Arab blasphemy law being drafted

Law would empower countries to file cases against non-resident violators

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Arab blasphemy law being drafted

#21  Postby Thommo » Oct 08, 2013 11:20 am

Matthew Shute wrote:I have to wonder whether they've thought this through, though. What about an imam denouncing paganism or Hinduism? Won't that kind of thing count?

I don't think so, from a strictly neutral point of view a religion is a body of people who worship a god and since there's only one true god (PBUH) these beliefs are not religions. Further since the gods of these religions don't exist there's no actual harm to any real living person, unlike when someone defames, picking an example at random, the prophet Mohammed (PBUH), who is actually harmed by defamation as he still lives at Allah's side in paradise.
Thommo

Print view this post

#22  Postby chairman bill » Oct 08, 2013 11:26 am

Thommo wrote:
Matthew Shute wrote:I have to wonder whether they've thought this through, though. What about an imam denouncing paganism or Hinduism? Won't that kind of thing count?

I don't think so, from a strictly neutral point of view a religion is a body of people who worship a god and since there's only one true god (PBUH) these beliefs are not religions. Further since the gods of these religions don't exist there's no actual harm to any real living person, unlike when someone defames, picking an example at random, the prophet Mohammed (PBUH), who is actually harmed by defamation as he still lives at Allah's side in paradise.

:clap: Well done. Though to be fair, this religious apologetics shit is quite easy, so long as you can get into the fuckwitted mindset required. I find it quite easy, but I'm not sure that's a good thing :?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Matthew Shute » Oct 08, 2013 11:27 am

Thommo wrote:

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up and explaining it from the perfectly neutral and, well, the only absolutely inerrant point of view.
:mrgreen:
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Matthew Shute » Oct 08, 2013 11:38 am

I'd tell Allah (peas be upon him) to go to hell but, of course, as an omnipresent deity he must already be there.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Thommo » Oct 08, 2013 11:39 am

chairman bill wrote: :clap: Well done. Though to be fair, this religious apologetics shit is quite easy, so long as you can get into the fuckwitted mindset required. I find it quite easy, but I'm not sure that's a good thing :?

Yeah, argument is much easier if you don't bother with evidence and easier still if you forgo logic as well. I have to admit it's quite relaxing, maybe I should take up a religion and save myself the intellectual bother more often. :ask:
Thommo

Print view this post

#26  Postby chairman bill » Oct 08, 2013 11:43 am

You're right - there is a relaxing element to it. I wonder whether that provides a reinforcement for the behaviour, and that those who indulge in apologetic fuckwittery have simply become conditioned to do it again & again?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Alan B » Oct 08, 2013 12:43 pm

The official insisted that the draft law does not clash with freedom of expression.

“The law does not interfere in any way with the freedom of opinion and expression which is well protected and guaranteed. All penal laws in Arab countries criminalise defamation of religions but there are no specific sanctions when an abuser is outside the country. Therefore, the main goal of this law is to deter all forms of defamation of religions and give each country that ratifies it the right to file lawsuits against those who offend religions, even if they are not residents,” he said.
My emphasis.
Yeah, I can just see the EU or the US ratifying this pile of excrement - but I suppose that there will be some GOP members who will try to push this through...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 08, 2013 2:25 pm

Blackadder wrote:This is a nation that will be hosting the football World Cup in 2022. They shouldn't be allowed to host a fucking coffee morning until they progress beyond 14th century twatbastardness.

Entirely agree.

I wonder if there is going to be a monument to all the foreign workers who have died building these stadia?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Oeditor » Oct 15, 2013 8:14 pm

chairman bill wrote:And clearly, any UK refusal to accede to the demands for extradition by an Arab state, would be Islamaphobia & nothing more
That that recently coined term has so quickly gained such force should be a warning to all. It's not just creationists who have a Wedge Strategy.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Oeditor » Oct 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Alan B wrote:
The official insisted that the draft law does not clash with freedom of expression.

“The law does not interfere in any way with the freedom of opinion and expression which is well protected and guaranteed. All penal laws in Arab countries criminalise defamation of religions but there are no specific sanctions when an abuser is outside the country. Therefore, the main goal of this law is to deter all forms of defamation of religions and give each country that ratifies it the right to file lawsuits against those who offend religions, even if they are not residents,” he said.
My emphasis.
Yeah, I can just see the EU or the US ratifying this pile of excrement - but I suppose that there will be some GOP members who will try to push this through...
I take it that you're being sarcastic. However, I fear it's just the sort of thing that the EU bureaucrats would lap up.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Beatsong » Oct 15, 2013 9:39 pm

Blip wrote:this sort of cunning stunt

Spoonerism? :ask:
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Blip » Oct 16, 2013 8:16 am

Beatsong wrote:
Blip wrote:this sort of cunning stunt

Spoonerism? :ask:

I chose my words with care. ;)
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Alan B » Oct 16, 2013 8:55 am

Connected with this blasphemy topic is this little gem:
False Accusers Get Death Sentence Under New Pakistan Blasphemy Laws.
Pakistan’s constitutionally mandated Council of Islamic Ideology told the government anyone who wrongly accuses a person of blasphemy against Islam must be executed—a measure intended to protect innocent people who are often killed by mobs.

The CII demanded the measure after endorsing Pakistan’s blasphemy laws, which allow a death sentence for people found guilty of desecrating the Quran, the Prophet Muhammad, mosques or Islamic beliefs.

Charges of blasphemy are sometimes leveled to settle scores or acquire property, a Pakistan Today editorial said on Friday (Sept. 20).

“Once a person is arrested it takes years, sometimes eight to 10 years, to prove his or her innocence in courts. Even if honorably acquitted, the innocent victim is not safe” and sometimes “killed inside the jail or after they were released,” the editorial said.

charismanews
So, the twats have got this blasphemy thing hung around their necks and to stop people making false accusations (of blasphemy) they're threatening to kill them...
If they did away with the blasphemy laws they wouldn't have got themselves in this position.

:doh: :doh: :doh:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 16, 2013 8:58 am

Alan B wrote:
If they did away with the blasphemy laws they wouldn't have got themselves in this position.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

But if they did that who would protect the all might god they worship, I mean he is only all powerful not you know all powerful...so he totally needs lowly mortals to protect him from other puny mortals that his all powerful power can't all powerfully touch.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Islam