YT & Adblockers

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

YT & Adblockers

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 26, 2023 1:19 pm

Video player will be blocked after 3 videos

It looks like you may be using an ad blocker. Video playback will be blocked unless YouTube is allowlisted or the ad blocker is disabled.
Ads allow YouTube to be used by billions worldwide.
You can go ad-free with YouTube Premium and creators can still get paid from your subscription.

Looks like it's goodbye to YT from me. :hand:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Re: YT & Adblockers

#2  Postby Fenrir » Oct 26, 2023 1:39 pm

Ya xould give grayjay a try
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 26, 2023 1:52 pm

Never heard of it! Honestly, I don't really care too much - I only watch when I've got enough time to not feel obliged to do the things I should really be doing instead of watching YT.

I've always detested advertising and seeing how YT adverts work on the family TV is enough to make me rather quit YT than put up with the onslaught of mindless crap.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Fenrir » Oct 26, 2023 2:37 pm

Grayjay is not a video platform itself.

Grayjay will play youtube, or twitch or soundcloud etc etc without ads.

Grayjay also lets you download without "premium" paid accounts.

You can still get your curated feed and maintain subscriptions.

Grayjay is focused on the creator and not the platform.

It's kinda early alpha and may not work out but i figure it's worth supporting to see how it goes.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 26, 2023 3:10 pm

Ok, sounds interesting! I'm happy to support channels I like with donations, but the price of premium is simply too high in Thai baht (I could get Prime, Netflix and Disney and those 3 would cost less together monthly than a YT sub), plus I doubt many of the most interesting creators get much benefit from Premium. Just corporate executives trying to justify their exorbitant pay by making 'savings' for the company that won't actually earn them an additional penny.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 26, 2023 3:43 pm

Oh, doesn't seem like they've got a Windows version yet, so you have to install emulators and the like. Well, an option in the future, potentially.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 26, 2023 5:43 pm

I'm desktop-oriented, and MacOS-oriented, and I've found that, so far, when opening videos in what Firefox calls a "private window" (meaning, there is no tracking possible), there is no popup hassling me. That popup only appears when YT knows who you are. It's as if viewed it without logging in. Yes, once we're in the private window, we've lost all the data that tells YT what vids we like, but we can still open our logged in page that has the recommendations, and related stuff (much of it horrendous) shows up in the side bar in the private window. I like my music videos and, this means I can still watch that stuff. It's just a few more clicks and delays, but no stinking ads.

If advertisers are paying a lot for the amount of views their ads get (mainly skipped after moments), I don't know why they think their approach is effective, but apparently, they do think that. Either way, I'm not watching ads while those in the know tell me that content creators (except for the ones with a million subs and so on) are not making lots of money from clicks, and some have resorted to showing ads from their own sponsors inside their videos or looking for donations on Patreon or donations in live streams and so on. At least they've eliminated the middle-man, bane of commerce. Google bought YT, and the rest is history. If someday, there is no youtube, I won't perish. I'm a bit addicted, but less so now that it's become a little bit of work to watch. Much of the content I really can't get along without is not on YT, but is on other websites who don't care what my IP is.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 26, 2023 7:00 pm

Hmm yeah, that'll be fine for me - thanks! I don't mind the little extra admin to avoid being advertized at with stuff I don't want to buy anyway.

I'll keep an eye on Grayjay though, that sounds promising.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Seabass » Oct 26, 2023 8:54 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Video player will be blocked after 3 videos

It looks like you may be using an ad blocker. Video playback will be blocked unless YouTube is allowlisted or the ad blocker is disabled.
Ads allow YouTube to be used by billions worldwide.
You can go ad-free with YouTube Premium and creators can still get paid from your subscription.

Looks like it's goodbye to YT from me. :hand:

I don't have that problem. It might be because I use this?

https://github.com/bogachenko/fuckfuckadblock
https://ublockorigin.com/
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#10  Postby THWOTH » Oct 27, 2023 7:58 am

just embed a YT video in a post-reply page here, and watch it in the preview box without ads.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 27, 2023 9:30 am

The simplest so far is simply to open the video from my feed which still opens the video but simply stops it playing with a warning message, then copy and paste the link into a Firefox private window.

Utterly pointless. I don't know when companies decided that forcing adverts on people who don't want to buy anything was a coherent business strategy, but they've bamboozled enough paying advertisers to make it appear a legitimate practice.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Evolving » Oct 27, 2023 1:53 pm

I got that message a few weeks ago from YouTube and decided, you know what, I'll just subscribe for - I think - €17 a month. I think it is quite a lot compared to other streaming platforms, but on the plus side it's more than just films and TV: it's a truly impressive selection of music as well, particularly classical music.

It may be a coincidence, but all of a sudden YouTube is offering me films that I never encountered before on YouTube. I'm currently watching Hot Fuzz, and have a tab open with The Name of the Rose, to watch when I'm finished with Hot Fuzz. (I always watch these things in brief snatches, when I can find some time.)
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Animavore » Oct 27, 2023 2:03 pm

I got that message too a couple of weeks ago. I found a clever script that opens YouTube as if in an iframe (ie. embedded).

https://www.reddit.com/u/pir0zhki/s/8n5YkstNKr

But then Ad Block Plus updated the other day and now it blocks ads again.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14  Postby THWOTH » Oct 27, 2023 2:59 pm

The really annoying one is they've blocked youtube-dl and yt-dlp which I was using to generate off-line teaching resources.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 27, 2023 3:19 pm

Evolving wrote: I'm currently watching Hot Fuzz...

:heart:

My favourite bit is the translation scene. If you've not yet got to it, you'll know when you see it.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#16  Postby THWOTH » Oct 27, 2023 3:42 pm

"...the greater good."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 27, 2023 3:56 pm

Evolving wrote:... subscribe for - I think - €17 a month. I think it is quite a lot compared to other streaming platforms...

€17 is about B650

Netflix is B169-279 depending on tier
Disney+ was, I think, B650 a year - so about B55 a month
Amazon Prime is B149 a month

I am pretty darn sure that Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime combined offer a vastly superior value over YT, and yet all together they cost at most B483 - so 25% cheaper than YT sub.

Of course, Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime don't have videos of cats doing stupid things, so it does somewhat mitigate the additional cost! :)

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby Evolving » Oct 27, 2023 4:01 pm

Yes, but not the range of classical music that YT has.

The translation scene is legendary! (seen it many times as a standalone clip)

"What did he say?"
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Evolving » Oct 27, 2023 4:07 pm

I don't want to listen to classical music at all on YouTube if it's interrupted by ads. They have no shame: they start the ad right in the middle of the piece, don't even wait for it to end. (At any rate, they did the last time I listened without an ad blocker, which is quite some time ago.)
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#20  Postby The_Piper » Oct 27, 2023 4:16 pm

I'm a desktop user as well, and like to play news and educational videos while I'm working, doing chores, driving, and laying down to sleep. Basically all the time some days. And all manner of subjects, music, etc. I have a watch later list over 500 videos long now lol! I am dealing with the commercials now. I have never had to subscribe to any streaming sites, cable tv, etc. YouTube is the best thing to happen to my media consumption since VCRs.
TLDR, I use YouTube a lot.

Sent from my SM-S536DL using Tapatalk
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Science & Technology