is already an intergalactic community living in the ions and we are still too backward to have found it. It would seem primordial to cling to the wetware. Some may continue, obviously. Why upload 9 billion?

Me? I want to stay the way I am. But I like the idea of these new "people" being developed. Just so long as they let me die a normal death, and they treat the universe with kindness.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Chrisw » Dec 15, 2014 7:49 pm

Macdoc wrote:HAve not seen it - might be worth chasing...

Here is their blog

http://community.frontiersin.org/people ... ject/54186

Latest article is more than a year old

http://www.frontiersin.org/news/Neural_ ... _Waves/369

Larger scale combined effort

https://www.humanbrainproject.eu

Most of the stuff on their main website dates back from 2011.

Here is an interesting article from back in March 2008 when they claimed the rat brain would be ready in two years time (but by 2011 it was still three years off).

Even back then they said that they were being held back by lack of computing power. The article comments:

But if computing speeds continue to develop at their current exponential pace, and energy efficiency improves, Markram believes that he’ll be able to model a complete human brain on a single machine in ten years or less.

But computing speeds weren't continuing to develop at an exponential pace in 2008, in fact they were barely improving at all and still aren't.

What would it take to emulate a human brain using contemporary technology:

Markram estimates that in order to accurately simulate the trillion synapses in the human brain, you’d need to be able to process about 500 petabytes of data (peta being a million billion, or 10 to the fifteenth power). That’s about 200 times more information than is stored on all of Google’s servers. (Given current technology, a machine capable of such power would be the size of several football fields.) Energy consumption is another huge problem. The human brain requires about 25 watts of electricity to operate. Markram estimates that simulating the brain on a supercomputer with existing microchips would generate an annual electrical bill of about $3 billion.

The project was utterly dependent on massive increases in computer performance that haven't happened. And I don't see how those sorts of increases can happen at all using conventional silicon integrated circuit technology. We would need an entirely new technology to make this happen and all the candidates for that are at best in the very early stages of development, at worst entirely theoretical.
Chrisw

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Thommo » Dec 15, 2014 7:56 pm

home_ wrote:

Maybe you could just redirect electricity from brain onto silicon chips, and the activity of the brain would just cease.

Redirect electricity?

If you "are" electric activity in your brain (and assuredly this isn't the case anyway, with chemical interactions forming a large part of the picture in addition), then redirecting electric activity from the brain (so that there is no longer electric activity in your brain) is still death, it's still the end of "you". The particular electrons are not the key element here.
Thommo

Print view this post

#17  Postby kennyc » Dec 15, 2014 8:06 pm

Thommo wrote:
home_ wrote:

Redirect electricity?

If you "are" electric activity in your brain (and assuredly this isn't the case anyway, with chemical interactions forming a large part of the picture in addition), then redirecting electric activity from the brain (so that there is no longer electric activity in your brain) is still death, it's still the end of "you". The particular electrons are not the key element here.

Maybe his brain shorted out? Does that cause spontaneous human combustion? :rofl:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Steve » Dec 15, 2014 8:09 pm

More brain research is needed. Lets face it - wetware computers move slow and mostly they fake the results. A lot of what you think you see is actually just filled in from memory. Current computers like my cheapy flashdrive googlebook run every detail and write every pixel. What is needed is a way to fudge, and then a way to prevent that fudge from being too noticeable, or worse fatal. I think the brain fudging is the gap that religion fills, and science eliminates.
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#19  Postby laklak » Dec 15, 2014 8:19 pm

Reminds me of a science fiction series by Dan Simmons. People have been using transporter technology for centuries, but finally find out that it actually kills the original and recreates an exact copy on the other end. The copy has all the memories of the original, so it figures it is the same "I" as the original, and hence has no problem using the transporter again.

I'll walk, thanks.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Thommo » Dec 15, 2014 8:39 pm

Steve wrote:More brain research is needed. Lets face it - wetware computers move slow and mostly they fake the results.

When robots can do gymnastics we'll see far better whether this is true. At present brains are way better at loads of tasks (including things like many areas of mathematics) than computers. Programmable computers are just really good at computing, a somewhat narrow subset of tasks.
Thommo

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Science & Technology